Hi,

I bought 10 Torches from Amazon. I was planning to take 1 for myself and sell the other 9.

Turns out, I can't find a SINGLE Torch that has no problem with it. Let me describe shortly each phones problem (each number is a different phone):

1) Slider is very tight. Needs a lot of effort to open and close.
    2) Same as above
    3) Same as above, with the addition of bad vibrating noise when slider open
    4) Slides easy, but top is loose when open, so makes a huge noise when vibrating
    5) As above
    6) As above, but top is so loose, that the 4 hardware buttons 'double press' (sort of like the feeling of a storm)
    7) When slide is closed, the whole screen is loose, so the whole touch screen has the 'storm' touch feeling to it
    8) Slider sounds like there is sand in between it.
    9) Slider 'clicks' half way when closing it, as if there is a piece getting in the way
    10) Touchpad is sticky, especially when slide is open

It seems very weird to me that in a batch of 10 phones, I couldn't find a single one that has some decent build quality. Seems like 90% of the problems are with the slide...

Short of returning them ALL to amazon, do you guys have any ideas on what to do? Is anyone else having this many problems?
    And even if I do return them to amazon, will I even get 10 good phones back?
    Last edited by alkit; 09-18-10 at 12:29 PM.
    09-16-10 03:45 AM
    ive heard this case fixed some of the sliding issues

AGF GRT Shell - Cell Phone Accessories - Wireless from AT&T
    09-16-10 04:17 AM
    The first two phones you described sound pretty amazing actually.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-10 05:24 AM
    Is it me or does something not seem right? Who would buy 10 devices sight unseen?

09-16-10 06:23 AM
    Is it me or does something not seem right? Who would buy 10 devices sight unseen?

Brand name products from a reputable seller like amazon, I did not ever imagine I had to check them out before buying...
    09-16-10 06:26 AM
    Have you done no research on first device releases?
    Every body always complains about first device releasing with poor build qualities. You should have read the posts about peoples complaints, so you knew what to expect.

Not every device will be perfect. And the tight slider ones seem like keepers for sure! As they loosen up from use they will wear into a snug comfortable slide.

I think you are too picky or suffer from OCD

*facepalm*

09-16-10 07:08 AM
    If you are selling ten devices, why are you opening them up and playing with them?

09-16-10 07:15 AM
    If you are selling ten devices, why are you opening them up and playing with them?

Good point - I'm actually selling them overseas, so they need to be unlocked. So I do manage to get a quick feel for them while unlocking them.
    09-16-10 07:18 AM
    I dont know man, Ive bought one and my wife bought one and they are both rock solid. Personally I think the slider mechanism os something that is going to change over time as it is set of moving parts. A tight slider will likely loosen a bit over time, and one that clicks will more than likely also settle into a more easy to operate mode.
    09-16-10 07:22 AM
    Every body always complains about first device releasing with poor build qualities. You should have read the posts about peoples complaints, so you knew what to expect.

Not every device will be perfect. And the tight slider ones seem like keepers for sure! As they loosen up from use they will wear into a snug comfortable slide.

*facepalm*

You right, I am quite picky. But on the other hand, is it crazy to expect RIM to make a device with an easy, solid slide that doesn't vibrate? So yeh, for $600, I'd really like to have a good quality device. I'm not aware of any Nokia or HTC phones that suffer from such common sliding issues. Thats just my 2c.

I did read up some reviews when the phone was first released and I did not see any complaints about slide. I must admit however that I only found this forum after buying the phones.

I also decided in the end to keep the stiff slider for myself and hopefully it will loosen up as you said.
    09-16-10 07:24 AM

*facepalm*

That MAY be true, but NOT because of bad hardware in the first generation product. I'm an early adopter on many electronic items and often the first generation has the best hardware as the manufacturer can't afford failure out of the gate. Later, they may cheap out on certain parts to save a few bucks. The problem with 1st gen products is typically with unexpected software issues...and the more complaints come from early adopters who post on message boards. Trust me, even if RIM does nothing to address the wiggles or squeaks, when someone's office hands out a torch two years from now, no one will give it a second thought unless functionality is really affected.
    09-16-10 07:27 AM
    @alkit - Just out of curiosity, where does it say they were built? It should say on the side of the box. Like Mexico 1 or Canada 3..
    Maybe you could list the build area beside the issues you listed above?
    09-16-10 07:27 AM
    have you used a slider before? if you want to see faulty, check out every iphone 4. Thats apparently a fourth generation device :P
    09-16-10 07:54 AM
    Every torch is faulty!! Nuff said!

09-16-10 09:47 AM
    Well, that's just beyond weird....I happen to have two completely perfect Torch devices....so my two were the exception that made the rule?!?!

C'mon....

somethin's rotten and I ain't even in Denmark...
    09-16-10 01:13 PM
    I smell a troll. The odds that 10 devices purchased at the same time would have issues is beyond coincidence.
    09-16-10 02:21 PM
    @alkit - Just out of curiosity, where does it say they were built? It should say on the side of the box. Like Mexico 1 or Canada 3..
    Maybe you could list the build area beside the issues you listed above?
    All are MEXICO 4 except for the one with the loose 'storm' screen when slide is closed - that one is CANADA 1
    09-16-10 02:27 PM
    All are MEXICO 4 except for the one with the loose 'storm' screen when slide is closed - that one is CANADA 1
    Thanks alkit. That's very interesting because from what i've read, the Mexico 4 builds were the best.
    09-16-10 02:30 PM
    I smell a troll. The odds that 10 devices purchased at the same time would have issues is beyond coincidence.
    Lol, sounds insane doesn't it?
    Some boxes even arrives with a double sticker on them (and the protectors on either side of the trackpad removed). It is very odd.
    I've emailed amazon to ask them what they suggest I do. Once I get a response, I'll let u guys know...
    09-16-10 02:32 PM
    Same here!!! Mine is fine first time out. No returns, exchanges or anything.

09-16-10 02:33 PM
    Thanks alkit. That's very interesting because from what i've read, the Mexico 4 builds were the best.
    Damn! So how did I land up with such a bad bunch? It doesn't make sense?!
    09-16-10 02:34 PM
    Lol, sounds insane doesn't it?
    Some boxes even arrives with a double sticker on them (and the protectors on either side of the trackpad removed). It is very odd.
    I've emailed amazon to ask them what they suggest I do. Once I get a response, I'll let u guys know...
    I hope you're not getting skrewed around. This sounds very odd.
    I bought my Torch about a month after they came out. Slide is a little sticky, but getting better. No other problems.

I hope you're not getting skrewed around. This sounds very odd.
    Tell me about it - I never expected something like this from amazon. I've only received fantastic service/products from them. This is my first time having a problem, never mind with ALL 10 of the same device.
    09-16-10 02:36 PM
    I have 3 Torch's all Mexico 4 and are all flawless 1st time out.
    09-16-10 02:45 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD