I keep having issues with my BIS dropping and my blackberry dropping off the network. The only fix is resetting to factory settings. Anyone else running into this issue? If so are there any other fixes besides a reset?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 02:03 PM
    I keep having issues with my BIS dropping and my blackberry dropping off the network. The only fix is resetting to factory settings. Anyone else running into this issue? If so are there any other fixes besides a reset?

Joe that happened to me 3 times, same exact symptom. Seems it might have had something to do with leaving my home and my Wi-Fi network as strange as that might sound.

Initially I could do a battery pull and get it back but that stopped working.

Not sure but I just left the AT&T store with a new 9800 so hopefully that will end that MAJOR issue.

Joe
    08-16-10 02:37 PM
    I have posted 2 similar emails. However, it is only happening to me when I take my SIM out and put it back in. The only way to get it to register on the Blackberry nertwork is to do a wipe.

Let me know if you find a solution.
    08-16-10 03:17 PM
    Joe that happened to me 3 times, same exact symptom. Seems it might have had something to do with leaving my home and my Wi-Fi network as strange as that might sound.

Initially I could do a battery pull and get it back but that stopped working.

Not sure but I just left the AT&T store with a new 9800 so hopefully that will end that MAJOR issue.

Joe
    I thought I was crazy to think it was the Wi-Fi but now that you mentioned it I agree - I think it was the Wi-Fi. This is my sequence of events:

1. Bought Torch and headed straight to work: No issues, connected to BIS
    2. Brought Torch home and connected to Wi-Fi: No issues, still connected to BIS
    3. Left home to go to gym: BIS not connecting
    4. Came home and connected to Wi-Fi: BIS still not connecting
    5. Did a factory reset, did not connect back to Wi-Fi: No issues, connected to BIS
    6. Left home went out and about for weekend: No issues, connected to BIS
    7. Came home on Sunday and connected to Wi-Fi: No issues, still connected to BIS
    8. Left for work this morning: BIS not connecting
    9. Frustratingly set it back to factory settings" BIS connected

This is a major issue...how have more people not experienced it?
    08-16-10 05:00 PM
    Yeah I had this problem as well just turn your wifi off when your not home and it should be fine that's what they told me to do and also if you have os5 apps it might be messing with your software......took me an hour with att to get this lmao

08-16-10 05:23 PM
    Yeah I had this problem as well just turn your wifi off when your not home and it should be fine that's what they told me to do and also if you have os5 apps it might be messing with your software......took me an hour with att to get this lmao

Yeah turning off the wifi doesn't work for me...

08-16-10 05:57 PM
    Glad I read this post
    I just swapped my torch because of this very problem

I like to do a couple complete battery drains on a new phone so Ive been turning on the wifi & bluetooth & gps to drain the the last few percent
    (the last 5% seems to take forever)
    And all of a sudden no bis turning the wifi on would bring it back temporarily

So now what do we do not use the wifi?
    Where do you report these problems without having to purchase tech support?
    08-16-10 07:29 PM
    I purchased the torch on opening day (Thursday), Thursday night lost BIS connection, factory defaulted phone and got BIS connection back, Friday afternoon lost connection again. I went to AT&T and they replaced SIM card and torch. Set my Torch back up friday night, Saturday morning No BIS Connection, factory defaulted to get BIS Connection. SUnday morning no BIS Connection, I returned the phone on Sunday. I can not be resetting my phone everyday. I loved the Torch but the problems need to be worked out. I am back to my 9700 wishing I had a torch
    08-16-10 09:48 PM
    I have had a similar problem. BIS says not connected but I can still browse the internet fine (wifi was definitely off), however, apps didn't work because it says I need a data plan to access it. I would say about 75% of the time it would say not connected. I spent an hour on the phone with ATT and no solution. The guy said it was weird because everything seemed fine. I have the unlimited plan and he said that the "older" data plans might cause problems (I guess maybe since you have to be grandfathered in).

With that said, I upgraded from an 8310 and I had to use the 8310 sim card because the sim card that was sent with the torch wasn't setup right or something according to ATT lady. I specifically asked the lady if this would affect the performance of the features of the phone and she said no. So is it possible that the old sim card (circa August 2008) could be causing problems?
    08-16-10 10:34 PM
    i'm sorry to ask this question..
    because this is the first time i'm reading this..
    i bought the Torch last Thursday as well..

is there any message on the screen that informs you that you're not connected to BIS?
    or you just don't receive messages. period?

thanks guys and gals!
    08-16-10 10:39 PM
    I was getting various messages depending on the app
    Browser would just stall out
    Twitter - services currently unavailable
    Visible vote - problem talking to server using direct tcp
    The weather channel - would just time out
    No notifications for hours
    Also got 3 txt messages saying I needed a data plan (dont know if this was related)
    etc etc
    Last edited by tlgemxx; 08-16-10 at 10:49 PM. Reason: add
    08-16-10 10:48 PM
    I haven't seen any notifications about not being connected, but you can check to see if you are by tapping the top of the home screen to bring up the connections window. Then click on "service status."
    08-16-10 10:57 PM
    ok thanks!
    i will do just that!
    08-16-10 11:01 PM
    If someone has a solutions I would love to hear it becuase I loved my Torch and if this problem gets corrected I would buy it once again. I sometimes wonder if it was an application I had installed. I only had a handful installed, poynt, quickpull, personal assisant, cardstar, google voice, google sync, gmail.

Thanks
    08-17-10 05:09 PM
    Are there that few torch owners or are we the only ones with this problem?
    I havent seen anything posted anywhere else

I traded my torch & installed 161 on the new one we"ll see if that helps
    So far its gone off 3g on to edge and the BB bis symbol disappeared (3times) right after installing but it came right back & has been ok since
    08-17-10 06:00 PM
    i'm sorry to ask this question..
    because this is the first time i'm reading this..
    i bought the Torch last Thursday as well..

is there any message on the screen that informs you that you're not connected to BIS?
    or you just don't receive messages. period?

thanks guys and gals!
    You will also not notice if you are connected to BIS based on the little blackberry symbol not being in the upper right hand corner of the screen (right next to the EDGE/3G indicators).

I am so afraid to connect my newest (third) torch to wifi now. Ugh...
    08-17-10 06:25 PM
    I have now been on 3G/EDGE for almost 24 hours with NO issues. I will not turn WiFi on. I suppose there is really no need to. WiFi is definitely the cause of this issue. I thought maybe it was my SIM swapping, but I have swapped between numerous phones without issue.

The issue seems to be if you are on WiFi and then leave WiFi, the 3G does not seem to connect to the Blackberry network.

I agree with the poster above. How can others not notice this? Are they not using Wifi?

Now I have to decide if this is reason enough to return the unit or just hang tight on 3G until a fix is released.
    08-17-10 09:45 PM
    Not sure if this will help, but I dropped BIS while on WiFi once and decided to reset my Torch to my router (basically removing the router from the WiFi list on the phone then using WPS to connect again.)

Since then, I have not had any problem. Leave, return, hit other WiFi, etc. No problem.

I am using a D-Link DIR-655 router with AT&T HSI at home. Granted, this may only be similar to the problems that you are having. Hope you find a solution.

C
    08-17-10 09:57 PM
    - Try sending Service books.
    - Go to manage connections and run the diagnostics on mobile network it takes a minute or two.

I had bis dropping in the past week too nothing helped until i ran the diagnostics.
    08-17-10 10:45 PM
    I have had a similar problem. BIS says not connected but I can still browse the internet fine (wifi was definitely off), however, apps didn't work because it says I need a data plan to access it. I would say about 75% of the time it would say not connected. I spent an hour on the phone with ATT and no solution. The guy said it was weird because everything seemed fine. I have the unlimited plan and he said that the "older" data plans might cause problems (I guess maybe since you have to be grandfathered in).

With that said, I upgraded from an 8310 and I had to use the 8310 sim card because the sim card that was sent with the torch wasn't setup right or something according to ATT lady. I specifically asked the lady if this would affect the performance of the features of the phone and she said no. So is it possible that the old sim card (circa August 2008) could be causing problems?
    I was able to get my problem (see above) resolved after being on the phone with ATT. The lady guided me through the process of wiping my device. After the wiping process was complete, the blackberry logo returned to the top and I am now connected. I definitely feel as though I am now experiencing the Torch like it was meant to be experienced. Great device.
    08-17-10 11:09 PM
    I was able to get my problem (see above) resolved after being on the phone with ATT. The lady guided me through the process of wiping my device. After the wiping process was complete, the blackberry logo returned to the top and I am now connected. I definitely feel as though I am now experiencing the Torch like it was meant to be experienced. Great device.
    Yeah but now try connecting to WiFi and then leaving your house. Let us know if you connect to the Internets

08-17-10 11:15 PM
    I just turned off wifi and did a little test with some apps using BIS and it everything worked fine. It hasn't dropped yet even after connecting and disconnecting from wifi over the course of the day.

One thing I forgot to add, I am now using the sim card that shipped with the Torch. It replaced the sim card from my 8310 that I was using when I first activated the Torch. I'm not sure if that made a difference or not.

I hope you get it worked out because I know the frustration you're feeling. Good luck.
    08-17-10 11:30 PM
    I had this happen to me today after rebooting phone. BB icon wasn't appearing on home screen and no emails & data would work. Spoke with AT&T made sure it wasn't SIM card, tried to reconnect by running diagnostic test. Diagnostic failed on the BB connection, so had to do a wipe of the phone. Finally backed up the phone and then did a wipe of the phone. Upon reboot BIS worked and I restored everything. I hope this doesn't happen again or else I will look into going back to my BB 9000, what a PITA.
    08-17-10 11:57 PM
    So...now this issue just happened again on my third torch. This time I didn't ever have my wifi on. I did a battery pull and when the phone rebooted I couldnt connect. This is getting really annoying really fast...

Verklarung likes this.
    08-18-10 08:27 AM
    So...now this issue just happened again on my third torch. This time I didn't ever have my wifi on. I did a battery pull and when the phone rebooted I couldnt connect. This is getting really annoying really fast...

As per the previous post, are you using the SIM card that came with your Torch or the card from you previous phone? Use the card that came with the phone and if need be, wipe and reload.
    08-18-10 08:45 AM
550 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD