I just bought my wife the Torch and I'm impressed! OS6 is smooth and there are many many improvements. The form factor is really great and RIM has really hit a homerun with this one in my opinion.

My only issue going forward that I think RIM really really really needs to take over control over their OS and focus on its own software upgrades like Droid and Apple as opposed to carrier updates. Carrier's have a far less vested interest than RIM should have on improving battery life, small glitches and other software related issues on a RIM device.

Just my .02. I know I'm not alone.
    08-21-10 05:30 PM
    Alone you are not. I really did not even want or consider this phone as a viable
    unit to replace my 9700. It crapped out and my carrier sent me this for no charge.

There has been more unexpected changes for the better than annoyances than I
    expected. Granted I am only a day in but I can definitely see this as being a pretty
    damn good unit.

I also agree about the software angle of your post. While RIM moved in the right
    direction on several fronts there are STILL issues I think need to be addressed.
    Those will take more courage on RIMs part than they are showing now.

All in all, color me pleasantly surprised.
    08-21-10 05:52 PM
    I'm still partial to the Bold 9000. If they had that with OS6 and a trackpad I'd be first in line.
    08-21-10 06:00 PM
    don't give up on rim brothers. bb is catching fire
    08-21-10 06:03 PM
    RIM in partnering with AT&T did move in the right direction. A concept from business school...planned obsolence (sp?)...Now we have a reason to buy the Torch 2...Better screen resolution...OS improvements...Improved browser...1GHz processor...8GB on board storage...1GB memory...battery that still go more than 30 hours without recharge...Sorry I got carried away...Just saw the Expendables.
    08-21-10 10:00 PM
    Best BB to date is the 9000. Period..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-10 10:04 PM
    I just bought my wife the Torch and I'm impressed! OS6 is smooth and there are many many improvements. The form factor is really great and RIM has really hit a homerun with this one in my opinion.

My only issue going forward that I think RIM really really really needs to take over control over their OS and focus on its own software upgrades like Droid and Apple as opposed to carrier updates. Carrier's have a far less vested interest than RIM should have on improving battery life, small glitches and other software related issues on a RIM device.

Just my .02. I know I'm not alone.
    I completely agree. And this is the best blackberry so far.
    08-22-10 08:16 AM
    I had a BB curve 8310 before this phone, I was ready to turn it back in, but keep it. Now that I know how to work it I love the Torch. I'll give you a tip if you still have desktop manager 5.0 on your pc upgrade to the new 6.0 big difference works great with the Torch.
    08-22-10 11:56 AM
    Uh oh. Amazinglygraceless has graced the 9800 forums with her presence.

As for the OP, I where that RIM needs to take over their own software updates. The only problem I can think of would be RIM's reluctance to release updates for older, EoL'd phone models (eg 9530) when a newer model hits the market, as they don't have to directly deal with monthly subscribers that are locked into a contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 12:54 PM
    I agree with the OP, the Torch is the best BB ever. And it's a great phone even when compared to the iPhone and Android. Tired of how "cool" it's become to bash the Torch.
    08-22-10 01:03 PM
    Yeaa finally people who have something positive to say. I am really loving my Torch and I agree it is the best BB ever. I tried Android for a month and it just was not for me. There is something addicting about BB that no other phone has.
    08-23-10 05:05 PM
    Now we have a reason to buy the Torch 2...Better screen resolution...OS improvements...Improved browser...1GHz processor...8GB on board storage...1GB memory...battery that still go more than 30 hours without recharge...Sorry I got carried away...Just saw the Expendables.
    So you're saying this phone leaves you with a desire for better features comparable to other 2010 smartphones? =P
    08-23-10 05:14 PM
    So you're saying this phone leaves you with a desire for better features comparable to other 2010 smartphones? =P
    Nope. I am happy with the Torch as it exists today. I am simply waiting with great anticipation on the next in line device which I know will be even better than what I have now. The improvements over my 9700 and then the 9800 make me really excited about where RIM will go from here. I believe that the partnership with AT&T will yield a device that will better compete with its contemporaries.
    08-23-10 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD