Hi folks,

I just got a BB Storm up and running on T-mobile ... love it.

This is my first BB with GPS and that got me to thinking ~ can the BES administrator monitor my location? YIKES!

Also, are they able to read all of the email and text messages that come across my BB?

How about WEB sites I visit?

I pay for my own BB access and joined the company BES for convenience. But the thought that they can see where I am 24/7 as well as read all of my communications is a lot to take in. After all, it is not a company cell, but my personal phone which I pay for.

Thanks!
    12-31-08 06:44 PM
    12-31-08 06:48 PM
    They can log literally EVERYTHING that your device does. Every single SMS/MMS, BBM message, email, web sites browsed, etc
    12-31-08 06:50 PM
    They can CHOOSE to monitor just about everything. Most BES admins do not have the time nor the inclination to monitor most of it though.
    12-31-08 06:52 PM
    Everything you do with your phone can be seen/logged by the BES admins. Expect zero pirvacy when on a BES. It does not mean your BES admin logs everything or even looks at the logs, but it can be done, and yes this includes your SMS, sall log, webhistory, gps, etc...
    12-31-08 06:53 PM
    I certainly don't have the time, or manpower to monitor everything.

But, I'm always watching

PS: I hate to repeat this (I say it at work all the time). Once you're connected to a BES, the data, ALL OF IT, belongs to the respective company, period. Yes, even if you bought your own Blackberry...
    12-31-08 06:54 PM
    Everything excepting BB Messenger Messages can be audited. And BBM can be restricted if they really want to.
    12-31-08 06:54 PM
    Everything excepting BB Messenger Messages can be audited. And BBM can be restricted if they really want to.
    I read in this thread that they can read/log BBM and I know the military tells us they can and not to use it. I don't know for sure, as I'm only seen BES for about an hour (didn't get to browse all of it's abilities), but ...take that for what it's worth.
    12-31-08 07:00 PM
    CRAP ... Now I hate my BB storm. If they were providing the device and paying for the service I would have nothing to complain about. But I purchase my own BB's and pay for access.

To think they can track me 24/7 ... who I am talking to ... what text messages I am sending ... maybe I am just paranoid, but that really bothers me.
    12-31-08 07:00 PM
    It is NEVER recommended to put a personal BB on a corporate network.
    12-31-08 07:03 PM
    Company execs at a certain level have their BB and service provided by the company. The rest can do so at their own expense. Being on the road all day, it is INCREDIBLY convenient to be on the BES for a lot of reasons. So I pay for the service myself.

Assuming my MIS department were amenable, are there any other options that are not so intrusive?

Given the extent to which I use my BB to communicate with my wife and kids and other family members via text and SMS, not to mention the hundreds of emails I send, they hav way too much access to my personal life. Through in knowing where I am 24/7 and I would rather be without it.
    12-31-08 07:11 PM
    Convenience it seems has a price. Since you are opting to have it on THEIR network, you give up any expectation of privacy.
    12-31-08 07:14 PM
    Convenience it seems has a price. Since you are opting to have it on THEIR network, you give up any expectation of privacy.

There is a book title in there somewhere .....
    12-31-08 07:17 PM
    Since its your personal BB you can remove it from your companys BES. I'd suggest showing them how much more productive you can be with it hooked up. Then hav them supply you with a seperate BB.

I don't think I could ever live with the idea of having someone else logging all my personal mobile activities.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-08 08:38 PM
    Everything you do with your phone can be seen/logged by the BES admins. Expect zero pirvacy when on a BES. It does not mean your BES admin logs everything or even looks at the logs, but it can be done, and yes this includes your SMS, sall log, webhistory, gps, etc...
    What's this scenario like with hosted personal BES? (I realize this may be an oxymoron)

Other than choosing a reputable company, is there anything else I can do to protect privacy?
    03-24-09 12:11 PM
    Tell them you have decided to pay for your own account or carry a second personal Storm/BlackBerry, that you foot the bill for. And keep personal calls and data on your phone, and business only activity on the work phone. Then you only need to think about GPS tracking, and leave biz phone in the car a couple of blocks away from any crack or Cat houses you happen to frequent.

CRAP ... Now I hate my BB storm. If they were providing the device and paying for the service I would have nothing to complain about. But I purchase my own BB's and pay for access.

To think they can track me 24/7 ... who I am talking to ... what text messages I am sending ... maybe I am just paranoid, but that really bothers me.
    Last edited by BlkBear; 03-24-09 at 12:23 PM.
    03-24-09 12:17 PM
    What's this scenario like with hosted personal BES? (I realize this may be an oxymoron)

Other than choosing a reputable company, is there anything else I can do to protect privacy?
    About the only thing you can really do to protect your "privacy" is to pay for your own personal account/phone and never use your business phone for any personal communications.

You can always ask about your companies privacy polices concerning Blackberry usage on and off the clock, but those policies can change at any time, without notice, and you could be stuck between a rock and a hard place if they happen to audit cell usage, when you thought you were in the clear.

Just remember one rule of thumb, text, be it email or txt messages, can forever. If you don't want it "monitored" don't send it from a device that you do not own or pay for the service.
    03-24-09 12:38 PM
    About the only thing you can really do to protect your "privacy" is to pay for your own personal account/phone and never use your business phone for any personal communications.

You can always ask about your companies privacy polices concerning Blackberry usage on and off the clock, but those policies can change at any time, without notice, and you could be stuck between a rock and a hard place if they happen to audit cell usage, when you thought you were in the clear.

Just remember one rule of thumb, text, be it email or txt messages, can forever. If you don't want it "monitored" don't send it from a device that you do not own or pay for the service.
    I guess that's the price I have to pay if I want hosted BES. It's a personal BB with a personal hosted Exchange account. My main job doesn't pay for (or expect me to have) any of this. I just do it for the sake of convenience and productivity.

I was more concerned with a bored admin thumbing through my data at a third party Exchange/BES hosting service.
    03-24-09 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD