I searched the forums and this question has been asked a couple times but no one seemed to have answered it...
    Aftering selecting to trust a certificate for the facebook app it asks for my keystore password. I don't think I ever created one and I'm on my LAST attempt, I've tried every password I've ever used on my berry. What to do???
    02-27-08 08:49 AM
    This also happened to me.
    Brand new Curve 8310 - Downloading Google Maps.
    Was asked to enter the key. Never ever entered one - phone brand new out of the sealed box.

I ignored the warning - carried on installing. Got program loaded and have not had an issue - so far.

Martin
    02-27-08 12:47 PM
    Nothin' eh? Can anyone at least tell me what EXACTLY gets lost?
    02-28-08 09:15 PM
    It only wipes out the certificates on the device.

To disable:

In Desktop Manager go into Certificate Sync and choose Options. Then uncheck Automatically Synchronise My Device's Certificate Data When My Device is Connected to the Computer.
    03-06-08 11:18 AM
    I searched the forums and this question has been asked a couple times but no one seemed to have answered it...
    Aftering selecting to trust a certificate for the facebook app it asks for my keystore password. I don't think I ever created one and I'm on my LAST attempt, I've tried every password I've ever used on my berry. What to do???
    I went into Options>Security Options>Key Stores. Once I was in there I pushed the menu button and I got the option to change the password. I never set one up so I tried typing in my phone password as the current password and than it let me choose a new one. I tried going into my facebook app and doing the trusted certificate thing and the new password worked.
    04-23-08 09:11 PM
    You got lucky I had to get a new phone because it was about to be wiped out.
    I have a post here about it from about a month or so ago. I was told some phones have a memory leak or something.
    It was a coincidence that I was putting Facebook in my phone. I was also told to check the box when you DL the app. That asks for permission. Then press cancel when the thing asks for a password.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-08 09:35 PM
    I went into Options>Security Options>Key Stores. Once I was in there I pushed the menu button and I got the option to change the password. I never set one up so I tried typing in my phone password as the current password and than it let me choose a new one. I tried going into my facebook app and doing the trusted certificate thing and the new password worked.
    This is strange. Today I tried going to AvantGo. It prompted my about a certificate. I told it to Trust it. I was prompted for my Key Store password. I never created one. I enter a couple of common passwords that I use. Nothing worked. Then I read your post. I don't use a password for my phone. But I did try it a couple of weeks ago for about a day. I tried that password in the key store and it worked.
    04-24-08 10:55 AM
    I know I figured that out just the other day! It was some stupid password I made as my password when the screen locks as a test. Gosh lol
    04-27-08 03:30 PM
    It only wipes out the certificates on the device.

WRONG - My new Verizon 8830 is "Wiping" as we speak from the same problem. I backed it up just before the 10th try at the password - hope I can restore it.
    06-14-08 09:49 PM
    WRONG - My new Verizon 8830 is "Wiping" as we speak from the same problem. I backed it up just before the 10th try at the password - hope I can restore it.
    I was able to restore it after it was wiped. I then tried to trust a site (Google) and was asked to "create" a keystore password - which I did. BUT - I then got a message that I could not trust the site because of "IT Policy". WTF? My corporate IT dept controls what sites I want to trust on my handheld device?

Any suggestions?
    06-14-08 10:08 PM
    I was able to restore it after it was wiped. I then tried to trust a site (Google) and was asked to "create" a keystore password - which I did. BUT - I then got a message that I could not trust the site because of "IT Policy". WTF? My corporate IT dept controls what sites I want to trust on my handheld device?

Any suggestions?

Even stranger - I was able to use Configuration->Security->Certificates to trust the google site!
    06-14-08 10:12 PM
    the secret to the Key Password Issue is use your BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Its easy, first back up your black berry, then wipe it and the connect it to the desktop manager and it well ask you to enter in a pass key for your phone. What ever you enter is going to be the pass key store. It takes all of 5 minutes to do and then you can use all features that Research on the Move requires a pass key for.
    09-01-08 11:34 PM
    the secret to the Key Password Issue is use your BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Its easy, first back up your black berry, then wipe it and the connect it to the desktop manager and it well ask you to enter in a pass key for your phone. What ever you enter is going to be the pass key store. It takes all of 5 minutes to do and then you can use all features that Research on the Move requires a pass key for.
    Us Mac users don't have the power of Desktop Manager
    09-06-08 09:50 AM
    I have just entered the 10th attempt on this Keystore password on the Blackberry Pearl - yes that password I have never created, never been given, never known - and got it wrong the 10th time and it has wiped my entire system.

Therefore, it is not an empty threat. It does not just reset your certificates. It wipes your entire sytem.

These programmers have a laugh! What can we do to Blackberry users to do their heads in? Send them barmy? I know, let's make up a mysterious password AND give them an ultimatum. Then, let's totally waste their time and control them like a flipping puppet by crashing their system and making them set it all up agan. And lose all their saved data. What a hooot!!

Blackberry: Take Notice of your customers! We're humans, not computers. You know, like your employees. Ask them about their PINs and passwords.

Yes, I am flipping angry.

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple!!!
    02-26-09 11:50 AM
    Sorry for the late bump here, but I had a similar issue that I solved a little differently.

I had to go line-by-line in the advanced screen doing individual backups. It turns out my problem was the "location-based services" option. From reading the forums, it seems like lots of people have had issues with backup, but for different issues in their backup. Given that, and the bad item for me being grayed-out, I suspect there might be something conflicting with my company's security policy.

In any case, I can run a backup if I exclude location-based services. Hope this helps someone else.

I have an 8900 curve on T-Mobile, OS version 4.6.1.114 (Platform 4.2.0.76)
    06-09-09 12:04 AM
    What do you mean by "wipe it"? I have done a backup, but am not certain what to do next.
    Thanks
    08-12-09 11:30 AM
    I refuse to wipe my phone out again for this stupidity. How can BB be so stupid? What password? I can't keep trying for fear ill wipe the whole phone. This only started happening when I upgraded the phone. Now I'm mad I did. When I get the Tour, I'm just leaving well enough alone! Thanks blackberry for absolutely nothing! They are about as reliable and stable as Windows ME was.

09-04-09 09:43 PM
    I have just entered the 10th attempt on this Keystore password on the Blackberry Pearl - yes that password I have never created, never been given, never known - and got it wrong the 10th time and it has wiped my entire system.

Therefore, it is not an empty threat. It does not just reset your certificates. It wipes your entire sytem.
    Same problem here. never created a pasword/keystore or whatever. Accidently on my 5th attempt now
    11-19-09 01:49 AM
    I just need to know where to look to see what my current keystore password is. I don't need to change it, just find out what it is. Can anyone help me out?

05-02-11 08:50 PM
    Sorry, but as I posted in your other thread, there's no way to find it if you don't know it. The Key Store password is protected just like the device password.
    05-02-11 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD