A common question, "How do I change the message and email notifications on my BlackBerry?"

From you main screen, press F (if you have dial from home screen OFF!). If not, go to your icons, and select 'profiles'.

Scroll down to 'advanced', and select it...

On the next screen, choose the profile you want to edit. In this example, we'll do 'normal'. Press menu, then select 'edit'...

You will notice multiple items you can edit the notification for. Select the one you want...

On this screen, pressing the trackball will allow you to edit each field...

Once you're done, pres the ESC button, and you will be given the option to save...
    Last edited by anon(153966); 06-24-08 at 02:46 PM. Reason: ...updated an image
    06-10-07 01:52 PM
    Thank you Navilyn for this info. This is worth repeating: you are awesome!

I love how you not only explain it, but show how to do it as well.

Thank you for taking the time out and always caring enough to go that extra step so all viewers no matter what level they are at can take advantage of your knowledge!!

Gia
    Last edited by Giavanna; 07-21-07 at 11:52 AM.
    g38green likes this.
    07-01-07 10:34 AM
    Please try not to inflate his ego too much
    07-01-07 05:33 PM
    Kasperapd,

Well I must say that all of you, forum moderators, newbies, addicts and users are just the nicest people I have ever had the privilege of getting to know. It's so wonderful to have a forum where everyone truly wants to help you and they are incredibly nice about it. So to everyone I am saying thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your help and kindness. I am truly grateful.

Gia
    07-07-07 01:26 PM
    Navilyn is great with those screens! Extremely helpful and informative! Great thread/sticky, Navilyn

Kasper - funny on the ego watch

Gia, it's great to have such great addicts as yourself here who appreciate the hard work of all!
    07-07-07 01:59 PM
    Dear Mara (MMB916)

I want to say that you are awesome too! I love your column and you give great sound advice that comes straight from your heart. A word that sums you up: priceless.

Gia
    07-07-07 05:53 PM
    Thanks so very much for the compliment, Gia. Also, I'm glad you are enjoying "Dear Berry". The feedback is much appreciated.

Best to you!
    07-07-07 07:17 PM
    Navilyn,

This is great. I've edited my profiles. BUT, for some reason, my custom ringtone rings through the earpiece not through the speaker. Thus, I'm missing calls.
    08-12-07 05:25 PM
    I agree being a newbie and all you ARE ALL AWESOME

Thank you
    08-12-07 07:50 PM
    You Rock!!! Thanks for the info. For everyone's info, when setting a task, I needed to set a reminder for the alarm to go off, but not for the calendar.
    08-23-07 07:14 AM
    Strange, you'd got me on that one! Might be a device issue. Not sure what to say, try a battery pull or something...

Navilyn,

This is great. I've edited my profiles. BUT, for some reason, my custom ringtone rings through the earpiece not through the speaker. Thus, I'm missing calls.
    08-23-07 07:57 AM
    just registered to say thanks!! been trying to work this out on and off for the last month lol!!
    08-24-07 03:26 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to do that! Much appreciated. Enjoy the rest of the forum, there is so much to learn. Even am still learning...
    08-24-07 04:52 PM
    I have one question:

how did you get a setting for [Gmail] ??? and Messages [Ivan] ??? I have the gmail app installed on my 8830, but it doesn't alert me when I get a new email (like my corporate account does). I have to manually go into the gmail app and then I'll have like 5 new messages.
    08-29-07 11:40 PM
    GMail application works differently. I say just add the GMail account to BIS. Doing so will automatically give you a 'messages looking icon', but for GMail.

Then you can edit the notifications etc, via profiles...
    08-30-07 04:35 AM
    Gracias. This is great information. Really appreciate your time and efforts here.
    09-23-07 11:23 PM
    I've tried this and it works great! One problem though� Now when my phone rings it doesn�t tell me whose calling any more. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    10-02-07 03:11 PM
    how did you get a setting for Messages [Ivan] and etc??

I want to set a different ringtone for each one of my friends.
    10-03-07 10:45 PM
    socoduce, go to phone / menu / options / smart dialing - make sure the right country code etc is set...

Carlee86, are you saying you want it so when a friend sends an email or something it makes a certain notification? If yes, you have to add an exception, once added, go to the messages section, and add said notification...
    10-04-07 04:14 AM
    I figured it out at this thread. Thanks though.

PS- I couldn't find smart dialing in my options menu. Should I be worried? lol...
    10-04-07 12:29 PM
    Thanks navilyn, however I can't just add the notification to my messages. I've tried so many way and different things.

So this is really going to the death of me.

I am a ringtone maniac. I previously had the Razr and when I set the ringtones for my friends it automatically applied for their text messages as well.

I’ve tried adding exceptions, I have a list of them but the majority of them are because of labeling my address book with custom ring tones.

My list for “Normal” mode does not look like the one you have shown on the help thread.

Mine currently looks like this:

I’ve tried making a new profile and it still does the same thing.

The Messages [Ivan], are they something special like emails or BB/PIN messages that you can actually setup differently than my txt msgs? (Not trying to be noisy..just trying to figure this all out)

I love this little phone but my gosh it’s like rock science.
    Last edited by Carlee_86; 10-04-07 at 05:40 PM.
    10-04-07 03:11 PM
    This is great information! Thanks for posting it along with screen captures.
    How do you get screen captures on a BB? Or is that a question for another forum :-)
    10-18-07 11:29 AM
    As a new user to the board, my first post is a thank you for this.

I have been having issues with my messages not chiming or even vibrating and I couldn't figure it out. You did the leg work and I have now made sure each email addy has it's tone and is on.

Thanks again so much for this.
    11-03-07 01:30 AM
    Carlee, if you want a different ringtone or alert for specific emails from different friends, read this link and follow the instructions:
    How can I personalize my alerts from specific contacts? - BlackBerryFAQ

Good luck.
    11-10-07 11:45 PM
    Thank you so much. This is my second BB and I'm still just learning how to use them.
    11-11-07 10:07 PM
323 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD