Hey Folks,

2008 is winding down and man oh man has it be a crazy good year for the BlackBerry world and especially CrackBerry.com. We've seen the site grow by leaps and bounds. We've truly grown from CrackBerry village to CrackBerry community to CRACKBERRY NATION!

With this growth and size come huge benefits and also challenges. Looking at benefits, we have a huge knowledge base, a vibrant and diverse community and a lot of fun!

On the other side of the equation, we have an emerging challenge that seems to be on a bit of a slippery slope as of late and it's something we need to resolve to fix as a community - a lack of patience! In pretty much every BIG forum community I have ever visited or participated in, there always seems to be the same issue... As the site grows, the tone of the board changes a bit. Because we are such a big and active community, we are comprised of members from all parts of the BlackBerry life cycle - complete newbies, old pros and everything in between. We have members who have been here a week and members who have been here since day one. This mix causes the challenge... it's been noted in this thread and I received an email from a member just yesterday who words it so well I'm simply going to cut and paste it in here to explain:

Let me preface this by saying I enjoy the site and will continue to...
    but... I gotta say that while there is an obvious problem with people
    posting topics before they search (or search WELL, which is part of it
    because a search only works well depending on your search-terms), I am
    having a much bigger problem reading post after post of taunting or
    chastising people for failing to use the search (well).

While a poster might post one misplaced topic, the thread then keeps
    getting new life as poster after poster appoints themselves in charge
    of explaining how that topic has already been discussed and/or making
    fun of the poster for being so moronic (sometimes actually calling
    them a moron) for not doing research before excitedly posting. It's
    not merely a waste of time to see these posts--it's offputing from a
    tone-of-the-site perspective.

So here's our resolution CrackBerry Forum Nation......

As a community, let's keep it helpful and friendly in the forums for 2009.

At CrackBerry.com we take pride in keeping these forums very open. If you've been here a while you've probably noticed this yourself. We don't want the forums to be a police state where you need to be scared to post something for fear of getting banned by a moderator.

At the same time, posting on this forum is not a right... it's a privilege that's granted when you register here and agree to the terms and conditions, which include following the forum rules and guidelines, including our rules for General Member Conduct, which I'll post right here:

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always use the Report Post function - exclamation mark inside a triangle at the top right corner of every post - to report something to the mod team that you think is offside). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

When it comes to this forum resolution for 2009, it's going to take the whole community to see make it happen. We *could* put down the moderation hammer and clean things up, but honestly, that's the last thing I'd ever want to see happen here and it would be worse on the forum as a whole. We need to police our own actions and the problem will take care of itself. It really is simple. If you can't be nice in the response you're about to post, then just don't post it. The community is big and somebody who's willing to respond in a more positive tone is likely just around the corner and will step in.

Let's make it happen CrackBerry Nation! As I said above, this is an issue that all big community forums tend to run into, but I know this forum is a cut above the rest. We can continue to make this THE place to be for all things BlackBerry and do it in a friendly and fun manner.

Have a safe and happy holiday season and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    chiefbroski and JBBB1 like this.
    12-18-08 08:53 AM
    12-18-08 09:20 AM
    I can only hope that everybody will read this
    12-18-08 09:29 AM
    Kevin,

Very well said. I think all of us can take something from this and make crackberry.com an even better destination in the future!

Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous new year!

Last edited by joe003; 12-21-08 at 04:59 AM.
    12-18-08 09:31 AM
    Totally agree 100%!! This should be stickied in every forum.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 09:31 AM
    This is exactly why I keep coming back to this forum for information. Kevin and the moderators are always listening and responding to issues that arise here.

Bravo and I look forward to 2009 with my fellow Crackberry citizens.
    12-18-08 09:35 AM
    I've made it a Global site announcement for a few days so it's at the top of each forum.

Those who read it can lead by example and always point people who haven't read it over to this thread should the need arise.

- Kevin
    12-18-08 09:36 AM
    I think every one should quit say "search first" and just say hey check out this link and link to the other thread. Keep it simple

JBBB1 likes this.
    12-18-08 09:37 AM
    Great resolution...........in terms of "policing" ourselves fully agree.
    12-18-08 09:43 AM
    At some point, we've all had 'easy' questions and tough questions. So, read the book, etc., and then ask away. BUT, lets not have people denigrating others. I know, it's naive, but let's not.
    12-18-08 09:57 AM
    I agree 100%, well said!
    the brother likes this.
    12-18-08 09:58 AM
    I agree with these guys 100%!! There is no reason to be rude towards one another.
    12-18-08 10:11 AM
    I resolve to do the search for them, then post the link as well as the search terms I used so they'll see how it's done.

The first time.
    JBBB1 likes this.
    12-18-08 10:12 AM
    this kid was beat up by some on the forum and just shows what you are talking about kevin. i have no blackberry is the title of the post that he made a few days ago. i made a post in that tread about how the forum has changed since i have been here an i am still a newb myself.
    Last edited by jerry12; 12-18-08 at 10:38 AM.
    12-18-08 10:19 AM
    Easy enough to say a "search finds the following:....."

I know I have difficulty with searching. One thing I think would helps is to be able to type in one key word such as "service books" with a top 5 selection check box that would give CB's top 5 responses to that key work. I know it's probably a lot work on the CB, but it my cut down on the number "how do I, or what is questions posted by noobs.
    JBBB1 likes this.
    12-18-08 10:31 AM
    Kevin- you and the others here have done an awesome job with Crackberry. I love this site!!!
    Having said that- I was not too long ago a newbie and to be honest- not having been on forums before- and not even been on a computer that long(lol) I didn't know the first thing about how to search for things. You learn-- but not by people putting you down-- by someone nicely directing you. I am really good at it now and even find myself rolling my eyes when someone posts something they could have done a search on -- but I quickly remember that I was that person not long ago.
    So for all those who are so helpful (and there are many) THANK YOU!!
    I resolve to do the search for them, then post the link as well as the search terms I used so they'll see how it's done.
    And Skinny- I noticed that about you -- great job!!
    12-18-08 10:45 AM
    it really has been getting kindy rowdy lately, i agree, lets play nice...
    12-18-08 10:49 AM
    Well said, I hope everyone has a wonderful new year!!
    12-18-08 10:53 AM
    This was well said ! I am new on this and i have posted a question in the one of the forums that had already been asked but i hada few problems searching for the forum and answer itself. It can be hard at first when you join but it takes a little time getting used to and the responses ive received were very helpful and the people were very nice so i hope it does continue to stay this way as ive seen other forums my friends are on and its nothing like how this place is !
    12-18-08 12:05 PM
    Totally agree 100%!! This should be stickied in every forum.

i agree 120%.... Very well put Kevin
    12-18-08 12:42 PM
    Im new here, but another forum I am on has a feature when you type in a SUBJECT in the SUBJET LINE, the system pulls up some possible topics.

Also, ALWAYS put in a detailed subject, not PLEASE HELP.....

chaz
    12-18-08 01:00 PM
    ... ALWAYS put in a detailed subject, not PLEASE HELP.....
    A-FREAKING-men.
    12-18-08 01:09 PM
    Thank You and I want to thank you for CB I have learn so much from your site.
    12-18-08 03:07 PM
    Kevin that was real as it can be.Happy holidays to you and yours.A suggestion.Next year why don we have an holiday function at a ballroom or an center where all crack addicts can meet.I think this can take off and be a regular function.All the cb peolple can meet and free prizes and many booths with vendor rep showing there wares..think about that..anyway happy holidays...
    12-18-08 03:33 PM
    I agree 100% nice wording Kevin! Couldn't have said it better!

12-18-08 04:01 PM
121 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD