I am loving the new phones going to be released by RIM this year. All the phones are going to have BB7.

I am really intrigued by the Bold Touch and really thought I would be getting that phone, but now since the PlayBook I am having second thoughts

I have been thinking that I would rather wait an extra year or so and get a BlackBerry with the QNX software I just love how smooth and amazing this software is, that it being on a BlackBerry phone would make it so much better than a Bold Touch with BB7.

Is anyone else having the same thoughts I am?

Thanks.
    04-29-11 05:21 PM
    I'm having the opposite thoughts. While QNX is an amazing OS from what I can tell with my brief moments of poking around the Playbook at the store display, I don't see what amazing gamebreaking change it can offer for a BlackBerry handset in terms of enhancing how I use them. I don't use it as a multimedia powerhouse that could run N4S and an HD video while I'm browsing all at the same time. I also don't use many apps and so the prospect of being able to use Android apps is not too exciting for me.

I use my phone for three things primarily: Phone calls, messaging, and web browsing. Seeing as how BB7 will have an improved web browser, that's all I'm really looking for. I'm well aware that QNX is indeed the future, and I'm excited for that. At the same time, I'm more than comfortable with the idea of picking up a Bold Touch when it's released, rather than waiting for QNX for BlackBerrys.

P.S. If you're looking for "smooth", OS7 will come with "liquid graphics" that will make OS animations super smooth. Just check out the leaked videos of the newer handsets. The UI looks great. I know that's not the only thing you're looking for, but I think it will be a big selling point for a lot of consumers. When the Bold is released, hopefully they'll see a phone with a crisp display, a super smooth UI, a fast web browser, and other iPhone-like features while still having a great keyboard and other Blackberry traits.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 04-29-11 at 05:42 PM.
    04-29-11 05:39 PM
    I'm having the opposite thoughts. While QNX is an amazing OS from what I can tell with my brief moments of poking around the Playbook at the store display, I don't see what amazing gamebreaking change it can offer for a BlackBerry handset in terms of enhancing how I use them. I don't use it as a multimedia powerhouse that could run N4S and an HD video while I'm browsing all at the same time. I also don't use many apps and so the prospect of being able to use Android apps is not too exciting for me.

I use my phone for three things primarily: Phone calls, messaging, and web browsing. Seeing as how BB7 will have an improved web browser, that's all I'm really looking for. I'm well aware that QNX is indeed the future, and I'm excited for that. At the same time, I'm more than comfortable with the idea of picking up a Bold Touch when it's released, rather than waiting for QNX for BlackBerrys.

P.S. If you're looking for "smooth", OS7 will come with "liquid graphics" that will make OS animations super smooth. Just check out the leaked videos of the newer handsets. The UI looks great. I know that's not the only thing you're looking for, but I think it will be a big selling point for a lot of consumers. When the Bold is released, hopefully they'll see a phone with a crisp display, a super smooth UI, a fast web browser, and other iPhone-like features while still having a great keyboard and other Blackberry traits.
    Thanks for the reply and the update on OS7. I too do not use my BlackBerry a lot for multimedia use. My usage as well are primarily phone, messaging, and browsing.

I was comparing BB6 on my Torch to the software on the PlayBook. Comparing the swipe, pinch and zoom, typing on screen keyboard there really is no comparison between the 2 softwares.

I hope you are correct with BB7 being more "smooth" like I had said. I have been waiting for an updated Bold 9000 form factor and was really excited about this Bold Touch.

Thanks again for the info. I can't wait to give BB7 a try.
    04-29-11 05:57 PM
    Yeah. There's no comparing OS6 to the QNX OS on the PB. They're two completely different beasts. If I had a PB, I don't see myself using it in the same fashion as my BlackBerry.

Anyways, like I mentioned, look around for the leaked videos. They were posted on the CB main page (was about two weeks ago I think). You could see for yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-11 06:14 PM
    Found the link: Bold Touch Hands On Video

04-29-11 06:19 PM
    Found the link: Bold Touch Hands On Video

ok...so I know exactly what you are talking about. I did originally see the leaked videos but didn't pay attention to the actual scrolling through the OS.

I can see exactly what you are talking about. Scrolling up and down to hide and unhide the tabs look flawless and much much different than our current OS. Also when scrolling through options it seems a lot smoother than what we have.

Thanks for pointing this out to me. In addition to now being excited about the Bold Touch because of the hardware, I am now equally excited because of the new OS.
    04-29-11 06:27 PM
    people who have played with a new OS7 device like the bold touch say it is a completely different phone that does not feel like a traditional blackberry because it runs so flawless. Kevin mentioned that with the updated and more refined OS combined with the major bump in hardware has created some amazing devices. I know the day the bold touch is out i will be getting one.
    04-29-11 06:36 PM
    people who have played with a new OS7 device like the bold touch say it is a completely different phone that does not feel like a traditional blackberry because it runs so flawless. Kevin mentioned that with the updated and more refined OS combined with the major bump in hardware has created some amazing devices. I know the day the bold touch is out i will be getting one.
    That sounds very promising, although I hope it still feels like a traditional BlackBerry. Quite frankly, there's only a few improvements here and there that I'm looking for, not a complete overhaul. UI smoothness and speed is one of them, and the browser could always use improvements until someday we reach a point where web pages load instantly.

On a side note, this kind of reminds me of when the Storm first received OS5 and a lot of people were excited about the flick scrolling. Haha.
    04-30-11 12:15 AM
    That sounds very promising, although I hope it still feels like a traditional BlackBerry. Quite frankly, there's only a few improvements here and there that I'm looking for, not a complete overhaul. UI smoothness and speed is one of them, and the browser could always use improvements until someday we reach a point where web pages load instantly.

On a side note, this kind of reminds me of when the Storm first received OS5 and a lot of people were excited about the flick scrolling. Haha.
    I understand but I think BB6 to BB7 will me much much much more drastic than BB5 - BB6. Not only are there a lot of updates in the software, but hardware as well.

Here is a more extensive video of some of the fluidity we will see in the UI. Also, the screen will look much more crisp in person than the Blackberrys we are currently using. The online streaming videos don't do them justice.

04-30-11 12:28 AM
    I too am undecided on getting a phone with OS7. It looks as if current phones wont run OS7 which although not perfect, it is understandable as the current phones hardware cant handle it.

With new QNX based phones probably coming out next year, and according to RIM, the QNX OS can only run on dual core chipsets, it looks like the phones released this year running OS7 wont be able to run it as they are rumoured to have 1.2GHZ processors.

So thats 2 years in a row where your 1 year old phone cant update to the latest OS. I think I'd rather skip the OS7 phase and wait for QNX.
    04-30-11 03:12 AM
    I too am undecided on getting a phone with OS7. It looks as if current phones wont run OS7 which although not perfect, it is understandable as the current phones hardware cant handle it.

With new QNX based phones probably coming out next year, and according to RIM, the QNX OS can only run on dual core chipsets, it looks like the phones released this year running OS7 wont be able to run it as they are rumoured to have 1.2GHZ processors.

So thats 2 years in a row where your 1 year old phone cant update to the latest OS. I think I'd rather skip the OS7 phase and wait for QNX.
    I'm with you. I may just wait till the QNX phones come out. It would be cool to have the OS7 phones but my so far my 9700 is doing what I need it to do. But who knows what will happen when the OS7 phones come out. I'm a sucker for technology...

04-30-11 03:24 AM
    I'll be getting the bold touch. The new phones and OS 7 look pretty sweet to me and should pair up nicely with my playbook.
    04-30-11 03:32 AM
    I want to ask a serious question here: What is it about QNX that makes it so worth the wait with regards to how it will affect your enjoyment or usability of BlackBerrys? Is it the Flash? Android app compatibility? The dual-core processor prerequisite?

The reason why I ask this is because I see a lot of people who say they're really excited about QNX and how they cannot wait for RIM to release it for their phones (then there are others that think RIM is absolutely doomed if they don't release it by next Tuesday), but I rarely see anyone state why. I'm genuinely curious, as I'm sure they have their reasons, but I don't have any reasons for myself.
    04-30-11 04:37 AM
    I want to ask a serious question here: What is it about QNX that makes it so worth the wait with regards to how it will affect your enjoyment or usability of BlackBerrys? Is it the Flash? Android app compatibility? The dual-core processor prerequisite?

The reason why I ask this is because I see a lot of people who say they're really excited about QNX and how they cannot wait for RIM to release it for their phones (then there are others that think RIM is absolutely doomed if they don't release it by next Tuesday), but I rarely see anyone state why. I'm genuinely curious, as I'm sure they have their reasons, but I don't have any reasons for myself.
    Morning Masahiro,

Excellent question. I would like to know also.
    04-30-11 06:33 AM
    I for one will be getting the BB Bold touch as soon as it gets out although I will be in Europe for the next couple of months. I love BB in general as it fits ALL my needs. When QNX comes out then I will look at that too and most likely update to that but it all depends on the actual hands on experience (and bonding) I will have with my new Dakota.
    (By the way, I tried the Samsung Epic 4G from the get go and finally after comparing both it and my BB9700, I dumped the Epic 4 g couple of days ago). I know I know, I am gonna have to go to confessions to seek forgiveness for jumping to the Epic phone while negleting my trusted bb9700. lol.
    04-30-11 06:58 AM
    No one really knows what it can do. We've heard that it is supposed to be capable of some pretty amazing thing. But we don't know what these "things" are. We will really only know when there are demos of it.

04-30-11 07:07 AM
    I'm undecided. I've wanted the bold touch since it was rumored back in my Bold 9000 days, but my torch is still going strong and does what I need it to do without any problems.

I'll evaluate upon release.
    04-30-11 07:18 AM
    I will be getting the bold touch when it hits the market. We all know rim is planning on releasing the qnx phones in 2012. But based on their schedules on any devices, it will usually be towards the end of the year late q3 or early q4 (holidays). That will at least give me one year to keep the bold touch and play around with it, and then resell it on craigslist when the qnx hits the market.

So far the qnx on the playbook looks promising, but hasn't been able to run efficiently. There's a lot of software issuses that needs to be address and hopefully this will be resolved before the qnx phones are released.

04-30-11 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD