One of the common questions among new users is the seeming delay in receiving email on the BlackBerry handheld. Users see that the email hits their web service, and is not instantaneously on their device.

Unlike other PDAs, the BlackBerry device does not log into your email account for you, and check for new messages. This pull type email is best related to having a Post Office box. It requires physical action on your part to go and check your mail. You have to get up, drive in your car to the PO Box location, open it up, check for new mail, get back in your car, and drive home. All this time you are expending time and energy. What happens if you are unable to check the box due to the store/post office being closed? You have to wait until the next chance you get, and then check. As you can see this is not a very time/energy efficient way of doing things.

On the other hand, if you had someone to bring your mail to you, a Postal worker wouldn’t that be a better alternative? All you have to do is sit at home and when the mail arrives you have it. No need to do anything, no need to go anywhere else. This is how the BlackBerry architecture works.

When you integrate your email accounts via the device or the web portal, RIM’s servers store that email address and password. They use a static IP connection to connect to your existing mail box and check for new mail. For the most part, the BIS does not stay connected continuously to your email account.

Sample Setup:

Log into your carrier specific account. A list is found here: Global BIS list
    A. If you are an existing user, enter your username and password
    B. If you have not set up your account before, click “Create new account”
    i. Agree to the terms and conditions.
    ii. Enter the PIN of the BlackBerry device
    iii. Enter either the IMEI or the ESN
    a. If you are using a hybrid CDMA/GSM device, enter the identifier
    that would be used on your home network. (i.e., Sprint 8830 use
    the ESN)
    iv. Enter a username and choose a password. (retype for accuracy)
    To add an email account enter your email address ([email protected]) and the password you use to log into that account and click next.
    a. Keep in mind this is not the username that you would use to log in, it is the entire email address.
    Provided you have the credentials correct, and that you do not require any advanced setup for that account (not usually required) you will get a message indicating that your account has been successfully added.
    You may also add your carrier provided blackberry email address through this screen. Click “Create address”
    a. Enter your username and click next. If the username is available you will receive the same successfully added message

That is it, you are done. Obviously you can continue to add email addresses, to a total of 10 integrates plus the one free BlackBerry email address.

That’s great, now how does the device actually get the mail?

When an email is sent to you, from another user it traverses the internet until it gets to your email provider where it is stored in your mailbox and waits. The BlackBerry servers will periodically check that mailbox (provided you have added it to the device) for new messages.

The BIS itself will check for new messages every fifteen minutes by default. If it does find a new message, the message is compressed, and the first 2kb of data is then pushed to the device. For the next fifteen minutes, the BIS will check every three minutes for new mail. If no new mail is found within that second set of fifteen minutes, the server reverts to again checking once every fifteen minutes. As long as the server finds new mail within that time frame, it will continue to check every three minutes. This does not, however, apply to all email accounts. Gmail and Yahoo mail are two notable exceptions to this rule. The BIS remains constantly connected to these services, and will push new email automatically to the device, without the fifteen minute interval.

This is why users will see a variable delay when receiving mail. When thinking about the BIS, keep in mind that it can take up to fifteen minutes to get your email on some accounts. Instant solutions are out there, but if you just have to have that college email on your device from a school you attended many years ago (as the case is with me) you now will be able to anticipate the delay in receiving those emails from long lost buddies.

For a complete walk-through of the email setup visit http://www.blackberry.com/select/bisdemo/index.htm

Originally written by me at BBNews
    tang63, KermEd, drjay868 and 1 others like this.
    02-05-09 03:41 PM
    Great post Sith, very informative...
    02-05-09 03:45 PM
    +1 Awesome post!!!!!!!!
    02-05-09 03:46 PM
    Great post Sith, very informative...
    Thank you very much.
    02-05-09 04:16 PM
    Hotmail is also another domain with instant delivery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 04:19 PM
    Thread moved into FAQ. Good job Sith!
    02-05-09 04:33 PM
    Thank you very much sir
    02-05-09 04:41 PM
    Rock on. I was curious about this.

02-05-09 04:47 PM
    Damn, another gem! Good work Sith, the force is STRONG in you! lol
    02-05-09 05:14 PM
    I do what I can
    02-05-09 05:15 PM
    Thanks alot,

I apreciate you posting this, as a (very) new BB user I was wondering why I saw the delay in receiving my emails.

One question, If i set my personal email to automatically forward the email to my @blackberry.net account would it be instant? (not that 15 minutes is that big of a deal, I am just curious)

Thanks
    02-05-09 07:53 PM
    Yes it would be instant. You can also go to your BIS site and set your Reply to address to the email you are forwarding. That way you can send as your other email and others wont get your blackberry.net
    02-05-09 07:54 PM
    Just the information I was wanting, thanks a lot!

02-05-09 11:54 PM
    You are welcome, glad you enjoyed the read.
    02-06-09 06:32 AM
    Yes it would be instant. You can also go to your BIS site and set your Reply to address to the email you are forwarding. That way you can send as your other email and others wont get your blackberry.net
    This has been very informative. I have 3 POP accounts and don't like the delay. However, I would like to be able to delete emails from my Blackberry Storm and have them deleted from my email server, while retaining other emails. If I would forward emails to my blackberry.net account or gmail for that matter, I would still have to go back to my original email server to delete messages. However, I want some other messages to remain, so taking them all off of the server when they are forwarded is not an option. I also don't use an exchange server, so that's not an option either.

Any suggestions? BTW, I have been following your other posts in the Storm OS/Beta forum and find you exceptionally knowledgable and very tolerant.

- Steve
    02-06-09 06:36 AM
    Very useful post! Follow up question-
    If I set up 10 separate BIS e-mail accounts, do all 10 accounts necessarily need to show up in the message list, or can I select 3 most used accounts to show up in the list and have the option to check the other less used accounts individually by clicking their respective icons. (Trying to eliminate clutter in my message list) Thanks for any insight.
    02-06-09 07:23 AM
    So when are you guys gonna twist Sith's arm and get him to start moderating around here? Or has he already declined?
    02-06-09 10:01 AM
    So when are you guys gonna twist Sith's arm and get him to start moderating around here? Or has he already declined?
    This is up to a higher power
    02-06-09 01:47 PM
    Thanks Sith!

I assume then that's an advantage of using your vzw.blackberry.net email address is that it is a direct feed to your BB, correct?
    02-06-09 02:52 PM
    I just came from a pearl a few months back , and i was able to setup my email on my storm no problem, but when i go to verizon BIS , to login , it says i cannot login , i tried to resend password but it says it sends but i never receive anything , i tried to create a new one , and it says im allready a user ????? any help , who do i call to get this rectified ? any help would be much appreciated

thank you
    02-06-09 03:11 PM
    Call your carrier to reset the account. What you did was set it up on the device and it has auto-login enabled.
    02-06-09 06:49 PM
    Thank you
    02-06-09 09:18 PM
    Did they reset it for you?
    02-06-09 09:19 PM
    i will call tommorow and give you an update
    02-06-09 10:31 PM
    Excellent, thank you very much
    02-07-09 08:35 AM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD