I've had the opportunity to work on a Storm2 9520 and take some pics while opening it up. Thanks to karanveer for the Storm2 that is pictured here! Repairs are nearly done!

Note that this is a very early pre-production model, so a few things have changed since it was built including the piezo disks and screen buttons. However, most of the other basics are still the same.

Theres a lot of pics, so this will be in two posts.

Attachment 48705

Attachment 48706

Attachment 48708

Attachment 48733

Attachment 48709

Attachment 48711

Attachment 48712

Attachment 48713

Attachment 48714

Attachment 48715

Attachment 48716
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-16-09 at 02:34 AM.
    12-16-09 01:37 AM
    12-16-09 01:39 AM
    You are one brave soul opening it up like that lol

Thanks though! I was curious about it because my brother needs to replace his digitizer

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 02:06 AM
    Replacing the screen in this model would be a huge PITA!

The final assembly of the screen must get done with it inside the front frame because there is no way to remove the screen assembly without removing the backplate.
    12-16-09 02:16 AM
    That was detailed and.......awesome! Great pics and descriptions.
    12-16-09 02:20 AM
    So what would you suggest? How should I go about doing this? Take it all apart like you? Or what?

12-16-09 02:22 AM
    any idea where the vibration is controlled in the phone. if it wasnt so loud this phone would truly be perfect
    12-16-09 02:45 AM
    any idea where the vibration is controlled in the phone. if it wasnt so loud this phone would truly be perfect
    Yup....

Most phones have a small motor with an oblong cam on it. When the motor spins the cam (which is out of balance) the phone vibrates. This is how the Storm 1 worked as well.

In the Storm 2, the piezos vibrate - in essence the screen vibrates. There is no vibrate motor.

It's possible that RIM could change the intensity of the vibration in the firmware, but there is no user intensity control.
    12-16-09 02:51 AM
    Wow! Nice post thanks!

12-16-09 06:52 AM
    Amazing. You stopped my mind from wondering.

Really the screen vibrates. That's crazy.

This post needs to be a sticky

12-16-09 07:13 AM
    X2 on the sticky. Thanks for the pics!
    12-16-09 07:28 AM
    Sticky sticky sticky!!!!!
    12-16-09 07:37 AM
    Awesome post, thanks for taking the time to label the pics too
    12-16-09 07:59 AM
    This was a truly awesome post it really answers a lot of questions.... Also I just like to know what I have inside and out and you certainly assisted me in finding this out!
    12-16-09 08:29 AM
    Very nice layout. Thanks for the how to and your time involved in documenting this.

12-16-09 09:38 AM
    The guy at Verizon dropped my storm2 and the top plastic part came off. The double sided adhesive tape was showing and he examined it and said that the phone was no longer any good. I didn't question him because I haven't seen the inside of a storm2 lol.

After seeing these pictures and knowing that the plastic piece at the top (cover for LED and top buttons) can be snapped on and off, I just wonder what is going to happen to that poor storm2 phone. It had no scratches or scrapes after it hit the ground. He just tossed it right into this big plastic Tupperware crate with old old phones and batteries. =(

Thanks for the pictures!
    12-16-09 10:19 AM
    Replacing the screen in this model would be a huge PITA!

The final assembly of the screen must get done with it inside the front frame because there is no way to remove the screen assembly without removing the backplate.
    What does PITA mean? Thanks for the info I'm going to have to change my digitizer to and I had no ide now it opens or how to navaigate around it.

Do you also have anything I should keep in mind while I'm changing the digitizer.

12-16-09 10:24 AM
    What does PITA mean?
    From the person you quoted .. I would read it as, ...a huge Pain In The ***
    12-16-09 10:26 AM
    From the person you quoted .. I would read it as, ...a huge Pain In The ***
    Ok that makes tons of sense and totally disappointing!!! Cause still have to change my digitizer its so annoying cracked.

12-16-09 10:45 AM
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are any third party vendors offering Storm 2 replacement LCD assemblies yet.

Be careful of some Chinese sites offering parts - they are many times bad knock-offs. Make sure you use OEM as the tolerances are critical on the Storms.

If you attempt this yourself, make sure you have a few hours, a very clean and well lit table or desk, and a plastic pry tool with a very thin edge. It took me over an hour to figure out how to disassemble it without marring or breaking the phone.
    12-16-09 11:23 AM
    Nice work, those pictures are just the job.

I have to say, I'm not brave enough to take mine apart, although I did on my S1.
    12-16-09 11:26 AM
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are any third party vendors offering Storm 2 replacement LCD assemblies yet.

Be careful of some Chinese sites offering parts - they are many times bad knock-offs. Make sure you use OEM as the tolerances are critical on the Storms.

If you attempt this yourself, make sure you have a few hours, a very clean and well lit table or desk, and a plastic pry tool with a very thin edge. It took me over an hour to figure out how to disassemble it without marring or breaking the phone.
    I found a digitizer on eBay and its not out of china its out nj. Yes I was skeptical about china too. But when I saw the same thing in nj and also a listing in fl for it. I figured its worth a shot. Unless you think I should just wait until there more out there as to in sure I don't get a knock off?

Last edited by joford86; 12-16-09 at 11:41 AM.
    12-16-09 11:34 AM
    Now, I have to wonder, mine is missing the battery tab. Can you tell any difference in build quality between that Canada model and Mexico version? Think that might be the cause of a few random reboots and seemingly loose back cover...
    12-16-09 01:42 PM
    Have you figured out a way to solve the button issues people are having?
    12-16-09 02:26 PM
    Yeah I was gonna buy a digitizer on eBay too. They are only $25.. Worst case scenario, I "lose" the phone and tell my brother to pay the $90 deductible and have insurance replace it

I am curious about the inside of it too. I want to take a look. His screen is cracked really bad.. He said he walked into a table on accident and the corner of the table hit the screen on the bottom where the buttons are, and now there is a huge crack all up the screen. Its pretty bad... It still works just fine though..

The way I see it, he can buy the digitizer, and maybe end uo with a perfectly fine working S2 again for $30 (25 is before shipping) or if we break something in the process of taking the phone apart, he can just claim it on insurance and get it replaced.
    12-16-09 03:14 PM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD