I have recently cracked my screen as a result of dropping the phone from my desk. The screen cracked on the corner which resulted in lines going all over the phone.

So I purchased a 9550 Digitizer from ebay from a seller that was in Hong Kong. The cost for the digitizer was about $28. Due to Christmas holidays and Hong Kong slow shipping I have received the screen a month later.

Below I have taken some pics for anyone that is interested doing a digitizer replacement but is not familiar with the procedure. I am not a technician, so anyone can do this.

First off I want to say that the Storm 2 is a masterpiece. I have seen a lot inner working of cell phones and I haven't seen anything like the Storm2. Everything is so well designed and positioned, my hats off to the team at RIM - job well done!

Next I want to mention that if you are looking to replace the digitizer on your phone I would HIGHLY recommend to you buy a new LCD with a Digitizer! That will cost you about $130, but it will save you the headache and frustration of dealing that annoying double sided tape on this phone. I'll point it out when we get there.
    Replacing a digitizer alone is very time consuming and frustrating. Patience is key!

Here we go: Check the video on cnn.cn for detailed disassembly video.
    Tools needed: Blow dryer, boxcutter, Qtip, rubbing alcohol, thin double sided tape, and T5 screw driver.

Here is all the pieces taken apart. The Digitizer is actually taped on the lcd with thin double sided tape. So you have to slowly peal it off. In this pic the digitizer is on the left and the lcd is the 2nd from the left.

My cracked screen. Poor thing, life so short lived.

This is the LCD. You'll notice that around the edges there is the remains of the dreaded double sided tape. This is where your patience is needed. You will need to grab a blow dryer, Qtip and some rubbing alcohol. You have to gently heat up the tape without heading up your LCD. Then you have to gently remove the remains of the tape without smudging any of the tape onto the LCD. Of course that's next to impossible so you will sit there for a while trying to clean the screen as well. Good luck here.

Cracked screen on the left & new screen on the right. (the sticker is still on the new screen so that's why you see a black line)

This is a metal panel (on the left) that is glued onto the back of the LCD. You will need to remove this to properly install the new digitizer.

New digitizer installed on the old Lcd. Hope you haven't lost your patience because you will need it again. Here you have the take your double sided tape and cut it with a boxcutter so that its as thin as each side of the LCD. So you will need 4 pieces of double sided tape here. The bottom piece should be thick. Any excess tape coming off the lcd panel should be cut off.

This is how it will look once all taped up, back to the original way.

Some comparison shots:

There you go folks. If I knew it would be this much trouble I would have spend the extra $100 for the lcd & digitizer. But I hope this helps someone out there.
    01-08-10 04:57 PM
    Very nice tutorial; I hope my screen never cracks like that.
    01-08-10 05:05 PM
    Nice job. Glad you got it fixed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 05:24 PM
    I pray to the almighty Allah that this will never happen to me. lulz.
    01-08-10 05:37 PM
    yea man I would be crushed if this happened to me!!!!!!!!!!!! Good fix though...
    01-08-10 05:40 PM
    Thanks. Funny thing I told verizon that my phone sounds like sticky tape pulling apart when I click towards the top of my phone. They basically told me it was normal. Probably the double sided tape not sticking completely. But I'll just deal with the weird sound.
    01-08-10 06:15 PM
    Thanks... def gonna help alot of people who crack the screens and didnt take the insurance ( which happens alot here in CB)
    01-08-10 06:45 PM
    When you say you cracked the screen, do you also mean the lcd or just the screen itself (most outer part)?

01-08-10 08:43 PM
    Great!! Thanks!! Pics are awesome!
    01-08-10 09:16 PM
    When you say you cracked the screen, do you also mean the lcd or just the screen itself (most outer part)?

Yea I only cracked the digitizer, the lcd was fine
    01-09-10 02:57 AM
    This is awesome man good job!!!

01-09-10 08:54 AM
    whats up with the bubbles did they go away after a while?
    01-20-10 07:12 PM
    lol the bubbles were the screen protector.
    01-20-10 07:13 PM
    wow! I don't know if I could get the guts up to do something that entailed. Nice job and tutorial pix!

01-20-10 07:36 PM
    HELP !!!
    Did u have to use the soldering iron to attach the digitizer flex cable to the back of the LCD or did the digitizer come with the type of flex cable that you practically just have to slip in ?

Cos i am kinda confused if i will need soldering or not as i have a Storm2 that i need to fix.

Just wanted to know before i open it up.

[email protected]
    02-17-10 10:45 PM
    hi nez - do you notice the screen is somewhat not align and is a little deeper on the left side compared to the right?

will changing the screen solve this?
    02-18-10 02:16 AM
    To remove the double sided tape residue / glue from the LCD, use Goof Off (you can find it at any Home Depot or hardware store of your choice). It will remove the residue without the risk of using a hair dryer / heat gun and damaging the LCD.

Also, the thin double sided tape that you'll need can be purchased at cnn.cn, that's where I got mine from and it comes in thin strands.

I may do this to remove some dust that got under the digitizer.

I am curious, when you removed your old digitizer, did you notice any gaps between the pieces of tape where dust can sneak in?
    02-18-10 03:09 PM
    Did you have to solder the digitizer onto the Lcd or does it just snap in?
    02-27-10 05:17 AM
    Did you have to solder the digitizer onto the Lcd or does it just snap in?
    snap in for storm 2 and solder for storm 1
    02-27-10 09:24 AM
    hi nez - do you notice the screen is somewhat not align and is a little deeper on the left side compared to the right?

will changing the screen solve this?
    mine was already aligned at first
    03-02-10 07:49 PM
    Wow. I was looking at that tutorial and all I thought was "Thank God I have the insurance!" I'm pretty techie, but I'm not about opening my girl up and giving her a once over. I'll leave that to the pro's like yourself.
    03-02-10 09:48 PM
    How do you figure out what version of the LCD you have if you are going to replace them both? Some places quote only having version 002/111.
    03-05-10 09:36 PM
    I had to replace my digitizer recently and now my screen isn't pushing in as far as it used to when I select something? Any ideas on how I could fix it? It makes it kinda hard to text on etc.
    03-29-10 05:48 PM
    Nez,
    Are you by chance looking for a second job? It looks like you could make a couple bucks if you wanted to accomodate some of these fine folks.
    04-09-10 01:24 PM
    So....I just replaced my screen and my bro-in-law's screen.

His works pretty well, but different.

Mine....the screen is completely tight (without any screws) and I cannot use the bottom row of buttons anymore, swipe sensitivity is not there even with me fiddling around and getting to the options to set it on high...any suggestions?
    05-13-10 01:45 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD