Just to let you all know. I just attemped the update and it fatal errored on me. Phone is fried. This happened a step 7 of 11, so I am back to my curve for the moment. I was infomed that this does not happen to all devices.

Called VZW tech and asked to xfered to RIM. They have infomred me that if this happens, the device must be replaced. All known fixes do not work. This does not include JL_Command to wipe the device and reload the OS that I know of.

I am getting a replacement Tour next week. Damn weekends.
    09-18-09 08:35 PM
    You didn't fry your phone BB's are almost impossiBle to fry. Cmon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 08:37 PM
    What fatal error? Can you be any more specific? Screen shots? Error codes?
    09-18-09 08:37 PM
    What fatal error? Can you be any more specific? Screen shots? Error codes?
    No specific message - just fatal error please try again.
    09-18-09 08:38 PM
    Just to let you all know. I just attemped the update and it fatal errored on me. Phone is fried. This happened a step 7 of 11, so I am back to my curve for the moment. I was infomed that this does not happen to all devices.

Called VZW tech and asked to xfered to RIM. They have infomred me that if this happens, the device must be replaced. All known fixes do not work. This does not include JL_Command to wipe the device and reload the OS that I know of.

I am getting a replacement Tour next week. Damn weekends.
    So if this happens the process for recovering a dead BB will not work? Or were you not able to try?
    09-18-09 08:43 PM
    So if this happens the process for recovering a dead BB will not work? Or were you not able to try?
    I did not try - There were some small annoying issues with mine anyway, so I will take the replacement. I am not sure if the recover a dead bb will work or not.
    09-18-09 08:45 PM
    I did not try - There were some small annoying issues with mine anyway, so I will take the replacement. I am not sure if the recover a dead bb will work or not.
    Hmm, ok. Thanks for the heads up.
    09-18-09 08:48 PM
    no, the phones not fried..... I can understand you dont want to try to wipe the phone since you said you had some other problems with that Tour anyway, but the fatal error can be fixed using a Wipe as I've done that in the past.
    09-18-09 09:14 PM
    What wipe method did you use?
    09-18-09 09:16 PM
    I'd definitely be curious to know if the recover a dead bb process works or not. It's a good way to find out if the RIM tech you spoke to actually knew what they were talking about...
    09-18-09 09:17 PM
    I'd definitely be curious to know if the recover a dead bb process works or not. It's a good way to find out if the RIM tech you spoke to actually knew what they were talking about...
    True, but this is the lazy side of me. Not to mention a time thing
    09-18-09 09:20 PM
    What wipe method did you use?
    I used JL_Command to recover the Blackberry... it worked... its just hard to totally fry a blackberry though.
    09-18-09 09:20 PM
    True, but this is the lazy side of me. Not to mention a time thing
    Haha - trust me, I know exactly what you mean.
    09-18-09 09:24 PM
    Easy fix using loader.exe.
    09-18-09 10:35 PM
    at least you were able to try and load this OS, my DM says no update available...good luck with your new phone....i just got a new storm after nine months i know how you feel it gets annoying doing the same thing over and over again to fix a problem that really should not exist with a properly built phone.
    09-18-09 10:38 PM
    I installed the update without any issues.
    09-18-09 10:40 PM
    It is a fatal flaw in the new OS. It happens with the same traceable causes as all those old blue screens we used to get on Win95. Bad design is the only common denominator.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 10:51 PM
    any idea of an OTA update time table.
    09-19-09 01:09 AM
    Sheesh, thanks for the heads up! Too bad I just started the updating process right before I read your post. Hopefully all goes well! Although I do know that when I use to flash my software for my old WinMo phone, the people that bricked their phones were the ones that didn't have a USB 2.0. What kinda USB port do you have?
    09-19-09 01:15 AM
    Tried updating via DM and also received fatal error message. Restarted phone using ALT + Right SHIFT + DEL tried updating again and it worked successfully. Haven't noticed a big difference though.
    09-19-09 01:32 AM
    I tried checking for an update in DM and on my BB and nothing came up, how could I get this?
    09-19-09 01:47 AM
    For the record his blackberry is NOT fried, he just opted to take a replacement. Fatal error means something happened during the install, but he could have easily downloaded BlackBerry Swiss army knife,BBSAK, wiped the device and started anew.
    09-19-09 02:05 AM
    Alright so I went ahead and did the update through BM as well and also had the fatal error. So i went and used app loader and rebooted the old OS with nothing else. Then i went ahead and again tried to update the OS and had the same error pop up. So my question is, what are my other options to get this update because obviously its not going to let me do it using the automatic update through BM without erroring. I went to the Verizon site and it doesnt look like the .53 is available for download yet. Any ideas?
    09-19-09 08:00 AM
    It does work -- I was able to recover a "dead" 8230 where the screen was blank and the red notification light comes on once in a while. And, there was something wrong with the phone, too. I was able to reinstall the original OS (the phone was eventually replaced).
    09-19-09 08:40 AM
    After a good night sleep, I tried BBSK (1.4) this morning. I have been able to load the 4.7.1.53 OS and the device is up. During sync I got an error and I am working this issue now. Will report later on this issue.

UPDATE: all sync'd and back up restored
    Last edited by lastraid; 09-19-09 at 08:52 AM.
    09-19-09 08:46 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD