Is there any benefit to switchin from Global to 1XEV in the network connections menu? Its default setting is global...but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 08:35 PM
    1XEV is better for use on VZW's network. That is 3G for use on their CDMA network in the US.

Global is for use on GSM carrier's networks.

You will use less battery if you switch the setting to 1XEV.
    06-23-10 08:40 PM
    1EX- CDMA (United States Verizon Signal)
    Global- CDMA/GSM (Searches for not only Verizon signal, but other carriers as well)

If you switch it from Global to 1EX will help your battery life, since it will only be searching for the Verizon signal (that's what you want). Make sure to switch it back to Global if your are traveling overseas.

06-23-10 08:43 PM
    Awesome thanks guys

06-23-10 09:07 PM
    1XEV is better for use on VZW's network. That is 3G for use on their CDMA network in the US.

Global is for use on GSM carrier's networks.

You will use less battery if you switch the setting to 1XEV.
    I don't understand how leaving it on Global will use more battery life. If it's a CDMA device then it would only be picking up 1XEV anyway, right? I don't know much about cell phone signals, but I've been wondering this for a while. And generally everyone's answer is "turn off global to save battery". But why is this, and how much does it really affect your battery?
    06-24-10 12:52 PM
    Basically, turning it to 1XEV stops it from ever even thinking about scanning for GSM networks.
    When your phone is really trying hard to find a signal (a battery hog already) if it can't find Verizon then it will search for other networks. Of course it won't find any, but it still tries to.

So does it save your battery? Maybe... If your in a low signal environment turning it to 1XEV will probably save some battery. If you always have a good signal wherever you go, then you probably won't notice a difference. I guess it's whatever works best for you.

I always have it on Global, usally have great service with Verizon.

06-24-10 01:22 PM
    I search for this question for the bold 9650 and I also wanted to know what is the difference. Well my 9650 is set to 1XEV home only and before automatic and my BB still searches for a cdma network. The only time I notice it is when its not set to global. For some reason I never really lose signal while set to global I'm confused.

06-25-10 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD