Skyscape has the DSM IV-TR for $84. They used to have free trials.

Mobipocket.com also has a pocket guide to the DSM IV, but I'm not sure if their reader works with the storm.
    12-28-08 09:20 PM
    I was at the ASHP convention the other week and stopped by the booths of the companies that produce drug database software to ask about program development for the storm.

As has been mentioned, the Epocrates rep said that they're finishing up their version for the storm and its expected to be released in Jan. She told me they were hoping for early Jan but wasn't sure if they would hit that target.

Thompson and Micromedex are going a different route. The rep said they were having trouble keeping up with all the different phones so instead of making a version for each, they are working on making an online mobile version that is compatible with the commonly used mobile browsers.

I hadn't even tried Lexi-comp as I don't currently have access to it so it's interesting to see here that its working with the storm. The rep I talked to there said that they hadn't started work on a storm compatible version yet but would likely be doing so with a release sometime in the spring.
    12-28-08 10:00 PM
    Thanks for the info
    My pleasure. Any which way I can help someone out.
    12-28-08 10:35 PM
    Great tip! Installed OTA on my Storm, disabled compatibility mode, works like a charm. Thanks!
    Your welcome.
    12-28-08 10:36 PM
    I was at the ASHP convention the other week and stopped by the booths of the companies that produce drug database software to ask about program development for the storm.
    i was there too!1

Images of how Lexi looks on the Storm. Also, landscape mode works with the program.

It contacts a server for the info, so there's not updating necessary with the program. That said you need to have service available to use it.
    thanks for the pix. not sure if i like the web-based idea since many times i don't get coverage deep in the hospital
    12-28-08 10:50 PM
    I could really use a program like that...was it pricey?
    12-28-08 10:55 PM
    True, that's the only downside to Lexi, being web-based. I mean, we do have 1 gig of available device memory. However, it's nice to not have to remember to update the program for the latest drug info.

Lexi has a 30% discount till the 30th of December. So that saves you a bundle. It is expensive either way, but I think it's one of the better drug programs out there.
    12-29-08 12:18 AM
    I am currently a medical student about to enter his 3rd year. I bought my storm specifically for clinical rotations. Can anyone recommend apps I should have or may want to consider. Currently I am waiting on epocrates to release the storm compatible version and was considering one of those pocket consult apps but I don't know which are good. Also I was thinking reference program for common labs/tests.

Any advice is welcome

Thanks
    12-31-08 04:32 PM
    Skyscape has the DSM IV-TR for $84. They used to have free trials.

Mobipocket.com also has a pocket guide to the DSM IV, but I'm not sure if their reader works with the storm.
    Thanks Much!
    01-06-09 06:45 PM
    Skyscape works fine for me -- actually is easier to use than on my Pearl. I never tried it on Palm, so I don't have a comparison.
    Sanford Guide also works. If you don't use "Compatibility Mode", it displays in full screen both portrait & landscape, however, the hyperlinks in the program do not work. If you enable "Compatibility Mode", the hyperlinks work. I'm currently favoring the former.
    Despite the fact that Epocrates says they are not compatible with the Storm, it is working relatively well, or at least well enough to use in a busy ER. Downloading it OTA is tricky since the OTA website won't allow you to download using the Blackberry browser (it gives a "device not supported" error). I had success downloading with Opera Mini.
    For those of you who are PEPID users, PEPID works wonderfully.
    And I'll add my gratitude to iSilo. The beta is working well. I seem to have collected numerous iSilo documents over the years during my Palm use and now am glad to be able to use them.
    Happy medical Storming everyone!
    01-08-09 11:11 PM
    Despite the fact that Epocrates says they are not compatible with the Storm, it is working relatively well, or at least well enough to use in a busy ER. Downloading it OTA is tricky since the OTA website won't allow you to download using the Blackberry browser (it gives a "device not supported" error). I had success downloading with Opera Mini.

could you give more information about how you did this? I cannot seem to get any sort of download link through opera mini. Thanks
    01-10-09 08:05 AM
    Here is what I did to download Epocrates to my Storm:

(1) Opened Opera Mini without "Compatibility Mode" enabled. I typed get(dot)epocrates(dot)com into the address bar which then takes you to the download site. I am not able to download using this, but it does put the website address into the browser history section. If you wish, you can add this page to your Bookmarks
    (2) Turn on "Enable Compatibility Mode" using Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications. Highlight Opera Mini & press the menu key then select "Enable Compatibility Mode". Exit out of Options.
    (3) Relaunch Opera Mini. Scroll to your "History" & select the Epocrates download site (mine said "Install Epocrates Rx") Scroll down & select "Install Now!" under "For BlackBerry 4.2 and later:"
    (4) Screen now shows "Epocrates_1_149.jad". Select "Open". A message "The application Opera Mini is attempting to invoke the browser to view www . epocrates . com. Would you like to allow this" Select "Yes"
    (5) The Blackberry browser will now open to "Download Epocrates Rx" Select "Download"

Hope this helps.
    01-10-09 12:07 PM
    What does this actually do? I have it checked but not sure how to use it, can someone be so kind as to help me out...
    Thank you
    01-10-09 01:53 PM
    Here is what I did to download Epocrates to my Storm:

(1) Opened Opera Mini without "Compatibility Mode" enabled. I typed get(dot)epocrates(dot)com into the address bar which then takes you to the download site. I am not able to download using this, but it does put the website address into the browser history section. If you wish, you can add this page to your Bookmarks
    (2) Turn on "Enable Compatibility Mode" using Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications. Highlight Opera Mini & press the menu key then select "Enable Compatibility Mode". Exit out of Options.
    (3) Relaunch Opera Mini. Scroll to your "History" & select the Epocrates download site (mine said "Install Epocrates Rx") Scroll down & select "Install Now!" under "For BlackBerry 4.2 and later:"
    (4) Screen now shows "Epocrates_1_149.jad". Select "Open". A message "The application Opera Mini is attempting to invoke the browser to view www . epocrates . com. Would you like to allow this" Select "Yes"
    (5) The Blackberry browser will now open to "Download Epocrates Rx" Select "Download"

Hope this helps.
    That was great. I didn't have to go back into opera. I simply tried downloading the link. It seemed to work well.

It is important to make sure epocrates is not in compatibility mode. It runs in full screen really well.

I can't seem to get the program to fully close. It is always running in the background. Strange... although after a couple of hours it hasn't seemed to slow my storm down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by blondarb; 01-10-09 at 05:38 PM.
    01-10-09 04:45 PM
    What does this actually do? I have it checked but not sure how to use it, can someone be so kind as to help me out...
    Thank you
    I believe it just adds extra medical terms to the built in word library, for suggesting words as you type, spell checking, etc.
    01-10-09 04:53 PM
    That was great. I didn't have to go back into opera. I simply tried downloading the link. It seemed to work well. Initially the program was in full screen mode and working great. I did a battery pull and now epocrates looks like compatibility mode.

I can't disable it from compatibility to get full screen again. Also I can't seem to get the program tu fully close. It is always running in the background.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

yeah it worked first time download thru opera with me too!

THANKS ETHER!

it's running in the background for me too, but it's full screen and works like it was built for the storm. it's def better looker than the version i had on my old dell axim
    01-10-09 04:53 PM
    I'm using Opera and every time I click on Free Download the page just reloads and nothing comes up. Suggestions?
    01-10-09 10:24 PM
    Can anyone post the link to the .jad file that the FREE DOWNLOAD button takes you to?
    01-10-09 10:38 PM
    Thank you
    It adds medical words and medication names to your BlackBerry. Makes typing these MUCH easier with SureType. Well worth the ca. 200K it takes up.
    01-11-09 03:03 AM
    OTA epocrates link. Realize limitations noted above, this app is not designed for the storm, but does seem to work well. For some reason you cannot seem to close the app completely.

This link seems to work for me... can someone verify it will give a fresh working install. If it does then I will add it to the first page list of apps.
    Last edited by blondarb; 01-11-09 at 07:49 AM.
    01-11-09 07:45 AM
    Worked perfectly, thank you!
    01-11-09 07:55 PM
    yeah i might need these also
    01-11-09 09:47 PM
    try unboundmedicine dot com / blackberry dot htm

it looks good, i havent tried yet, but if anybody does buy it please let us know how they are. I am thinking of getting the Merck Manual Suite, Davis drug guide, and 5MCC.
    01-11-09 11:27 PM
    not supposed to close (for some reason) at least it didnt on my curve either!
    01-11-09 11:57 PM
    Hoping for ACG Journals via Skyscape and PDR through Epoc RX Pro, that would be nice especially paired with a new/faster OS
    01-13-09 08:34 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD