Garmin has developed the mobile navigation for the Blackberry Storm 9530

The application costs $99, prior to the use of any 'supposed' promo or coupon code, and it does come with a 30 day risk free money back guarantee from Garmin.

The application does utilize the accelerometer when switching from portrait to landscape mode.

The application DOES NOT rely on VZ Nav, I have never had VZ Nav installed on my Storm and I am running firmware .76.

The only other details about my Storm is that is it unlocked, a minor and minute detail.

YES, there IS A FREE TRIAL.....NOTE IT MAY NOT WORK

Garmin mobile Blackberry 95xx 7 Day Trial

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

YOU MUST USE DM TO LOAD TO DEVICE.

Anywhere you see 'YOUR PIN HERE' put your PIN

Screen shots follow

Last edited by ecko04; 12-12-08 at 11:28 AM.
    12-11-08 07:49 AM

Garmin located my position in about 5 seconds. I think it is a pretty nifty app thus far, I have not had the opportunity to test navigation for accuracy yet, that is coming today.
    12-11-08 07:49 AM
    Nice find ecko04....looks like a nice app. Since Ive never used Garmin before I have a ??, does Garmin automatically update maps &/or is there a charge for it (yearly, etc.)
    12-11-08 07:56 AM
    can u post the whole like? i tried the one you have and nothing. thanks
    12-11-08 08:07 AM
    Nice find ecko04....looks like a nice app. Since Ive never used Garmin before I have a ??, does Garmin automatically update maps &/or is there a charge for it (yearly, etc.)
    Garmin uses NAVTEQ for their mapping and Garmin only updates their maps once a year for portable GPS systems; I am not sure about the mobile software. I don't see an update section in the app itself but until someone states otherwise I will be inclined to believe it does not.

It really does not bother me much, look at my location on the map, it looks this way on VZ Nav as well and the location has been there for a few years now.
    12-11-08 08:09 AM
    Think Offline Maps available for this?
    12-11-08 08:12 AM
    can u post the whole like? i tried the one you have and nothing. thanks
    Send yourself the link in a message.

Once you send yourself the message click on the link within the message and hit GET LINK, you should be prompted with a download of the software.
    Last edited by ecko04; 12-11-08 at 08:34 AM.
    12-11-08 08:15 AM
    nope. tried it again. after dl u have 3 dots and after 95 u have 2 x's. are they supposed to be there?
    12-11-08 08:18 AM
    The link works. The forum software shortens the links automatically. If you click that link though (NOT COPY) it will take you to the correct download.
    12-11-08 08:24 AM
    no working the free trial in here
    12-11-08 08:24 AM
    Looks the same as my garmin 360. It is flawless. Same fee for annual map renewals?
    12-11-08 08:28 AM
    no working the free trial in here
    That sucks....that's why there is a caveat there. I didn't try it, just saw the option for it.
    12-11-08 08:32 AM
    Does anyone know how well IF at all Garmin Mobile works in areas with NO cell phone coverage?

That's the main issue (besides the whole "renting" thing) that I have with VZ Navigator. No cell signal, no maps.
    12-11-08 08:36 AM
    Does anyone know how well IF at all Garmin Mobile works in areas with NO cell phone coverage?

That's the main issue (besides the whole "renting" thing) that I have with VZ Navigator. No cell signal, no maps.
    The same applies to Garmin as well.

The app won't start at all if there is no wireless service. I suppose that is because it tries to authenticate you each time you start the app. Its a background process that is brought to the forefront if you try to start the app without service.

With that being said let me start the app initially with service, minimize the app and close all wireless connections, and go to campus to see if it functions....epmphasis on 'all' that may include the gps radio as well.
    12-11-08 08:41 AM
    just loaded the free trial. it aquired satelites and found me in our parking lot looks very good so far.
    12-11-08 08:43 AM
    loaded. how long does the free trial last? anyone wanna give up the activation code? just asking
    12-11-08 08:45 AM
    Trial lasts for 7 days.
    12-11-08 08:48 AM
    Excellent. I am going to try this over my vacation. I've always liked Garmin's interface and I've been enjoying using the Storm as a GPS unit, just not a big fan of VZNavigator. This will absolutely be worth $99 to me if it offers similar functionality to their standalone GPS units.
    12-11-08 08:54 AM
    Thanks for the heads up.. I have a Garmin 60CSx handheld with the nav software and find that it's pretty useful.. I'm looking forward to trying this! Much better than the VZNav I hope!

btw.. with my browser set to BB, clicking the link in the first post brought me right to the download page.. worked great!
    12-11-08 08:56 AM
    Any word on garmin updating their software for the vzw curve?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 09:02 AM
    This is going to be a shootout between VZ Nav4 and this... Im not sure which is better yet...
    12-11-08 09:05 AM
    Also, VZ Nav after my discount per month is 8 dollars or 96 a year. This is 99 dollars... So it better be far better to warrant any purchase. Can you switch your license to another phone down the road if you upgrade, or do you need to purchase it again?
    12-11-08 09:11 AM
    While I haven't used this program yet, something tells me it might be something similar to Google Maps in that you are accessing an online server that hosts the maps and (hopefully) Garmin is periodically updating them. Perhaps if others can shed light on how much memory the program takes, that could help prove or bust my theory. I'm guessing if you are actually downloading an entire program (plus map data) to your Storm, then it would take up quite a bit of memory. But if it takes up about the same as say Google maps, then perhaps my theory holds water.
    12-11-08 09:15 AM
    it was a 1.7 meg download. You are def getting the maps from a server.
    12-11-08 09:16 AM
    Also, VZ Nav after my discount per month is 8 dollars or 96 a year. This is 99 dollars... So it better be far better to warrant any purchase. Can you switch your license to another phone down the road if you upgrade, or do you need to purchase it again?
    But it looks like Garmin's product is a one-time 99 dollar purchase, unlike VZ Nav's recurring monthly fee.
    12-11-08 09:21 AM
581 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD