AmazeGPS just came out with an updated version of their app for the Storm. Has anyone tried it yet?

They've fixed the problem with the drop down menus that weren't compatible with the storm.
    03-08-09 09:36 AM
    OK, this looks to good to be true. I was looking at the features, and this has everything I have dreamed of in a GPS app.
    Free
    Detailed Maps
    Rotated map during navigation
    Satellite images, seeing is believing
    Hybrid maps
    Worldwide weather
    Local search
    Vocal guiding

Still looking for the catch. Where do they get their revenue from?

Features - amAze free GPS navigation for mobile phones || amAzeGPS.com
    03-08-09 10:00 AM
    Ok, found this

Is amAze really free?

Yes. amAze is a free service to download and use without any limitations. The service is financed by advertisements and sponsorships

If thats all, some ads, then I will dump VZNav for this
    03-08-09 10:01 AM
    I just downloaded it and the following are my comments based on my initial experience with this app:

1. The GUI is great (but discounted by item #5 and 6 below).
    2. I like the satelite view. If I am not mistaken, Google Map is the only other app with such capability.
    3. I love the option on navigation mode for either "head up" or "north up". It is extremely helpful when I have the option to rotate the map when needed. This is the BEST feature of this app in my humble opinion.
    4. Unfortunately, it cannot find my GPS location. And yes, my GPS is on. I have been using VZ Nav and Trapster without any problem.
    5. There is no on-screen scrolling capability.
    6. It does not support the Escape key on the Storm.

It is a nice app with great potential. But there are lot of rooms for improvement (fixing item 4, 5, and 6 above will be a good start). There are many mapping apps out there and it is becoming very crowded. You have to go above and beyond to win customers over from the other guys.

Hope this helps.
    03-08-09 10:38 AM
    it appears to be more for European users. probably why it says 9500. i tried to do a search for the local best buy and it didn't find anything because all the search engines were based in Europe.
    03-08-09 10:51 AM
    it appears to be more for European users. probably why it says 9500. i tried to do a search for the local best buy and it didn't find anything because all the search engines were based in Europe.
    Since it cannot find my GPS location, the map defaulted to Houston, Texas. So it is definitely for US as well. But I seriously doubt it is ready for Storm, even though it said so on the web site.
    03-08-09 10:58 AM
    looks very cool, but Without GPS location and with the no Storm-friendly touch system it is not useful
    03-08-09 11:09 AM
    looks very cool, but Without GPS location and with the no Storm-friendly touch system it is not useful
    Agreed. This sucker will be deleted in a matter of minutes. Damn, I was hopeful.
    03-08-09 11:13 AM
    agree with the above....this app description had a lot of promise, but amaze is virtually unusable on the Storm.

Looks like they tried to port this over for the Storm, but doesn't take into account the touchscreen at all.

currently deleting.....try again amaze....
    03-08-09 11:28 AM
    yeah no gps lock, i can deal with 5 and 6 posted above, but #4 makes no sense...
    03-08-09 11:52 AM
    This has been the main issue with amAze. It seems pretty cool, and useless as of right now.
    03-08-09 12:02 PM
    They are currently working on fixing this issue. The admin there states that it has been fixed and will be released in the next few days. Im thinking (hoping) Tuesday the latest.
    03-08-09 12:05 PM
    They are currently working on fixing this issue. The admin there states that it has been fixed and will be released in the next few days. Im thinking (hoping) Tuesday the latest.
    awesome. i just emailed them asking too, so this is good to know. i really like the sleek interface.
    03-08-09 12:16 PM
    well downloading right now looks like i will be deleting as soon as it gets loaded. You know if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Update: The GPS at least has me in the right town only off by about 5 miles.
    Last edited by schoondog; 03-08-09 at 12:30 PM.
    03-08-09 12:18 PM
    3. I love the option on navigation mode for either "head up" or "north up". It is extremely helpful when I have the option to rotate the map when needed. This is the BEST feature of this app in my humble opinion.
    That's my favorite "difference" between Garmin Mobile and my Nuvi is that with Mobile you can do the "North" up thing.

Very handy for getting out of Shopping Complexes!
    03-08-09 12:58 PM
    I think they have not properly implemented the GPS for the VZW Storm, as I can not get it to lock on. I know there are some differences in getting gps to work with VZW devices, and I don't think they have done that. Same with berryfinder.

If they get it to work it could be a good app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-09 03:21 PM
    I have a VZW Storm and have no problems with the GPS. I use Google Maps, Poynt, and other GPS-based apps, and I have no problems with them.

The problem here is with the application. There's an obvious bug in AmazeGPS. Hopefully, this week's release will fix it. I tried Nav4All and it couldn't get me anywhere near where I had to go. The AmazeGPS GUI looks much nicer, and it's definitely easier to use (when it works!).
    03-08-09 06:20 PM
    Subscribing. Does anyone know if a new version is coming out anytime soon?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-09 06:35 PM
    Don't waste your time people. The touch screen capabilities on this app is very limited. No scrolling, no click, not accurate, etc.
    03-08-09 07:02 PM
    Don't waste your time people. The touch screen capabilities on this app is very limited. No scrolling, no click, not accurate, etc.
    No scrolling? Did you try the latest version? Because you can scroll. The first time you have to scroll is during the region setup, and it's there.

You're right about "no click", but it's a "touch" app. Click or no click, it's still functional.

As for accuracy, I'd like to hear more about your experiences with it. Prior to the Storm release I got a very accurate mark on my location. However, the app was unusable. Now they have a GPS bug in the app. Hopefully they'll get it working soon.
    03-09-09 05:40 AM
    Just an update on this

Yes. I now. We think we already have a fixed version, but we have to test it at least a little before we let you test as well.
    It might take a few more days.
    That's on the AmazeGPS forums from the site admin. It's about the gps not working.
    03-12-09 09:49 AM
    Get It Fixed Amaze!!!
    03-12-09 08:03 PM
    THanks for the app update!
    03-12-09 09:50 PM
    so any news on this recently? does it now lock on?
    03-18-09 08:32 PM
    I still can't get a sat lock.
    03-19-09 02:57 PM
121 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD