You guys are in trouble..

RIM CEO on BlackBerry Storm: "nobody gets it perfect out the door"

Guess they didn't learn the first time......
    04-16-09 07:54 AM
    well we already know they both don't have the speaking abilities of steve jobs. But yeah, the interview didn't help the company out or the storm for that matter. The line about the browser is only going to confuse people with electronics and/or coding background, b/c the average person would assume he actually knows what he is talking about. (I have no idea) He said nothing good about the storm and that surprised me. He talked about focusing on bad reviews, buggy software, "no one gets it right at first". The best comments wer the app world ones, they made me laugh.

Edit: Btw..this doesn't belong in the OS thread, maybe the general storm thread or most likely the rants and raves. IMO
    Last edited by Rch1214; 04-16-09 at 08:04 AM.
    04-16-09 08:01 AM
    Well I do agree with RIM CEO Mike,

RIM has never went in this direction before. The first releases on other companies were bad as well. Motorola first smart phones. Remember those?

Heck the First Gen iPhone was buggy and allot of user problems. But it got better, and still is not there IMO.

But calling out engineer's with that comment and only backing it up with a link to a news article is not saying much.......

This has nothing to do with Blackberry 9530 OS discussion. Sound more of a Rant to me.
    04-16-09 08:03 AM

No device is perfect out the door. I'd like for you to show me one, just one device that is absolutely perfect upon release. It's not happening. No manufacturer is immune to bugs with devices. Now the Storm launch was unacceptable, I agree, but don't knock the man because he's honest. I'd love for you to show me just one.
    04-16-09 08:04 AM
    No device is perfect out the door. I'd like for you to show me one, just one device that is absolutely perfect upon release. It's not happening. No manufacturer is immune to bugs with devices. Now the Storm launch was unacceptable, I agree, but don't knock the man because he's honest. I'd love for you to show me just one.
    Your up early

On topic: Like I mentioned above. When smart phone first came into the world, companies like HP, Motorola, Samsung. To name a few... they all had devices that came and gone. They were buggy, they had hardware problems, etc. RIM with the first touch screen device did not blow up, nor did it have as many problems as some companies devices I mentioned above. With that said I agree with you, that calling out RIM is not going to make things worse, and RIM knows it. You can only progress forward and I feel that is what Mike has in mind.
    04-16-09 08:10 AM
    If the guy is honest, fine, but he should also say they're working hard to correct the issues and apologize for delivering a product below their standards. Show that he cares about their customers instead of just telling them to accept buggy products at their launch.
    04-16-09 08:16 AM
    This is not new info. I believe he said something similar a month or so ago. IMO, RIM is working hard to make all of its devices better-it's either do that or fold as a company. Palm is on the verge of doing just that-folding. Pre may save them, may not. I don't think it (the Pre) will be without bugs when it ever gets released. And as has been discussed on this website, it appears it still will not be the amazing work tool that BBs are.

Off topic, but this just in from BGR: Palm’s new handset: Pre-mature hype? : Boy Genius Report
    Last edited by fcortese; 04-16-09 at 08:34 AM. Reason: updated info
    04-16-09 08:21 AM
    It didn't seem all that bad to me. The bit about the browser wasn't well spoken, but seemed to indicate that they programmed the browser for security, not speed and are working on improving the speed now. A fact which is evident in the leaked beta OS's.

The rest of the interview wasn't all that negative, he was clearly trying to emphasize how good RIM's underlying technology is rather than focusing on any specific phone.

They're definitely right that he's no steve jobs though.
    04-16-09 08:40 AM

Welcome to several months ago Harry.

As for your question, is RIM run by idiots? They are a Canadian company, of course they are. J/k

It's an interesting thing for a CEO to say that though...I could never imagine Steve Jobs saying that...he'd just secretly fire (or kill...probably kill) his development team.
    04-16-09 08:59 AM
    Well I do agree with RIM CEO Mike,

RIM has never went in this direction before. The first releases on other companies were bad as well. Motorola first smart phones. Remember those?

Heck the First Gen iPhone was buggy and allot of user problems. But it got better, and still is not there IMO.

But calling out engineer's with that comment and only backing it up with a link to a news article is not saying much.......

This has nothing to do with Blackberry 9530 OS discussion. Sound more of a Rant to me.
    You must have not used the original iphone, it certainly wasn't buggy which was why it had the industry's highest satisfaction ratings and still continues to do. Again iphone mentioned when the article has nothing to do with iphone, I guess fanboys need to find a way to justify the Storm.
    04-16-09 10:01 AM
    Short answer to the OP, YES. Reading that article is like watching the Metallica Some kind of Monster documentary. You wonder to yourself, how did Metallica make such a bad record, then you watch that movie and say to yourself, it is worse than I thought.
    04-16-09 10:28 AM

Thank you for a very usefull and informative post. (I'm not talking about the link)
    04-16-09 11:08 AM
    IMO storm launch way better than pearl launch for VZW. Its not a widespread issue, seems to only be batches of storms that have issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 11:17 AM
    Thank you for a very usefull and informative post. (I'm not talking about the link)
    You are welcome....though you really should be thanking Engadget and Laptop for an insight into the thinking at BB....not just one, but it looks like the whole exec crew has their head up their chute when it comes it accepting mediocrity
    04-16-09 11:18 AM
    What first time are you referring to? The talking out part? These guys are tech savvy, not charming sophisticated public speakers who study PR.
    04-16-09 11:18 AM
    They have "vision meetings" to address the complaints? They should have had these meetings prior to release.
    04-16-09 11:31 AM
    They have "vision meetings" to address the complaints? They should have had these meetings prior to release.
    They did, and the users demanded that the Storm be released so they said "eh, if they want it that bad, ok, give it to em, we'll figure the rest out later then"
    04-16-09 11:32 AM
    They did, and the users demanded that the Storm be released so they said "eh, if they want it that bad, ok, give it to em, we'll figure the rest out later then"
    Wow. If they acquiesced because of "user demands" RIM is in trouble.
    04-16-09 11:48 AM
    I'd agree, the Storm shouldn't have been released. In fact, they should recall all of them lol
    04-16-09 11:50 AM
    They have "vision meetings" to address the complaints.
    problem is everybody leaves their glasses at home.....

04-16-09 12:11 PM

04-16-09 12:44 PM

...too funny...but he does seem very arrogant with his responces but hes on point with some of what hes saying.
    04-16-09 12:56 PM
    So how do you get from "Are idiots running RIM" to an article where the CEO is stating something that should have been patently obvious to anyone paying attention to the cell phone industry at all, if it's NOT just an obvious attempt at trolling?
    04-16-09 02:15 PM
    This has got to be one of the best pic responses ever......LOL.

I cannot stop laughing at this. Hahahahahaha

04-16-09 02:28 PM
    You must have not used the original iphone, it certainly wasn't buggy which was why it had the industry's highest satisfaction ratings and still continues to do. Again iphone mentioned when the article has nothing to do with iphone, I guess fanboys need to find a way to justify the Storm.
    because the target iphone consumer base is notably more picky than the general BB userbase they could have just re-released the 1st gen iphone in a few new colours and tripled their sales

well at least they're more picky than...a plank of wood
    04-16-09 02:48 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD