Starting this thread because i was wondering how many Storm haters will crawl out of their holes when the 9520 is launched. I have never not once, thought to myself "man I wish this thing had wifi". Almost all of the initial reviews I have read, and I have read alot of them have all universally condemed the Storm for not having it. When the 9520 is launched they will have the benefit of having worked out alot of the bugs it would have with the 9530. Man does Rogers lineup look sick. Going into a Rogers store will be like going into a buffet for Berries. Well, I will take alittle of the Bold, maybe some Pearl flip, and a little Storm on the side.
    01-21-09 12:02 AM
    I'm setting myself up to grab one the day it launches.
    01-21-09 12:54 AM
    If it wasnt going to be lacking CDMA I would be interested. My work phone is on VZW so an all GSM phone will do me no good.
    01-21-09 12:59 AM
    While i don't pine away for wi-Fi, I'd love it's inclusion.

Granted I'd sooner have Flash enabled, but I'd not turn my nose up at Wi-fi
    01-21-09 01:28 PM
    I've never used wifi on a CDMA phone - I don't think I will need to now, since I can always use my Storm overseas. We'll see how I feel about my next phone, but I'll probably stick with world phones if my wife and I manage to make one trip to Israel every year.
    01-21-09 01:48 PM
    I could have used WiFi when i was overseas.. good thing a little cousin of my friend had a iPod Touch. In the states i can deal with the slow internet on the phone. Verizon does have good coverage. But the one time i REALLY needed it, would have been nice.
    01-21-09 02:39 PM
    Since I've been using the Bolt browser, the lack of wifi, has really become a non-issue. I think Bolt is actually FASTER then the wifi on my wife's iPod Touch.
    Last edited by Spotmark; 01-21-09 at 03:47 PM.
    01-21-09 03:42 PM
    I am not a big fan of the Storm, but if the 9520 is a big improvement (no click problems) I will get it if it comes to AT&T. If not, I will just wait for the Pluto.
    01-21-09 03:51 PM
    Since I've been using the Bolt browser, the lack of wifi, has really become a non-issue. I think Bolt is actually FASTER then the wifi on my wife's iPod Touch.
    I believe Bolt is exactly like Opera Mini. The data is compressed before it is even sent to your BB. If it wasn't compressed then WiFi would leave it in the dust. Bolt is very nice though.
    01-21-09 03:53 PM
    I like the speed of the Bolts browser, but I dunno about its operation. I find it frustrating to use. But its a beta after all.
    01-21-09 03:56 PM
    If it wasn't compressed then WiFi would leave it in the dust.
    The key word there being "If". So, the fact of the matter is, wifi doesn't blow it away. Which, brings me back to my original statement. The lack of wifi has really become a non-issue.
    01-21-09 04:00 PM
    Bolt doesn't work without WiFi on my Blackberry so yeah WiFi is an issue for some at this point.
    01-21-09 04:05 PM
    Again, the lack of Wifi is not a deal breaker, but nothing, from Bolt, to OM, anything, come remotely close to the speed of Wifi. Again, its not just the speed. Yes I know Verizon requires a data plan, but other carriers do not, and Wifi is great for corporate users for a multitude of reasons. The addition of Wifi to a Storm is very much welcomed. And nothing can match it's speed.
    01-21-09 04:08 PM
    The key word there being "If". So, the fact of the matter is, wifi doesn't blow it away. Which, brings me back to my original statement. The lack of wifi has really become a non-issue.
    Well enjoy the compressed data then. Since I get to use both WiFi and 3G on the Bold, I can tell you Bolt is not faster on 3G than the BB browser and mobile Safari on WiFi.
    01-21-09 04:09 PM
    in my experience using the standard browser to surf, the wifi on my curve wasn't noticeably faster than surfing via 3g on the storm.

however i can see how having wifi would be useful. especially for those times when you want to send/receive email while on a call or when in places where reception is bad/none.

it's just tiring hearing people talk about the 9530 not having wifi. i can understand how it would be annoying if you like everything else except that no wifi was a deal breaker.

it will be interesting to compare battery life.
    01-21-09 04:34 PM
    Well enjoy the compressed data then.
    Thanks, I will.
    01-21-09 05:21 PM
    i'd rather have double the memory or have application storage on flash, than wifi
    01-22-09 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD