Storm Shrink and Hybridizer v3.0
    Lovingly (and Painstakingly) built by hollip3020

** 9500 4.7.0.167 RADIO AND JAVA ADDED (8/10) **

** NOTE: Before you post telling me the app wont start, make sure you have .Net Framework 3.5 or above installed. Also, sometimes it might look like it's frozen, it's just trying to connect to my server, just give it a minute, it'll go. **

** ALSO NOTE: This app has the potential to seriously screw up your BB if not used correctly. My advice is to stay away from the Hybridizer unless you know what you are doing. As usual, I'm not responsible if you brick your BB using this app. **

Storm Shrink has matured and grown into a complete one-stop OS Shrinking and Hybrid Building machine! It now has the ability to keep or remove any or all languages and applications/features. Plus, you can build your own hybrid using the Hybridizer for a completely customized OS. All without ever needing to learn the ins and outs of the OS.

But wait, there's more!

Storm Shrink will also backup your OS each time you Shrink and/or Hybridize it so you will never be SOL if something goes wrong with your settings. Also, you can now share your settings with the community simply by saving and uploading them inside Storm Shrink (they will be reviewed by me to make sure they are sound).

How much would you expect to spend on something like this?
    $50?
    $100?
    $200?

Well, you'd be wrong!
    For an unlimited time you can take advantage of this non-exclusive offer for the low price of FREE!
    That's right, Storm Shrink is absolutely FREE! (Although I do take donations)

That's the Storm Shrink core app with Hybridizer, Community Settings, Unlimited Backups and Unlimited Settings Uploads. And if you download within the next 5 minutes (can't do this all the time you know), you'll also receive free updates for the life of the product. All you have to do is click the "Check For Updates" button in Storm Shrink. All for FREE!

Here's how to Download:
    ****** Download It HERE ******

**** Suggestions Are Welcome! ****

Simple How-to:
    1: Run StormShrink.exe
    2: The newest OS will be automatically selected (based on the Platform number, not the OS version number)
    3: Select the languages you would like to keep by moving them to the "To Be Kept" list using the ">" button
    4: Select the Applications and Features you would like to keep by moving them to the "To Be Kept" list using the ">" button
    5: **Advanced** Choose your hybrid options. (See Hybridizing Primer below)
    6: Click "Shrink and Hybridize!"
    7: Wait for the "Success" dialog to appear
    8: You can then either have the program delete your vendor.xml file and start the installation to your BB,
    or just quit out to start the installation at a later time.
    9: Enjoy your new Jenny Craig'd and Hybridized OS!

Hybridizing Primer:
    For those of you who don't know what a Hybrid is, it's basically exactly what it sounds like, a bunch of pieces of different OS versions grafted together because those pieces are better than what's normally there. With that said, there are two concepts that need to be understood before an effective Hybrid can be made with Storm Shrink. They are "Installed OS" and "Base OS".
    - "Installed OS" (referred to as simply installed from now on) is (just like it sounds) an OS you have installed on your PC. These provide the foundation on which to build your hybrid.
    - "Base OS" (referred to as base from now on) is just like the internal structure of a building and what really makes the hybrid what it'd eventually become.
    You might be thinking, "aren't these the same thing?" No. That's not to say they can't be set to the same thing, but they are very different.
    Think of both the installed and base os's as contractors who are working on the building introduced earlier. You could choose one contractor for both jobs (foundation and structure), but if you know another contractor will be able to build the structure faster and/or better you will choose them. This way the construction will be optimized on all levels. The contractor you choose for the foundation is the installed os, and similarly the contractor you choose for the structure is the base os.
    More applicable examples can been seen in the multitude of hybrids using 5.0 files. For these, installed would be equal to whatever release they're putting the 5.0 files into (148 currently), and base would be 5.0.
    Another example would be a 9500 user that would like to use a 9530 OS (not the radio of course). They would choose their installed os as whatever the newest 9500 OS may be, and their base would be the 9530 OS they would like to use.
    Does this all make sense? If not, play around with the installed os and base os options in the app to see how they affect the rest of the hybrid options.

Now for a step by step how to for creating a hybrid:
    1: Select an installed OS from the drop down or choose an OS folder by clicking "Browse." Storm Shrink will analyze your selection and change any options that need to be to fit the OS.
    2: Ensure your device is set correctly in the drop down and choose a Base OS. A base that is different from the selected installed os will cause the app to download a TON of files from my server when the shrink/hybridization is executed, so to save my bandwidth, only choose a different base if there isn't an installer available for your device for that OS (example: someone who wants to use 148 on a 9500).
    3: Select your other options. If you are unsure what to choose for an option, click the "?" button directly to the left of the option. This will give you a little bit of info on that option to help you make your choice.
    4: Select the languages and apps you would like to keep.
    5: Execute the shrink and hybridization by clicking "Shrink and Hybridize"
    6: When it finishes, click "Upload" to send your settings to me to be included in the master list of user settings.
    7: Click "Run Loader.exe" to install your new OS (or "Not Now" if you don't want to just yet)
    8: You're done! Enjoy your new OS!

****** Download It HERE ******

Screenshot

Changelog

v3.0
    full 9500 support
    quick info for apps and hybrid options
    increased shrinkage potential
    have a 9500 but want to use a 9530 OS as a base? No problem. it'll download all the necessary files
    a LOT of stuff behind the scenes
    tons of bug fixes and little conveniences

v2.3
    fixed a few minor bugs, added reminder to check for updates at start

v2.2
    added ability to change lock functionality

v2.1
    added installed os list, fixed problem where no options show up

v2.0.3
    added upload button in success dialog, fixed problem where loader.exe could not be found, fixed a few other bugs

v2.0.2
    removed update check on start, fixed a few other bugs

v2.0.1
    I accidentally uploaded an older non-debugged version, this version is the true 2.0

v2.0
    Added Hybridizer, All languages and apps can be independently kept or removed, Automatic backup, Backup restore via the app, Community supplied "confirmed" settings, upload your own settings for community consumption, automatic newest OS folder detection (although still saves your last used folder), update engine

v1.1
    Updated GUI a bit. Added AppCenter, Default Wallpapers, and SIM Card Capability Removal.
    The app now saves your last used folders.

v1.0.1
    Fixed overzealous "fastEuropean" removal (Error 523)

v1.0
    First Version

***DONATE***

Previous versions can be found here

Here is the original Shrink-A-OS by lyricidal
    Last edited by hollip3020; 08-11-09 at 01:19 AM. Reason: version 3.0!!!
    03-31-09 09:04 PM
    looks awesome dude, like the GUI very much
    very well organized and written, just what I would go for if I knew how to code
    also thanks for giving credit, much appreciated
    now we just need a new OS and we can see what new comes along
    03-31-09 09:09 PM
    Just testing it out to look for fixes for ya:
    Selecting all and "Do It" only shrinks it to 499 files, some are left over. It looks like the "Misc" don't get moved as well as some of the IM .cods - SCRATCH THAT, MISREAD USAGE

Suggestions:
    Have a remember last Java folder used option if possible
    Last edited by lyricidal; 03-31-09 at 09:23 PM.
    03-31-09 09:14 PM
    this works opposite to yours. select the items you want to *keep*.

if you just choose your folder and click "do it" it'll come down to what you're expecting.

i'd feel guilty if I hadn't given credit where credit was due, i guess it's because all those years of my profs pounding anti-plagiarism into my head.
    Last edited by hollip3020; 03-31-09 at 09:18 PM.
    03-31-09 09:16 PM
    Ah, makes sense now lol
    Works perfect than so far

I'm gonna do some tweaking, see if any more files can be removed without getting fatal error
    Last edited by lyricidal; 03-31-09 at 09:32 PM.
    03-31-09 09:20 PM
    net_rim_tid_basicFastEuropean.cod
    net_rim_tid_fastEuropean.cod
    when removed will give you error 523, are you using a wildcard for the word *european* ?

only net_rim_bb_options_fastEuropean.cod is able to be removed
    03-31-09 09:51 PM
    im using a wildcard for *fastEuropean*. ill change it.
    03-31-09 10:10 PM
    ok, I've uploaded the new version. the link is in the OP
    03-31-09 10:58 PM
    sweet program. shrunk down .114 v3 runs amazingly fast! thanks!
    03-31-09 11:28 PM
    Suggestions:
    Have a remember last Java folder used option if possible
    I'll see what I can do
    04-01-09 01:23 PM
    I'm trying this now. I hope it will shrink my .114v3...
    04-04-09 02:29 PM
    Finally got a chance to update it and I just uploaded a new version.

It now can remove the default wallpapers, sim card support and the app center. I also updated the GUI a bit and made it so it remembers your last used folders.

Link is in first post.
    04-04-09 03:31 PM
    Hi, when trying to use this I get a message saying something about a .net Framework v2.0.50727

any ideas??

thanks
    04-11-09 09:55 AM
    you need to download and install the .net framework from microsoft's website
    04-11-09 11:53 AM
    thanks, that worked but so now when using the program it says that "the folder selected does not appear to be the Java folder" better luck next time!!
    How can I find my java folder??
    04-11-09 12:44 PM
    hollip3020

Thanks for the tool, on more thing to make BB life easier.
    04-11-09 06:32 PM
    When I try to launch StormShrink.exe I get the following error:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000135)"

Any ideas anyone?
    04-11-09 09:51 PM
    Q:
    When I try to launch StormShrink.exe I get the following error:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000135)"

Any ideas anyone?
    A:
    you need to download and install the .net framework from microsoft's website
    04-17-09 05:40 PM
    i love this program... but is there any way to not remove languages by default?
    i need korean...
    thanks!
    04-17-09 06:17 PM
    thanks, that worked but so now when using the program it says that "the folder selected does not appear to be the Java folder" better luck next time!!
    How can I find my java folder??
    the app checks for a few non-removable files in the folder to determine if it is in fact a possible java folder.
    the java folder is usually here: c:\program files\common files\research in motion\loader files\{whichever OS you want to shrink}\java
    the app should automatically point you to your "loader files" folder. from there select your desired OS folder, then the java folder.

i love this program... but is there any way to not remove languages by default?
    i need korean...
    thanks!
    this will be in the next update
    04-18-09 12:53 AM
    When will your next up date be ready?
    04-19-09 10:18 AM
    I can'tget the program to run, it says Stormshrunk incounter a problem and needs to close. No other info. Any suggestions?

I'm not getting the error that others posted.
    04-19-09 05:41 PM
    I can'tget the program to run, it says Stormshrunk incounter a problem and needs to close. No other info. Any suggestions?

I'm not getting the error that others posted.
    unfortunately, if it doesnt give an error code there's not really much i can do about it. the only thing i can say is to ensure you have the .net framework installed. i wish i could be of more assistance.

When will your next up date be ready?
    in the next day or two. it would've been finished sooner but i've been bogged down at work. this will be a large update (i.e. 2.0).
    04-20-09 09:31 PM
    I really wanted to preempt lyricidal with this update, but unfortunately that ship has sailed.

Regardless, the update is up. Like I mentioned it's a HUGE update. I'm not gonna list everything here, but it's all listed in the first post as well as the download link.

This one took me a lot longer than I had expected and as such I've set up a Donation box

I hope you enjoy this release and as always let me know if you run into any problems.

My plans are to make this usable for 9500 Storms as well in the near future along with a few other things.
    Last edited by hollip3020; 04-24-09 at 06:41 PM.
    04-24-09 06:30 PM
    I tried it and got and message saying error 113 can't find loader.exe

I have .net framework installed.
    04-24-09 08:44 PM
156 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD