Verizon wireless, and probably the other carriers, will not work on and will VOID your warranty if you show any sign of having had an unofficial OS on your phone.Even if they could tell if you had loaded it on there before but returned back to .75. VZW sent out an email to all of their staff saying employees who except a Storm with leaked software will face immediate termination and possible legal action. They say it can screw up their entire system..

I returned my Storm for a defective seal, massive dust build up under the screen, and they almost didn't except it when i asked about leaked OS's.

Before they could read the OS info, I went home, did a complete wipe a few times in a row and then came back with .75 on there. They gave me a brand new Storm but it almost didn't happen..

I'm sure many already know this, but I thought it would be useful info to pass along. Apologies if this is a repeat.

Now Ill go back to hitting F5 every 3 seconds waiting for the next leak.....
    01-31-09 10:45 AM
    Yeah. Never make mention of it. I think they know if �ou have leaked os because the� can read this forum, know the issues of the leaked os, and when customers call they will know they have it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 11:02 AM
    Verizon wireless, and probably the other carriers, will not work on and will VOID your warranty if you show any sign of having had an unofficial OS on your phone.Even if they could tell if you had loaded it on there before but returned back to .75. VZW sent out an email to all of their staff saying employees who except a Storm with leaked software will face immediate termination and possible legal action. They say it can screw up their entire system..

I returned my Storm for a defective seal, massive dust build up under the screen, and they almost didn't except it when i asked about leaked OS's.

Before they could read the OS info, I went home, did a complete wipe a few times in a row and then came back with .75 on there. They gave me a brand new Storm but it almost didn't happen..

I'm sure many already know this, but I thought it would be useful info to pass along. Apologies if this is a repeat.

Now Ill go back to hitting F5 every 3 seconds waiting for the next leak.....
    What legal action? Termination, sure, but legal action. I think someone in upper management got pissed when RIM called them up and told them they aren't going to be replacing anymore units returned with leaked software from failed OS loads by all the noobs on this forum.

I told you guys (generalization here) were going to frack it up for everyone. Damn noobs!!!
    01-31-09 11:15 AM
    What legal action? Termination, sure, but legal action. I think someone in upper management got pissed when RIM called them up and told them they aren't going to be replacing anymore units returned with leaked software from failed OS loads by all the noobs on this forum.

I told you guys (generalization here) were going to frack it up for everyone. Damn noobs!!!
    People should have to pass a test to get on the internet let alone install leaked OSes.
    01-31-09 11:17 AM
    People should have to pass a test to get on the internet let alone install leaked OSes.
    Nailed it!

I don't think I could have said it better myself.
    01-31-09 11:39 AM
    They would have to prove that the leaked OS you installed is the cause of the defect you are getting your phone replaced for. In your case, Dust under the screen, etc., is definitely not caused by the OS. Refer to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act'
    01-31-09 11:41 AM
    They would have to prove that the leaked OS you installed is the cause of the defect you are getting your phone replaced for. In your case, Dust under the screen, etc., is definitely not caused by the OS. Refer to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act'
    Last I checked, Magnuson-Moss was used for automotive cases. I could be wrong that it doesn't apply for all warranty repairs on ANY product, just going by my past knowledge of it relating to car stuff.
    01-31-09 11:44 AM
    Last I checked, Magnuson-Moss was used for automotive cases. I could be wrong that it doesn't apply for all warranty repairs on ANY product, just going by my past knowledge of it relating to car stuff.
    not according to this Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

Here's an excerpt:

"The Act applies to written warranties on tangible personal property which is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes. This definition includes property which is intended to be attached to or installed in any real property without regard to whether it is so attached or installed. This means that a product is a “consumer product” if the use of that type of product is not uncommon."

I know about it from the days when I put lots of mods on my cars, so like you, I related it to automobiles, but I think it applies to any consumer product as mentioned above.

Verizon would have to prove the defect was caused by a leaked OS.
    Last edited by ultratiger89; 01-31-09 at 11:53 AM.
    01-31-09 11:50 AM
    How would they ever know if you installed a leak if you do a complete wipe and reinstall? Is there a log somewhere that JL_Cmder doesn't clean up. Furthermore, if you mention leaked software to the person you are trying to get a warranty replacement from......Uhhhhhhh......helloooooooo!? Its leaked software people, not official. If you have to post something like "I just downloaded the new software...Now what?" you should probably reconsider even connecting your phone to your computer.
    01-31-09 11:50 AM
    VZW sent out an email to all of their staff saying employees who except a Storm with leaked software will face immediate termination and possible legal action. They say it can screw up their entire system..
    Thats funny, I never got the memo, and I work for VZW.
    01-31-09 11:58 AM
    not according to this Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

Here's an excerpt:

"The Act applies to written warranties on tangible personal property which is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes. This definition includes property which is intended to be attached to or installed in any real property without regard to whether it is so attached or installed. This means that a product is a “consumer product” if the use of that type of product is not uncommon."

I know about it from the days when I put lots of mods on my cars, so like you, I related it to automobiles, but I think it applies to any consumer product as mentioned above.

Verizon would have to prove the defect was caused by a leaked OS.
    Good to know. Unfortunately, what will happen is they'll void your warranty, send you packing and then you'll have to take the time and money to file legal paperwork to prove your case. So, in the end what you have is a bunch of lost time and money over something that shouldn't have been able to be legally done anyway because companies are under no government guidelines to follow acts layed out without citing "It's company policy and you're more then welcome to contact our legal department about it." They cite "company policy" in order to get around the immediate matter at hand (when you're in the store). They're not equipped to deal with legal act matters and they aren't required by law to abide by them if it doesn't cause any physical harm to any party involved. (i.e. not a criminal act) By the time you get done proving your point legally, the Storm 2 with LTE will be out and you won't be able to buy it because you spent all your money taking Verizon to court on something they decided to settle anyway, but not pay out anyhow.

Welcome to US legal system. Don't you just love this country?
    01-31-09 12:00 PM
    Good to know. Unfortunately, what will happen is they'll void your warranty, send you packing and then you'll have to take the time and money to file legal paperwork to prove your case.
    Actually, the burden is on THEM to prove it caused the defect, not the consumer. That's what the act was created for, to protect the CONSUMER
    01-31-09 12:05 PM
    Actually, the burden is on THEM to prove it caused the defect, not the consumer. That's what the act was created for, to protect the CONSUMER
    Oh, no doubt, but in reality, we still get shafted. They'll just cite some crap made up from corporate and you won't have anything but "basic logic" to dictate that they are wrong. Somehow I don't see anyone pushing this far enough not to go into legal discussion and taking time. It's not like you're going to walk into a store and want a replacement for crappy click and they deny it because you have .90 running. Then you state the above act and all of a sudden they back down and cower while bringing you a brand new Storm in the box.

I just don't see that happening. What they should have sent a memo saying is that anyone who brings in a bricked (it can't even be called that really) Storm into a store for replacement should be evaluated to see if the customer bricked it while trying to load a leaked OS. Then the tech onsite should reload the currently official OS on the Storm, go back out to the customer, call them a freaking dumbass for not being able to install a simple OS on a phone, give them back their now working phone and charge them $50 for reloading the OS. Done... no BS, VZW makes money, simple. Everybody's happy.... except the customer who now feel like an id1ot in front of everyone in the store.
    01-31-09 12:12 PM
    How would they ever know if you installed a leak if you do a complete wipe and reinstall? Is there a log somewhere that JL_Cmder doesn't clean up. Furthermore, if you mention leaked software to the person you are trying to get a warranty replacement from......Uhhhhhhh......helloooooooo!? Its leaked software people, not official. If you have to post something like "I just downloaded the new software...Now what?" you should probably reconsider even connecting your phone to your computer.
    Even if there�s no log. They would recover it. But: is it worth?! I can�t imagine, that an RIM-OS, even a leaked, could destroy the hard ware.

I work for Vodafone, didn�t got an Email, too.
    01-31-09 12:13 PM

If by any chance someone was actually searchin the forum to see if u had a leaked os on ur phone. they wouldnt have to read " I just downloaded the new software... Now what?" If u tag your posts with " 4.7.0.90- and loving it " Just a Thought.
    01-31-09 12:16 PM
    Oh, no doubt, but in reality, we still get shafted. They'll just cite some crap made up from corporate and you won't have anything but "basic logic" to dictate that they are wrong. Somehow I don't see anyone pushing this far enough not to go into legal discussion and taking time. It's not like you're going to walk into a store and want a replacement for crappy click and they deny it because you have .90 running. Then you state the above act and all of a sudden they back down and cower while bringing you a brand new Storm in the box.

I just don't see that happening. What they should have sent a memo saying is that anyone who brings in a bricked (it can't even be called that really) Storm into a store for replacement should be evaluated to see if the customer bricked it while trying to load a leaked OS. Then the tech onsite should reload the currently official OS on the Storm, go back out to the customer, call them a freaking dumbass for not being able to install a simple OS on a phone, give them back their now working phone and charge them $50 for reloading the OS. Done... no BS, VZW makes money, simple. Everybody's happy.... except the customer who now feel like an id1ot in front of everyone in the store.
    well, most haven't even heard of that act, like you I only know from discussions about improvement modifications on cars. what you mention above seems like a likely scenario, and in reality, a person should wipe and reload the current official OS before bring it in, but they should also educate themselves on their rights and the law, just in case.
    01-31-09 12:21 PM
    If by any chance someone was actually searchin the forum to see if u had a leaked os on ur phone. they wouldnt have to read " I just downloaded the new software... Now what?" If u tag your posts with " 4.7.0.90- and loving it " Just a Thought.
    I seriously doubt anyone walks into Verizon stores with T-Shirts imprinted with their online names and the line "I post on Crackberry" on them. So, the link between someone's real identity and their online one is most of the time a bit hard to decipher.
    01-31-09 12:24 PM
    NO they would not! The problem does not have to be related to the OS in any way and they can still void the warranty and refuse to help or exchange it...this is a legal FACT! Imagine you buy a PC at Best Buy with Windows Vista on it and you download and install Windows 7 on it then you take it in for exchange or because of problems...they will NOT do any warranty work or exchanges on that PC. You can say I am wrong all you want but I am 100% right. I am only addressing the quoted statement here and not defending or disputing the OP.
    01-31-09 12:28 PM
    isht i am burning the T now!
    01-31-09 12:33 PM
    I seriously doubt anyone walks into Verizon stores with T-Shirts imprinted with their online names and the line "I post on Crackberry" on them. So, the link between someone's real identity and their online one is most of the time a bit hard to decipher.
    Yeah they may read this forum but the logistics of trying to look up online every time someone comes into the store and then see if they can tie them to an online user in this or one of the many other BB forums to see if they talk about loading a leaked OS. Come on that is not going to happen...besides they would still have to prove it was loaded on the phone your bringing in and not another one you may have acquired elsewhere or a friends etc. It is much quicker and easier for them to just check your phone to see and judge by that.
    01-31-09 12:33 PM
    You can say I am wrong all you want but I am 100% right. I am only addressing the quoted statement here and not defending or disputing the OP.
    Did you read the Magnusson-Moss Act? I'm basing my comment on a legal act, what are you basing yours on? If you have something that you can link me too that says otherwise, then please do. If not, then how can you claim to be 100% right when the law says differently? I linked the act above, please feel free to read it.
    01-31-09 12:41 PM
    Knew a friend who had a cb shirt he created and went into ATT. He's a BB user as well. Went fine but I think a rep knew what it all was lol.
    01-31-09 12:43 PM
    That�s what I said: it�s not worth it, to control, if you ever had a leaked running!

But if someone comes into my store: Sorry, I have this reboot loop, since I tried to install .90. I won�t help him. I agree to CIVIC: we should establish a "driver license" for upgrading to leaked!
    01-31-09 12:45 PM
    In the end i would hope VZW would know u have choices. Just me but if they did deny me I would Probably take my $1000 plus a yr. acount to someone else. Bad decision on there part i would think, for something that costs them nill anyway.
    01-31-09 12:45 PM
    Wow, I was just trying to help people from making a mistake.

There are people from all levels of knowledge here so assuming everybody knows everything or is a Crackberry expert is a bit off.

This type of ranting deters others form posting or asking questions.
    01-31-09 02:26 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD