View Poll Results: Maybe if the mods see this they will sticky.... Vote yes if you agree with a sticky!

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, very helpful and would like to see stickied!

253 94.40%
  • No, let this thread fall to the bottom and die.....

15 5.60%
    To try and keep the OP to a decent length you will find the 5 most common OS's to be released or leaked. You can find the rest of the current OS's by using either the 4.7, 5.0, Hybrid shortcuts below. Hope this helps to make things less jumbled and confusing. As always feedback is welcomed!

If you do not see anything that specifically applies to you, please inform myself of the apps you use or things you are looking forward to in an OS and someone will point you into the right direction.

(please no posts that .151 is best because I say so.) <--lets be specific here. and please let me know anything to add to help the crackberrians out.

Before We Begin
    INSTALL A NEW OS/ UPGRADE
    DOWNGRADING TO A DIFFERENT OS
    FIXING A BRICKED PHONE

Handy Tools To Have
    BBSAK-This Handy tool wipes your phone completely and even backs up your 3rd party apps (now that's service!)
    Shrink-A-OS-If you're tired of having all those options you don't use, such as Japanese language you can take it out easily (who likes useless junk? Not I!)

Quicklink to 4.7 OS Info
    Quicklink to 5.0 OS Info
    Quicklink to Hybrid Info

5.0.0.230 FULL Download link
    Facebook for 5.0 OS OTA!!!
    Myspace for 5.0 OS OTA!!!

Hands down if you are going to try out a 5.0 OS, this is the one to load onto your phone. Also since the release of the updated facebook/myspace, you can get them working with 5.0.0.230! It has a working camera, flick scrolling, threaded SMS, and IM apps do work!!! You will see memory in the high 40's upon boot-up. Battery and memory pretty stable. A few glitches with the screen re-orienting, but nothing as of yet requiring a battery pull to fix. Memory management is fantastic, however battery life seems to be lacking a bit.

MEDIA PLAYER ISSUES WHILE MUTING-fix: pause and un-pause to correct mute

WORKING FACEBOOK!
    BBM 5.0 using BBM 5.0.0.33
    Themes are working
    Charge indicator is back
    camera is fast
    Flick Scrolling
    Threaded SMS
    Accelerometer is SUPER QUICK
    Sound quality a little better
    Keyboard lag GONE
    WORKING APPS
    BB App World *OTA*
    Facebook/myspace
    Poynt
    Viigo
    Buzz Me Pro
    Opera Mini 5
    Google Maps
    Blink (led color changer)
    Slacker
    Quick Launch (Right side of screen)

No Tabbed Browsing
    Battery life seems diminished
    NON WORKING APPS
    Quickpull
    Shazam
    Meter Berry
    BerryBuzz
    Meter Berry
    Application Center
    Stop Tilt *I put not working as some users have menu glitches on 5.0*

5.0.0.191 Download Link
    - Thanks to AgTitan06
    Facebook for 5.0 OS OTA!!!
    Myspace for 5.0 OS OTA!!!

I'd like to thank Jlevy and DenzelWashington for giving me the information in this post, and credit (ALL CREDIT) should be given to them when it leaks to us.

*This link contains RIM internal tools. After Installing the OS to your computer remove Internal Tools from your control panel before installing to your phone*

After the horrible 5.0.0.154, this one seems to be somewhat promising. It is VERY STABLE so far. Included now is THREADED SMS, and FLICK SCROLLING, which to some is more pros than any cons, forget about your camera. Even trying to use the camera reboots your phone, and almost thinking about using the camera reboots your phone, so in short, don't use the camera. Great memory stability, decent battery.

MEDIA PLAYER ISSUES WHILE MUTING-fix: pause and un-pause to correct mute

FLICK SCROLLING IS FINALLY HERE
    Threaded SMS
    BBM 5.0 using BBM 5.0.0.33
    Flick Scrolling
    Network shows 3G
    Much more stable
    Some Themes do work with sound
    Predictive Text
    WORKING APPS
    BB App World *OTA*
    Facebook
    Myspace
    IM APPS
    Stoptilt 2.1.2.14
    Slacker
    Talk Lock
    Google Maps
    Quick Launch
    Pattern Lock
    Shazam
    Poynt
    YouTube

NO CAMERA
    Video camera reboots device
    Phone charges but doesn't show it
    No Tabbed browsing
    Screen Errors *fixed by orientating from vertical to horizontal and back.
    NON-WORKING APPS
    Pandora *pauses at the end of every song*
    Meter Berry
    BerryBuzz
    Quickpull (all versions) *use camera instead*

4.7.0.167 Download Link

After all the recent 5.0 leaks to drop for the 9530, it is about time we see some 4.7's leaking! With the 5.0 builds being an incomplete OS, this leak gives you some room to explore with. It is similar to .151 with a few key differences. First, you can now stream slacker/pandora! Second, themes will cause errors, very few if any work so it is best to just stick to the default as you will start to see ghost messages, no alert sounds, etc. if you are using a theme. And last, when installed some people report having less memory available upon boot as compared with .151, but only by about 5-9MB less. Battery is comparable to .151 and memory stability is quite good.

MEDIA PLAYER No issues yet!!!

Slacker/Pandora
    Great Memory
    Less keyboard Lag when on browser
    Transitions on Point
    Quick and Responsive
    Fast Camera
    Accelerometer is Great
    Quick shortcut by clicking time
    WORKING APPS
    MeterBerry
    VZ NAV
    Slacker/Pandora
    Facebook/Myspace
    IM apps
    BBM5
    Talk Lock
    Quickpull
    Poynt
    Quicklaunch

No Themes
    Rare, but unable to delete messages
    Memory drops about 5MB's after a boot but stabilizes
    Sound errors/ notification errors with Themes
    NON-WORKING APPS
    Storm Slider (ability to assign button)

4.7.0.151 Download Link

Very stable OS, has great signal, (for me) and even better battery life. Would've been a great OS if it was able to run Slacker and Pandora. Memory will stay high and only fluctuate by small amounts. Battery pull MAY be needed only 3-4 days.

*BE SURE TO REMOVE THE VENDOR FILE FROM C:>program file>common files> research in motion> apploader.

MEDIA PLAYER Working Correctly

Very stable OS
    Has a very minimal memory leak
    Quick accelerometer
    Virtually no random reboots
    WORKING APPS
    Poynt
    Google Maps
    Vlingo
    Talk Lock
    Storm Slider
    Quick Pull (all versions)

Errors with a lot of themes
    NON-WORKING APPS
    Slacker/Pandora

4.7.0.148 Download Link

This was Verizon's BIG official, and while it was miles ahead of .75, it wasn't where consensus said it should be. Expect decent signal and ok battery life. This OS would be great if I didnt have to pull the battery every day. You will often find your memory dropping into the teens depending on the amount of apps you have installed. However this OS is probably the most compatible OS with respects to any apps/themes.

MEDIA PLAYER ISSUES-Song muting issues and indexing issues from the micro SD card-fix for micro SD card: Remove and re-insert SD card to force a rescan

Stable OS
    Compatible with streaming radio
    Most themes work
    WORKING APPS
    Slacker/Pandora
    Poynt
    Google Maps
    Talk Lock
    Vlingo
    Storm Slider

Greater chance for memory leaks
    Some lag with accelerometer
    Very rare reboot
    NON-WORKING APPS
    don't know of any as of yet.

Thanks goes out to those who contributed and Developers of the tools. I have learned a lot from our users and hope to pass on the knowledge I gained in ONE helpful post.

If anyone would like to contribute please PM me or add a reply and I will try as soon as I can to upgrade this post.
    Also please inform me of any links not working correctly

Hope this helps people that are trying to be steered into the right direction, again if you are seeking help please post apps your interested in using and the features your hoping to see. At all costs!!! Avoid asking which OS is best, I'm trying to get you to the one best suited to YOUR needs.
    Last edited by Thanontos; 10-17-09 at 03:47 PM.
    08-27-09 11:27 AM
    well done! hopefully this will prevent those "what os should I install" threads - but I'm sure we'll still see more

great idea though!
    08-27-09 12:17 PM
    I'm on Lyricidal's Beta 6v8, the about shows .167 and Pandora works fine. OS is smooth. Overall one of the best operating systems for the phone. Still not where the phone should be though in my opinion hybrid, leak or offical.
    08-27-09 12:22 PM
    I second lyrical. Very useful post especially to newer users confused about hybrids. Nicely done

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-09 12:23 PM
    Thanks for the support guys, Ill update it later tonight after work. I forgot to add some more hybrids and other things to look for when installing them. I am hoping to include the "how to" links and also link to other useful tools such as BBSAK, and Shrink-a-OS. And what to do when your BBM5 disappears. Well off to work, and please post any useful things you feel should be added to the 1st post!
    08-27-09 12:49 PM
    Below are the most recent and more commonly used OS's for the 9530. I will try and list compatible apps and what bugs and fixes you should expect to encounter when using these OS's.

If you do not see anything that specifically applies to you, please inform myself of the apps you use or things you are looking forward to in an OS and someone will point you into the right direction.

(please no posts that .151 is best because I say so.) <--lets be specific here. and please let me know anything to add to help the crackberrians out.

Expect decent signal and ok battery life. This OS would be great if I didnt have to pull the battery every day. You will often find your memory dropping into the teens depending on the amount of apps you have installed.

Stable OS
    Compatible with streaming radio
    Most themes work
    WORKING APPS
    Slacker/Pandora
    Poynt
    Google Maps
    Talk Lock
    Vlingo
    Storm Slider

Greater chance for memory leaks
    Some lag with accelerometer
    Very rare reboot
    NON-WORKING APPS
    don't know of any as of yet.

Very stable OS, has great signal, (for me) and even better battery life. Would've been a great OS if it was able to run slacker and Pandora. Memory will stay high and only fluctuate by small amounts. Battery pull MAY be needed only 3-4 days.

*BE SURE TO REMOVE THE VENDOR FILE FROM C:>program file>common files> research in motion> apploader.

Very stable OS
    Has a very minimal memory leak
    Quick accelerometer
    Virtually no random reboots
    WORKING APPS
    Poynt
    Google Maps
    Vlingo
    Talk Lock
    Storm Slider

Errors with a lot of themes
    NON-WORKING APPS
    Slacker/Pandora

4.7.0.151 base Hybrids
    Lyricidals 6V9 Hybrid
    OOAKDPC's 7.99b

Hybrid can be tricky to install, especially if you are new to the OS scene. Please follow their specific instructions when installing. I have linked both to the .exe installers and the only pre-req is to have .151 installed and to remove all other OS's

Both are very stable
    Solid Memory
    Quick
    Good Accelerometer
    Nice Transitions
    WORKING APPS
    *because these are .151 base you will find it will be the same list as 4.7.0.151

Still no Slacker/Pandora
    I was getting better battery life on straight .151
    Still some problems with themes
    NON-WORKING APPS
    Slacker/Pandora

*Note: OOAKDPC has a 7.99 with the .132 radio, HERE That will allow you to use slacker/pandora; but you may have greater memory leak.

This one was expected to be great, and while it failed to some, it made some strides forward. This one has great battery life, and Memory is like a rock. It has a new feature (TABBED BROWSING) and is very responsive and accelerometer is the best. HOWEVER expect a few random reboots when turning the phone with keyboard up, and when trying to open too many tabs in the browser. Themes cause many errors so please just stick to the default zen theme here. Also dont look forward to using social apps on here, though I believe social scope is available to work to at least get you to your beloved face book.

MOST RESPONSIVE
    Browser is quick
    Touchscreen has almost no lag
    Tabbed Browsing
    WORKING APPS
    Slacker/Pandora
    Poynt
    Google Maps
    Storm Slider
    Talk Lock

NO THEMES
    Themes cause errors
    Ghost Messages/Not being able to find them
    Random reboots
    Alarm clock has to be patched to work
    NON-WORKING APPS
    VLingo
    Facebook
    MySpace
    StopTilt
    App World
    Application Center
    Meterberry's ability to reboot the device
    BBFileScout
    Berrybuzz
    Messaging apps (AIM, YAHOO, etc.)
    VZ Navigator
    QuickPull

*Quickpull V2.1 is said to work, but I have not confirmed. The list on non working apps is only temporary as when they get updated by RIM to work on 5.0 we will be able to use them.

I have to got to work now, but Ill finish this up by including 5.0.0.154 (don't know who would want it though) and adding to each listing.

hope this helps people that are trying to be steered into the right direction, again if you are seeking help please post apps your interested in using and features your interested in. At all costs avoid asking which OS is best, Im trying to get you to the one best suited to YOUR needs.
    BBFileScout & Berrybuzz works for me on 5.0.0.140
    Berrybuzz did not with 5.0.0.154
    08-27-09 12:56 PM

cannot send sound files in a text message.

Good idea!
    08-27-09 01:19 PM
    Very usefull post. Like Lyric said it will hopefully avoide the what os should I use questions. If your Pandora and Slacker are working on Lyrics hybrids, you are using either the 148 or 132 radio, not 151.
    08-27-09 04:09 PM
    pandora works fine on my .151. no hybrid here either
    08-27-09 05:07 PM
    pandora works fine on my .151. no hybrid here either
    I had problems with using the .151 radio with pandora. After about an hour it would say insufficient memory and wouldn't allow me to run anything. A battery pull fixed the issue but I wouldn't recommend using .151 with streaming the radio unless you are willing to do battery pulls to correct the issue and it isn't a permanent fix.
    I will note that u can use them in .151 but with expected problems and fix the OP when I get home.

08-27-09 05:19 PM
    Wow nice info.
    08-27-09 05:26 PM
    Looks like you did your homework there
    08-27-09 05:26 PM
    I have personally used each OS. But my opinion isn't what should determine what is a good OS. it'll get better when I get home

08-27-09 05:43 PM
    BBFileScout & Berrybuzz works for me on 5.0.0.140
    Berrybuzz did not with 5.0.0.154
    why did you quote the whole OP just to write one line of text?
    08-27-09 05:54 PM
    this is one of those threads that should be stickied...i'm seriously considering requesting to a MOD that in order to post in any of the forums, you have to study and do a quiz, and the information will all come from stickied posts, similar to this one, which IMO should be stickied or sent to help/how to ASAP...
    08-27-09 05:56 PM
    Thanks Thanontos! I am personally using 5.0.0.140, and I think that the pros FAR outweigh the cons. I mean, with Instango and SocialScope and/or SnapTu, the app compatibility issue is bearable for me. However, when I reverted to .151, I immediately changed back to 5.0 because of the BABY **** smooth appa switcher, messages, music, and home screen. Not to mention the smooth and consistent transitions, and the new media center icon. There are a billion more new cool and nice things, and they make my whole Storm experience SO much better.
    I feel like 5.0 is a great step forward (with the exception of 5.0.0.145, which in my opinion wasn't really an OS more like an experiment, haha).
    But again, thank you for helping out those who always ask WHICH ONE IS BETTER OMGZz?!?
    08-27-09 05:57 PM
    also, make sure you add the REBOOTS and media player physical keys issue to 5.0.0.140 for the negative aspects...
    08-27-09 06:00 PM
    I second the "sticky" motion. It might not clear up all the "which OS should I install" posts (since noobs don't search), but it will provide a quick response.
    08-27-09 06:04 PM
    agreed, the sticky serves two purposes:

1) for the knowledgable and capable users of this site to help themselves, and find answers on their own

2) for us lurking helpers to have a quick reference to link the n00bs when they ask the same question over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, over 9000 times
    08-27-09 06:11 PM
    Agree for the sticky. Or ill just have to keep posting in here to keep it close to the top lol. Thanks for the input again and ill be sure to update the first post.

08-27-09 06:27 PM
    I also agree on a sticky for this thread, It would help clean up all the junk threads with zero replies or with only one reply with SEARCH!! As long as this thread will be updated with new OS's when we get them this will be great and very useful to new members.
    08-27-09 06:28 PM
    Still looking for any input on the new 9500 builds.

I updated a few things in the OP and am suggesting that when someone posts a new thread about best OS, point them here to be educated a little bit! lol.
    08-27-09 10:39 PM
    why did you quote the whole OP just to write one line of text?
    Actually 2 lines

Well, on second thoughts was kinda naive on my part to copy the complete OP!
    08-27-09 10:58 PM
    Title changed at the request of the OP. As for sticky, let me think about it. It IS great info. Maybe we'll move it to the Tips, How To, FAQ area, which has ONLY sticky type threads. Members can not start threads there so the good threads stay on the first page.
    08-27-09 11:09 PM
    Title changed at the request of the OP. As for sticky, let me think about it. It IS great info. Maybe we'll move it to the Tips, How To, FAQ area, which has ONLY sticky type threads. Members can not start threads there so the good threads stay on the first page.
    Thank you PK. This title seems much more fitting. As for sticky or not, whatever helps get some good points across works for me. I have it linked in my sig and will maintain it for as long as I can.
    08-27-09 11:11 PM
206 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD