I saw a comment today that there lacks a simple guide on how to use Shrink-A-OS, so I thought I would write one up. Unfortunately, I apparently do not have access to post it to the "Storm Tips, How to" section, so I will post it here and the moderators can decide where they want it. Here goes:

Simple Step-by-Step Guide on How to use Shrink-A-OS (Windows Only, Not Mac Compatible)

1. Prior to device OS installation, back up phone data using Desktop Manager or Blackberry Swiss Army Knife

2. On your PC go to Control Panel/Programs and Features and uninstall all old and unwanted versions of “Blackberry Device Software” aka device OS software from your PC. In the following Screen shot, I am uninstalling OS 4.7.0.151

3. Even though you just uninstalled the software from your PC, sometimes the OS folder and files are not really removed. To check for this, on your PC go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files folder and check to see if it is empty. Delete any remaining OS folder (Before installing the new OS software on your PC then the Loader Files folder should be empty). In the following screen shot I am deleting OS 4.7.0.151 from my Loader Files folder.

4. Locate on Crackberry.com a download link for the "executable" file for your desired OS. Download and run this file to install the OS on your PC. (Shrink-A-OS will not work if you try to use Blackberry's Desktop Manager). In the following screenshot I have already downloaded the OS 5.0.0.328 "executable" file onto my PC, and I am highlighting and installing the OS software on my PC.

5. Download latest version of Shrink-A-OS to your PC and copy the Shrink-A-OS file (Link to Shrink-A-OS: http://www.theiexplorers.com/bb/Shrink-A-OS.exe). In the following screen shot, Shrink-A-OS 4.1 is already downloaded on my PC and I am copying the file.

6. Paste the Shrink-A-OS file in the OS folder located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\OS Folder (ie 9530AMEA_v5.0.0.328_P4.2.0.128) Do not paste it into the Java or CDMA subfolders. In the following screen shot, Shrink-A-OS 4.1 has been pasted into the OS folder.

7. Right Click Shrink-A-OS file in the OS folder and select “Run as Administrator”

8. Check the box that says the “Shrink-A-OS is in my Current OS folder (not in JAVA or CDMS/GPRS/UMTS)”

9. Check the boxes of the items you want removed from your OS. In the following screen shot, I have selected the items I want to remove from the OS.

10. Click the “Shrink My OS” button. In the following screen shot you can see my Shrink results of 37mb down from 84mb.

11. After the Shrink process is completed, connect your device to your PC using the USB cable

12. On your PC go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader Folder

13. In the AppLoader folder, locate and delete the Vendor file (if this file is missing skip this step)

14. In the AppLoader folder, select the Loader.exe file to install your newly “Shrinked” OS to your phone.

PS - If you think this guide is worthy, ask the Moderators to move it to the "Storm Tips, How To" section.
    Last edited by buckifvr; 10-30-09 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Add Screen shots
    10-28-09 12:06 AM
    I think most people want to know what they are deleting and is its safe or not. Like what happens when you delete the '9500 ringtones' and such.

good write up though
    10-28-09 12:21 AM
    Yea if you have the time give a full breakdown of whats being deleted and such. Yes its long and time consuming but would make a great "How to" guide.
    Add the pathway to #5. c/programfiles...etc.etc. Other than that ive saved it for reposting when needed.
    10-28-09 12:51 AM
    Thanks guys for the input, I will put a little more effort into it and see if I can make it more complete. I'd like to incorporate screen shots from my PC, but I'm not sure how to do that, or what capture software I can use.
    Last edited by buckifvr; 10-28-09 at 09:00 AM.
    10-28-09 08:58 AM
    I'd like to incorporate screen shots from my PC, but I'm not sure how to do that, or what capture software I can use.
    Print Screen button, then paste to Paint (or you favorite photo editing program). Alt+PrintScreen will capture only the active window instead fo the entire desktop.
    10-28-09 10:02 AM
    Print Screen button, then paste to Paint (or you favorite photo editing program). Alt+PrintScreen will capture only the active window instead fo the entire desktop.
    I use SnagIt, freeware version available. Great screen capture tool.
    Last edited by Bob61; 10-28-09 at 11:09 AM.
    10-28-09 11:05 AM
    Thanks for the advice. Now I will have to add screen captures to the How To.
    10-28-09 04:02 PM
    This is a good start, but (having not used Shrink-A-OS before, and wanting to before I upgrade to .328) I really want to know a few more details.

Specifically, what is recommended/commonly deleted, what is possibly up to my preferences to delete, and what I shouldn't touch. Additionally, I want to know where to get those programs and the OS .exe as well (is there one for .328 yet?)
    10-28-09 05:29 PM
    Thanks for the guide. I was actually on here a few hours ago looking for a guide, (with no luck). I had to go to another site to get a guide, But this one is definitely better, Thank You.
    10-28-09 05:41 PM
    Where can i get shrink a os? Link please. How much memory does this save? What can i expect?
    10-28-09 07:24 PM
    Ok for some reason nothing I do will make the OS I just downloaded appear in the Loader Files. I restarted comp twice, re installed OS, tried to navigate to it myself, NOTHING IS WORKING!

Any ideas?
    10-28-09 09:06 PM
    Ok for some reason nothing I do will make the OS I just downloaded appear in the Loader Files. I restarted comp twice, re installed OS, tried to navigate to it myself, NOTHING IS WORKING!

Any ideas?
    So you downloaded your desired OS executable to your PC. Now you must find that OS file, probably in your Downloads folder, and click it to install the OS on your PC. If you only downloaded the file, you still need to install it. I'm sorry if this sounds elementary, but I don't know what you have done or not done
    10-28-09 09:17 PM
    So you downloaded your desired OS executable to your PC. Now you must find that OS file, probably in your Downloads folder, and click it to install the OS on your PC. If you only downloaded the file, you still need to install it. I'm sorry if this sounds elementary, but I don't know what you have done or not done
    I downloaded it and installed it....twice.. it just will not appear in the Loader Files... idk why but this is the first time I have had this problem..and I have done everything like I normally do.
    10-28-09 09:25 PM
    Where can i get shrink a os? Link please. How much memory does this save? What can i expect?
    I just added the link to Shrink-A-OS in the Step-by-step guide above. Its also in my signature. The amount of memory you save will depend on how much you remove. I removed it all except V Cast with Rhapsody, and with 5-6 3rd party apps, I boot up wih about 46 mb.
    Last edited by buckifvr; 10-28-09 at 09:37 PM.
    10-28-09 09:28 PM
    This is a good start, but (having not used Shrink-A-OS before, and wanting to before I upgrade to .328) I really want to know a few more details.

Specifically, what is recommended/commonly deleted, what is possibly up to my preferences to delete, and what I shouldn't touch. Additionally, I want to know where to get those programs and the OS .exe as well (is there one for .328 yet?)
    What you remove is a personal and subjective choice. Personally, I remove it all except V Cast with Rhapsody.
    10-28-09 09:36 PM
    I have the OS installed onto my desktop but Idk how to get the files into the Loader Files like all my other old OS's used to be.
    10-28-09 09:59 PM
    I downloaded it and installed it....twice.. it just will not appear in the Loader Files... idk why but this is the first time I have had this problem..and I have done everything like I normally do.
    Huh, I don't know what to say, perhaps the file you downloaded is corrupt. I woul uninstall all OS's from your PC. Reboot your PC. Find an alternative download source for your file. Then download and reinstall.

I do know my file is good. Maybe I can send it to you by PM or email.
    10-28-09 10:25 PM
    Cheech check your PM.
    10-28-09 10:31 PM
    Will DM load the shrinked os or do you have to use the loader.exe?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 11:37 PM
    ?

10-29-09 01:17 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to post your process regarding Shrink-A-OS ! A big help when any of you folks do stuff like this for us.

I only have access to my Mac computer. Is any (or all) of your steps here going to be different for those trying to do this from our Mac computers ? Any detail you could give would be appreciated !
    Thanks.
    10-29-09 01:52 AM
    Blackbelt,

Unfortunately, Mac's can not use this program without running Windows. If possible, the easiest way for now to work with your Blackberry is using Windows. You can do this by running Windows using Bootcamp, or running a either Parallels (their website is their name plus com) or VMware Fusion (VMware is their website name). However, you have to have a copy of Windows.

Eventually one of us will figure out how to do this without running Windows, I hope.
    10-29-09 06:01 AM
    Davefromohio,

Use Shrink-A-OS to load your file. Don't use DM - EVER! With .328, I downloaded from a non-Verizon site so that I could use SAO. It saved me 10MB from the Verizon version using DM.
    10-29-09 06:50 AM
    I cannot get this to work. I followed all your steps but Shrink a OS will not remove the apps I select. The before and after sizes are the same. Then, when I started loader.exe, the files I selected to remove were still there with a check mark.

In step 3 were I verify the OS is gone, I still had files in the Java and a couple in CDMA. Were those folders supposed to be empty too?
    10-29-09 08:08 AM
    valorian,

The only thing I can think of is that SAO is not pointed to the correct directory. Also, when I check the block that says my SAO is in the Current OS directory, it doesn't work right. Try unchecking that block and see if it doesn't work then. Good luck!
    10-29-09 08:30 AM
222 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD