01-20-20 01:55 PM
135 1234 ...
tools
    folks, iOS update is UP!
    enjoy!
    Ubiquity is king, haha!
    01-14-20 04:43 PM
    My point is simply this, I subscribed to BBMe because I thought I would be getting an iMessage equivalent on Android. Until Blackberry provides that, it is fighting an uphill battle against the established players in messaging.
    01-14-20 04:44 PM
    My point is simply this, I subscribed to BBMe because I thought I would be getting an iMessage equivalent on Android. Until Blackberry provides that, it is fighting an uphill battle against the established players in messaging.
    It never was the aim of BBMe to copy one of the existing messengers.
    PsihoKey2 likes this.
    01-14-20 04:49 PM
    It looks like some here would like to manage a social credit system (like in China) with a big messenger for the masses without security...
    Hahahahahaha! Exactly!!!!
    01-14-20 04:49 PM
    Ubiquity is king, haha!
    Indeed!!
    I am so happy truth about BBMe's quality is beating negativity here!
    Awesome day for BBMe - best msng app on planet!
    rarsen likes this.
    01-14-20 04:50 PM
    All is said, good night, folks!
    PsihoKey2 likes this.
    01-14-20 04:54 PM
    Oh, if you can choose from more than 1.3 million users, that should probably be enough. I am currently chatting with almost 300 contacts via BBMe, both professionally and privately. What do I need other messengers? But if someone only has one BBMe contact, of course, he should change the messenger.
    Well, 20 to 25% of that number anyway.

But if you have a closed group of like-minded contacts, then ubiquity isn't as much of a problem.
    rarsen, John Albert and cwalt2166 like this.
    01-14-20 05:15 PM
    The functionality is not given in group chats and on desktop in Telegram. Signal cannot be used on 5 devices. BBMe is superior.
    "Superior" involves a deep analysis of about 20 different factors.

No need to go there. Just be happy you have something that works for you.
    rarsen and John Albert like this.
    01-14-20 05:28 PM
    Well, 20 to 25% of that number anyway.

But if you have a closed group of like-minded contacts, then ubiquity isn't as much of a problem.
    Do you know my contacts that you can presume to pass judgment on them?
    PsihoKey2 likes this.
    01-14-20 05:59 PM
    Huh?
    01-14-20 06:16 PM
    The argument that messenger A is better than messenger B because it was downloaded more often does not hold water. Is a VW Golf a better car than a Ford Mustang just because it was sold more often? Nobody would argue that either.

Both cars can drive you from point A to B. Which car I choose depends on other criteria. If these criteria are the same for all cars, sympathy and preferences decide. And possibly also the price. Even if the price is a matter of privacy.
    I never said it was better from more downloads perspective. I stated clearly that just like BB10, the security argument is pointless if the platform isn’t mass adopted by users in place of a different existing platform.

BBM for Android/iOS enjoyed huge download number (Initially like 60 million) which then meant it had usability amongst some contacts.

My observation was a simple question about how many download a different messenger had. I don’t use Telegram but I do use BBMe and was curious how the downloaded number compared. Try reading exactly what I type and not getting ahead of my thoughts before I’ve even formed them.
    01-14-20 06:27 PM
    One reason that I chose iOS as my primary device system last year was for iMessage compatibility. I was the only family member amongst my spouse and five kids not on iOS platform exclusively with phone.

I had used iMessage on single line and iPad and it reminded me of BBM of the old days. It was integrated with texting which is huge in USA for me at least.

I’ve seen Android RCS and it’s still not there. If BBMe incorporated phone numbers like WhatsApp, Facebook and iMessage then I think it would be more successful.
    01-14-20 06:32 PM
    I think with certain statements and certain posts that something is “lost in translation” or so it seems. I and conite have both made a statement or post that you’ve interpreted linguistically different than our intended message.
    01-14-20 06:35 PM
    One reason that I chose iOS as my primary device system last year was for iMessage compatibility. I was the only family member amongst my spouse and five kids not on iOS platform exclusively with phone.

I had used iMessage on single line and iPad and it reminded me of BBM of the old days. It was integrated with texting which is huge in USA for me at least.

I’ve seen Android RCS and it’s still not there. If BBMe incorporated phone numbers like WhatsApp, Facebook and iMessage then I think it would be more successful.
    every platform for messaging has their priorities. incorporating phone numbers should not be one for bbme and no idea why youd suggest such as that easily compromises security and is a feature with weak benefits to the market focus of bbme users. bbme does what it does well. it shouldnt be the end all to everything like all other messengers try to be.

blackberry has a unique audience, and while they may have failed some areas marketing-wise, the folks responsible for the content on crackberry should not a negative bend on blackberry. it never surprises me anymore as I still think there is a strong competitive element here against blackberry in the form of controlled opposition and astro-turfing tactics being disguiesed as "reasonable" logical arguementation. your bend has never done any good for blackberry but perpetuate a negative image on blackberry. that has to stop.
    01-14-20 09:17 PM
    These posts are getting weird. Just use what works for you. I’d love to use BBMe but no one in the US that I know uses it and I’m not in to having convos with strangers. That seems creepy.
    01-14-20 09:26 PM
    I'm sure that's not all you do by yourself.
    What is this quality you speak of? Is that like security? This sounds like the old argument for BB10 over Android/iOS back in the day. What good is a messenger client if people I know have already given it up. Many of the people I know used BBM in the old days. If all their contacts use something else, they won’t feel like installing yet another messenger. Especially one they moved away from in the past.

BBM for Android/iOS by Emtek already failed. If my contacts and their contacts don’t care about BBMe security or quality, what good will it do me? I already have BBMe and I’m tired of talking with and to myself.....
    01-14-20 09:34 PM
    every platform for messaging has their priorities. incorporating phone numbers should not be one for bbme and no idea why youd suggest such as that easily compromises security and is a feature with weak benefits to the market focus of bbme users. bbme does what it does well. it shouldnt be the end all to everything like all other messengers try to be.

blackberry has a unique audience, and while they may have failed some areas marketing-wise, the folks responsible for the content on crackberry should not a negative bend on blackberry. it never surprises me anymore as I still think there is a strong competitive element here against blackberry in the form of controlled opposition and astro-turfing tactics being disguiesed as "reasonable" logical arguementation. your bend has never done any good for blackberry but perpetuate a negative image on blackberry. that has to stop.
    This is excellent answer! I completely agree.
    They actions here are partly responsible for negative image for blackberry and BBMe.
    Luckicy BBMe has us to spread truth about its quality.
    To compare BBMe against Viber, Telegram and such 3rd party security compromising app with adds also and less features is ridiculous....
    BBMe is light years ahead of Telegram, Viber, Whatsapp etc....
    We who have all those apps constantly know it!!!
    Thank God for this tiny price of 4€ for BBMe..... It saves thousands for me...
    Since 'free' apps like viber etc....charge you with your personal data like phone number, adress, saving your chats and data on servers witout you even knowing it....
    Rico4you likes this.
    01-14-20 10:36 PM
    Excellent answer Paulemar18!!!
    Yesterday a small firm of 20 people's owner asked me about BBMe, I showed him and also showed this forums!!!
    He and all his 20 employees will use it from tomorrow morning!
    That means that finally we have won against negativity and harm that some here are being doing to Blackberry constantly!
    Shift in public opinion is happening! Little by little!
    Rico4you likes this.
    01-14-20 10:39 PM

How would mass acceptance of the BBMe platform ever be construed as bad? iMessage uses phone numbers and is considered secure no?
    01-14-20 11:14 PM
    While correct that Telegram does not automatically default to end to end encryption, the functionality is there when needed. Would Signal have been the better example?

I suggested Telegram because it offers what BBMe doesn't, server side backup and restore, and it doesn't charge for the priviledge. iOS side there is no comparison, iMessage is the superior product, and completely free.
    1. iMessage does not work on android.
    2. Since iMessage doesn't work on android, it is not free because you have to buy an iPhone to use it.
    01-14-20 11:18 PM
    This is excellent answer! I completely agree.
    They actions here are partly responsible for negative image for blackberry and BBMe.
    Luckicy BBMe has us to spread truth about its quality.
    To compare BBMe against Viber, Telegram and such 3rd party security compromising app with adds also and less features is ridiculous....
    BBMe is light years ahead of Telegram, Viber, Whatsapp etc....
    We who have all those apps constantly know it!!!
    Thank God for this tiny price of 4€ for BBMe..... It saves thousands for me...
    Since 'free' apps like viber etc....charge you with your personal data like phone number, adress, saving your chats and data on servers witout you even knowing it....
    How does suggesting ways for BBMe to be acceptable to general public hurt? If people don’t use the platform due to low acceptance how does it expect to displace other platforms? People left BBM for simpler ways to add contacts and send messages.

How secure is using BBMe really when you’re sharing your pin with strangers here on CB anyways? How’s that different than sharing pins in real life and that being shared by others.
    John Albert and Mecca EL like this.
    01-14-20 11:19 PM
    1. iMessage does not work on android.
    2. Since iMessage doesn't work on android, it is not free because you have to buy an iPhone to use it.
    Ergo, by that logic, the original BBM wasn’t free either. It was adopted in large numbers though When BBM later went cross platform and free, people left in droves.

iMessage doesn’t prevent you talking with Android or the reverse, it’s still text message.
    01-14-20 11:21 PM
    I think with certain statements and certain posts that something is “lost in translation” or so it seems. I and conite have both made a statement or post that you’ve interpreted linguistically different than our intended message.
    Are you now the spokesman for Conite? In order to avoid misunderstandings or wrong translations, I have some friends here in the forum who are native speakers and explain the meaning of your sotty posts to me.
    01-15-20 12:11 AM
    Are you now the spokesman for Conite? In order to avoid misunderstandings or wrong translations, I have some friends here in the forum who are native speakers and explain the meaning of your sotty posts to me.
    There was nothing derogatory in my response. If you interpreted that, you would be incorrect.
    01-15-20 12:47 AM
    every platform for messaging has their priorities. incorporating phone numbers should not be one for bbme and no idea why youd suggest such as that easily compromises security and is a feature with weak benefits to the market focus of bbme users. bbme does what it does well. it shouldnt be the end all to everything like all other messengers try to be. BlackBerry also has all of your particulars in order to obtain a BBID.

The phone number bit is a red herring. You can sign up to any of those other apps with a virtual number that takes only minutes to get - and that's only an issue in the first place if you don't trust the messaging company. BlackBerry collects plenty of info too when you obtain a BBID.

Most messaging companies worth their salt allow independent security audits. BBMe does not.

Telegram, for instance, allows independent audits, and offers an enormous bounty ($200,000) to anyone who finds any flaws with their security protocols. As of yet, no one has collected said bounty.

One of the biggest security "must haves" for the experts is an auto-destruct message that requires no user intervention. BBMe does not have that, unless you pay for the full version and have access to the console. Telegram, for instance, does have this feature.

The bottom line is that security is a complicated and lengthy discussion involving many components.

Even despite the phone number (which you can easily get around anyway), many other messaging apps are rated much higher by security experts.

But none of this says you shouldn't use what works for you. The outrageous claims, however, need to stop - it sounds completely unhinged.
    Last edited by conite; 01-15-20 at 01:15 AM.
    John Albert, Mecca EL and pdr733 like this.
    01-15-20 12:51 AM
135 1234 ...