I asked this question on a BBMe group and Denis Fedotenko responded that they have a Linux desktop version in the works however BlackBerry has not decided on releasing it yet.

I asked to get some kind on reception on the Freenode IRC server on a few channels and got a mixed reaction (mind that most of Freenode community is all open source diehards) however I got some folks saying they loved blackberry back in the day and had no idea BlackBerry was still a brand in smart phones. Some of those folks looked into the blackberry website on the BBMe and were excited about it. I also pointed them to this security spec sheet:
    https://hand.is/bb/BBMeSecurity.pdf

Hard to find BlackBerry link to security spec sheet:
    https://docs.blackberry.com/content/...urity_Note.pdf

I asked if folks can write letters in anticipation and he gave me and the group this email:

> bbmenterprisesupport@blackberry.com <
    Last edited by givechanceachance; 05-29-19 at 09:08 AM. Reason: BB link to BBMe Security
    05-29-19 09:04 AM
    I asked this question on a BBMe group and Denis Fedotenko responded that they have a Linux desktop version in the works however BlackBerry has not decided on releasing it yet.

I asked to get some kind on reception on the Freenode IRC server on a few channels and got a mixed reaction (mind that most of Freenode community is all open source diehards) however I got some folks saying they loved blackberry back in the day and had no idea BlackBerry was still a brand in smart phones. Some of those folks looked into the blackberry website on the BBMe and were excited about it. I also pointed them to this security spec sheet:

I asked if folks can write letters in anticipation and he gave me and the group this email:

What does a Linux version do for us not IT guys that don't understand the significance?
    05-29-19 09:15 AM
    What does a Linux version do for us not IT guys that don't understand the significance?
    It would expand BBMe user base from 217 to 231.
    05-29-19 09:19 AM
    It would expand BBMe user base from 217 to 231.
    LMAO
    05-29-19 09:20 AM
    There are Microsoft haters (for reasons I won't go into here, some security related [backdoors]) that drive a lot of folks to consider Linux desktop environments, the most common and user friendly being Ubuntu.

Releasing BBMe for Linux will draw in more BBMe users on that end.

Ubuntu and others are user friendly, maybe moreso than Windows. I understand that OS/X for many is a viable alternative of which BBMe runs. Though not everyone will want to run Apple hardware; it is not very reliable for some of the more rugged needs.
    05-29-19 09:22 AM
    You folks are so cynical on BB, love it though I don't think this sort of negative reinforcement helps BB any other than for the BB support prianhas to have something to fight!

Do you think as moderators and admins, that you should have reserved the better interests of BlackBerry and their products?....I see a lot of dimissing among you all admins and mods lately as if you sit ashore watching and parading a sinking ship all from negative perceptions and being complicit with it.
    BBHermes likes this.
    05-29-19 09:36 AM
    Think someone at BlackBerry said they had BLEND for Android "in the works".... two years ago.

Might not be much to converting the Android app.... but you release it, you have to support it. There is a cost to doing this, what is the reward for BlackBerry doing it?

Now maybe if BlackBerry's UEM was able to run on Linux, and if a lot of UEM Administrators were running Linux on their management consoles..... they might want this and ask for it. But AFAIK, BlackBerry's UEM still requires a Windows Installation.
    05-29-19 09:37 AM
    You folks are so cynical on BB, love it though I don't think this sort of negative reinforcement helps BB any other than for the BB support prianhas to have something to fight!

Do you think as moderators and admins, that you should have reserved the better interests of BlackBerry and their products?....I see a lot of dimissing among you all admins and mods lately as if you sit ashore watching and parading a sinking ship all from negative perceptions and being complicit with it.
    What is the Linux userbase right now? Of those how many are running only Linux in a production setting? Of those how many won't have a smartphone to use BBMe with?

Realistically how many additional BBMe users do you see a Linux version bringing to BlackBerry? Do you see it as really being worth their spending resources on releasing and SUPPORTING such a product?

I like Linux and wish it was better supported by vendors, but I understand why it isn't and don't want BlackBerry wasting resources that could be better spent.
    05-29-19 09:49 AM

Most of us are neither admins or mods but that's irrelevant. CB was formed as fan site and it's a forum to support the betterment and hopefully survival of BlackBerry and now BBMo and it's related products. Those products can only survive if the Android/iOS flagship and WhatsApp supporters are given actual benefits that matter to actual userbase. Then benefits have to be further paid for by said prospective userbase.
    05-29-19 10:03 AM
    There are Microsoft haters (for reasons I won't go into here, some security related [backdoors])
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/b...ages-1.3620186
    05-29-19 10:23 AM
    Won't be possible with BBMe I think.

Security here:

I think it is unfair to compare BBM to BBMe this way.

The big question is will BB have to deal with introducing backdoor in the future should criminals and such prefer this platform, making otherwise BB a liability and enabler.
    05-29-19 10:28 AM

Do you think as moderators and admins, that you should have reserved the better interests of BlackBerry and their products?
    I think BBMe Consumer subscriptions HURT BlackBerry.

The needle hasn't even moved on Play Store downloads since before the Emtek announcement. Even at $7 per year, it's a losing proposition in my opinion.

And if through some freak chance, it even comes close to breaking even, then it's a serious misallocation of resources within BlackBerry to even be fiddling with it.

I am very pro-BlackBerry, some would even say a shill. But I think they should spend their limited resources on things with a significant ROI - and they are doing a good job at it lately. This is just a distraction.
    05-29-19 10:56 AM
    I think BBMe Consumer subscriptions HURT BlackBerry.

The needle hasn't even moved on Play Store downloads since before the Emtek announcement. Even at $7 per year, it's a losing proposition in my opinion.

And if through some freak chance, it even comes close to breaking even, then it's a serious misallocation of resources within BlackBerry to even be fiddling with it.

I am very pro-BlackBerry, some would even say a shill. But I think they should spend their limited resources on things with a significant ROI - and they are doing a good job at it lately. This is just a distraction.
    If BlackBerry wanted the extra BBMe business... they could have made the transition much more seamless than the did.
    givechanceachance likes this.
    05-29-19 11:26 AM

What would be the preference? Debian package or AppImage?
    givechanceachance likes this.
    06-07-19 07:28 AM
    Deb package I can use to test right away. Thanks. My window manager for X is just simply Motif.
    06-07-19 07:34 AM
    What would be the preference? Debian package or AppImage?
    Hi Denis,

I just sent an email to the bbmenterprisesupport@blackberry.com request for testing deb package.
    06-11-19 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD