I've been continuing to use my original BBM on my Classic. But on my LE, on which I am not using 99% of Google services, I had to create a BBMe account. So I created a 2nd BBID on the BlackBerry website, and downloaded and successfully installed the official BBMe app from the Aurora Play Store (same as Yalp).

All was going fine until I typed my new BBID info into the BBMe app. Then this message popped up: "The Google Play Store is not available or requires an update on your device. Please update and try again later."

Google Play Store is indeed disabled on my device. But why is BBMe looking for it if I downloaded and installed BBMe from another store? And can I get around this without giving Google Play Store my new BBID info?

If the answer is no and I have to use Google Play Store to set up BBMe, I will want to change the email address I used for my 2nd BBID. Can I do that, or do I need to create a 3rd BBID with a throwaway email address?

Thanks all!

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    01-12-20 03:03 AM
    I've been continuing to use my original BBM on my Classic. But on my LE, on which I am not using 99% of Google services, I had to create a BBMe account. So I created a 2nd BBID on the BlackBerry website, and downloaded and successfully installed the official BBMe app from the Aurora Play Store (same as Yalp).

All was going fine until I typed my new BBID info into the BBMe app. Then this message popped up: "The Google Play Store is not available or requires an update on your device. Please update and try again later."

Google Play Store is indeed disabled on my device. But why is BBMe looking for it if I downloaded and installed BBMe from another store? And can I get around this without giving Google Play Store my new BBID info?

If the answer is no and I have to use Google Play Store to set up BBMe, I will want to change the email address I used for my 2nd BBID. Can I do that, or do I need to create a 3rd BBID with a throwaway email address?

Thanks all!

AFAIK, it will only use Google for payment for the app - you don't have to share you email address.
    You will likely need to enable GPS again to set up BBMe, and then you could disable again once done. Pretty sure that should work.
    Ragbert likes this.
    01-12-20 08:36 AM
    Yeah probably cause it's a subscription based app your getting that message.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    Ragbert likes this.
    01-12-20 08:38 AM
    I don't use Google for payments or banking. So the option to pay for apps through your carrier must be gone? That was how I was set up before in BBW - paid apps were added to my monthly phone bill - easy, convenient, and private. So with Android, Google not only makes the OS, it monitors how you use it, who and where you are when you're using it, and now is also the payment processor?!? What a racket.

So... I'm going to have to start all over again with a throwaway email/BBID, and use a throwaway credit card, just in case I end up deciding to pay for BBMe (or any other app too).

Is this how all Android phones work? Google controls everything you do with every Android device, right down to processing payments for apps acquired through non-Google sources? Sorry if I sound naïve, but this is a real eye-opener. I'm starting to see why people root their phones.

Thanks again for the info, Ben - much to consider here.

AFAIK, it will only use Google for payment for the app - you don't have to share you email address.
    You will likely need to enable GPS again to set up BBMe, and then you could disable again once done. Pretty sure that should work.

01-12-20 01:54 PM
    You can set up a Google account on your phone with an alias, and then use a credit card through Privacy.com that masks your real information, including the CC nunber. Google won't have any way of knowing who downloaded the app.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    Ragbert likes this.
    01-12-20 03:15 PM
    Thanks, bb10adopter111. I was given a pre-filled VISA card as a gift last month - I will probably use that, as it doesn't require a name or billing address. I don't want a Google account on my phone at all. Sadly, the place where I need the fake email address is in my new BBID, which I created on the BlackBerry website even before I had the phone in hand, using a real email address (non-gmail). I will have to change that, if possible, or delete it and create a 3rd BBID with a fake email - just to use BBMe exposed to the Google Play Store.

I will check out privacy.com as well - thanks for the suggestion. :-)
    You can set up a Google account on your phone with an alias, and then use a credit card through Privacy.com that masks your real information, including the CC nunber. Google won't have any way of knowing who downloaded the app.

01-12-20 04:28 PM
    Thanks, bb10adopter111. I was given a pre-filled VISA card as a gift last month - I will probably use that, as it doesn't require a name or billing address. I don't want a Google account on my phone at all. Sadly, the place where I need the fake email address is in my new BBID, which I created on the BlackBerry website even before I had the phone in hand, using a real email address (non-gmail). I will have to change that, if possible, or delete it and create a 3rd BBID with a fake email - just to use BBMe exposed to the Google Play Store.

I will check out privacy.com as well - thanks for the suggestion. :-)
    I disagree. Google doesn't know anything about the BBMe app other than it was downloaded, and that you're (will be) paying for it. They will also know your card info that you're using to pay.
    For your BBID you need an email address that you can control, so if the need should arise you can change the password.
    You will need to sign into Google Play (using a throwaway account) to setup a payment method (the gifted card?) and subscribe to BBMe. Once you've done that, there shouldn't be any need for you to keep a Google account on the device.
    I hope I'm making sense .
    01-12-20 11:56 PM
    I disagree. Google doesn't know anything about the BBMe app other than it was downloaded, and that you're (will be) paying for it. They will also know your card info that you're using to pay.
    For your BBID you need an email address that you can control, so if the need should arise you can change the password.
    You will need to sign into Google Play (using a throwaway account) to setup a payment method (the gifted card?) and subscribe to BBMe. Once you've done that, there shouldn't be any need for you to keep a Google account on the device.
    I hope I'm making sense .
    This is correct. I use a throwaway Google account that isn't linked to my real ID for all play store transactions. (The recovery email address on that Google account is a service that also doesn't know my identity, so Google can't trace it to me.)

Google knows there is a user with my phone who has downloaded certain apps, and that's fine with me, but my phone number and email address are not tied to my name at all. If a human at Google wanted to try to ID me based on behavior, they might be able to, but I can defeat most of the automated commercial surveillance.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 01-13-20 at 12:18 PM.
    01-13-20 08:30 AM
    Just wanted to +1 on the email issue. You really should use a real email address for your new BBID (assuming you trust BB and anyone who may potentially acquire BB in the future). That identity (your BBID) will not be shared with Google when you buy the app.

Obviously the email you use for your Google account itself is available to Google.

Also, just a clarification on Google’s role in Android: developers like BB are free to use whatever payment scheme they want. Disney does this. You download the app for free and then you pay for its use directly to Disney with no Google in between. But for most developers, especially smaller ones, it’s easier and cheaper to do it through Google Play. That’s what BB chose to do.
    01-13-20 12:03 PM
    If you want to bypass Google Play, then you can email BB sales directly and purchase a full up corporate version of the app but that is about 40$ a year.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-13-20 08:44 PM
    @Ragbert just wanted to make sure you've seen the latest posts in here...
    01-14-20 08:16 PM
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I was under the impression that the email I use for my BBID would be what Google Play would access to authorize my purchase. If this is indeed not the case, I'll leave my BBID as is (connected to me) and give Google Play a throwaway (does it have to be gmail, or will any email domain work?).

So many logins, so little patience haha.

01-14-20 08:23 PM
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I was under the impression that the email I use for my BBID would be what Google Play would access to authorize my purchase. If this is indeed not the case, I'll leave my BBID as is (connected to me) and give Google Play a throwaway (does it have to be gmail, or will any email domain work?).

Don't forget to save all your passwords to Google....
    01-14-20 08:35 PM

Just make sure to save your Google account credentials somewhere safe. I have a Google account that I only use for my KEYone, but that means I can use it to find my phone and do other useful things with it. I called it a "throwaway" but I consider it a semi-permanent account since I use it to purchase apps. I just never use it for anything besides Google.

01-14-20 09:24 PM
    Hahaha! 😄

Don't forget to save all your passwords to Google....

01-16-20 12:38 AM
    Not sure this was answered - can I use a disposable email at any domain, or does it have to be a gmail address?

... I'll leave my BBID as is (connected to me) and give Google Play a throwaway (does it have to be gmail, or will any email domain work?).

01-16-20 12:41 AM
    Not sure this was answered - can I use a disposable email at any domain, or does it have to be a gmail address?

Android really wants you to have a Google account whether or not you use Gmail. A Google account defaults to a new Gmail address, but you don't have to use that. When you create your account, click "Use my current email account instead"

IF PRIVACY IS YOUR GOAL:

When creating your account, you can also turn off all tracking and history if you don't want Google storing your personal data, but that will also affect how some Google Apps work. You will have to provide a cell phone number, but you can later change it to a VOIP number or delete it entirely.

Your cell phone number is widely used to correlate your accounts with your identity. I never give my carrier assigned number to anyone but use VOIP and forwarding numbers instead. However, you need a genuine mobile number to create a Google account.

So, I used a burner SIM from Mint Mobile ($5 from Amazon) to create my Google account. Once it was validated I created a Google Voice number, then switched the SIM number to a different VOIP number to use with that account.

In case I ever need it again, I put the SIM card in an envelope and label it. I never use that card for any other service, and it's not tied to my identity. (My phone isn't tied to my identity with my carrier either.)

01-16-20 06:52 AM
    Giving out my cell number, especially as identity, is a dealbreaker. I don't even give it to my bank.

Thanks for the info, more to think about. *sigh*

Android really wants you to have a Google account whether or not you use Gmail. A Google account defaults to a new Gmail address, but you don't have to use that. When you create your account, click "Use my current email account instead"

IF PRIVACY IS YOUR GOAL:

When creating your account, you can also turn off all tracking and history if you don't want Google storing your personal data, but that will also affect how some Google Apps work. You will have to provide a cell phone number, but you can later change it to a VOIP number or delete it entirely.

Your cell phone number is widely used to correlate your accounts with your identity. I never give my carrier assigned number to anyone but use VOIP and forwarding numbers instead. However, you need a genuine mobile number to create a Google account.

So, I used a burner SIM from Mint Mobile ($5 from Amazon) to create my Google account. Once it was validated I created a Google Voice number, then switched the SIM number to a different VOIP number to use with that account.

In case I ever need it again, I put the SIM card in an envelope and label it. I never use that card for any other service, and it's not tied to my identity. (My phone isn't tied to my identity with my carrier either.)

01-16-20 10:28 AM
    Giving out my cell number, especially as identity, is a dealbreaker. I don't even give it to my bank.

Thanks for the info, more to think about. *sigh*

No problem. You can use any cell or landline phone to set up your Google account and immediate delete it after validation. I would NEVER use my real number. I have used business landline phones and even a payphone with no problem.
    01-16-20 12:35 PM
    Just wanted to +1 on the email issue. You really should use a real email address for your new BBID (assuming you trust BB and anyone who may potentially acquire BB in the future). That identity (your BBID) will not be shared with Google when you buy the app.

Obviously the email you use for your Google account itself is available to Google.

Also, just a clarification on Google’s role in Android: developers like BB are free to use whatever payment scheme they want. Disney does this. You download the app for free and then you pay for its use directly to Disney with no Google in between. But for most developers, especially smaller ones, it’s easier and cheaper to do it through Google Play. That’s what BB chose to do.
    It has been a while since I set up BBMe but I thought there was more than one payment option. I thought PayPal was one of the options. Or do I remember incorrectly?
    Also, they have to have a way to bill and collect ongoing payments every 6 months because it is a subscription. Does someone know how this is done?
    Last edited by Sigewif; 01-17-20 at 02:05 AM.
    01-17-20 01:50 AM
    It has been a while since I set up BBMe but I thought there was more than one payment option. I thought PayPal was one of the options. Or do I remember incorrectly?
    Also, they have to have a way to bill and collect ongoing payments every 6 months because it is a subscription. Does someone know how this is done?
    On iOS when I set mine up the only option I had was billing through Apple. If they are now offering PayPal, that’s good and would make a lot of sense since it seems one of the big drivers for using BBMe still is mistrust of Google and FB.
    01-17-20 07:19 AM
    I set mine up in the very beginning on Android but only use on iOS since right after that. I don’t remember anything other than payment via card enrollment
    01-17-20 07:51 AM
    What is the validation process? To use a pay phone, do you have to wait for it to ring? (yeah yeah what's a pay phone? lol) Do you need to talk to anyone? I still know my former landline number, which was disconnected when I moved. I'd consider a work phone, except we're all on extensions, and you get a recording when you call the main number.

No problem. You can use any cell or landline phone to set up your Google account and immediate delete it after validation. I would NEVER use my real number. I have used business landline phones and even a payphone with no problem.

01-17-20 08:55 AM
    What is the validation process? To use a pay phone, do you have to wait for it to ring? (yeah yeah what's a pay phone? lol) Do you need to talk to anyone? I still know my former landline number, which was disconnected when I moved. I'd consider a work phone, except we're all on extensions, and you get a recording when you call the main number.

Yes, they will call the number automatically and a computer voice will provide a code for validation. At least they did last time I created a Google account in August, 2017 when I set up my KEYone.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

I just read that there have been problems with the land line verification method since last summer:

It's possible to verify initially with a land line, but when you try to remove or change that number, Google no longer supports calling the number but simply sends an SMS message. This is a truly awful practice, both for security (SMS can't be secured against SIM swap attacks) and for convenience as SMS generally doesn't work on land lines!

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 01-17-20 at 09:14 AM.
    01-17-20 09:00 AM

Without having me sound like a total ahole, what are we trying for end game? Anonymity is possible by setting up a phone number through TextNow or some other texting app.
    01-17-20 02:56 PM
43 12