Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
07-08-19 03:10 AM
175 ... 567
tools
    I'm just trying to understand because the documentation is pretty vague. I checked "use manual passphrase" but I don't understand the advantage/disadvantage of disabling autopassphrase. do you know?
    06-05-19 11:49 AM
    I'm just trying to understand because the documentation is pretty vague. I checked "use manual passphrase" but I don't understand the advantage/disadvantage of disabling autopassphrase. do you know?
    By using a manual passphrase exchange, it allows you to keep your encryption key safe from Blackberry so they can't read your messages.

It also gives you the ability to authenticate the recipient outside of the Blackberry infrastructure.
    06-05-19 11:53 AM
    yes I realize that. but "disable autopassphrase" is a separate setting that's independ of the manual passphrase checkbox. you can have manual paraphrase check and have autopassphrase enabled or disabled and I'm trying to understand how it affect the manual passphrase setting, if at all. if u don't k ow, then that's ok
    06-05-19 11:56 AM
    yes I realize that. but "disable autopassphrase" is a separate setting that's independ of the manual passphrase checkbox. you can have manual paraphrase check and have autopassphrase enabled or disabled and I'm trying to understand how it affect the manual passphrase setting, if at all. if u don't k ow, then that's ok
    Oh I see. You're talking about the service menu versus the main menu, correct?

I've never played around with that, but I suspect they might be redundant.
    06-05-19 12:00 PM
    yeah it didn't seem to make a difference :-)
    06-05-19 12:04 PM
    This is what a Forum is all about...
    opinions...comments and more opinions...
    So would love seeing #BlackBerry chime in here...is #BBMe consumer version not as secure as we think it is?
    06-05-19 12:07 PM
    So would love seeing #BlackBerry chime in here...is #BBMe consumer version not as secure as we think it is?
    https://docs.blackberry.com/en/id-co...a1400605853571

Manual is only available on the full version, and it's the only way to ensure that the provider can't read your posts (or be compelled to offer them up to law enforcement).
    06-05-19 12:12 PM
    "How does the security work?

The sender and recipient each have unique public/private encryption and signing keys. These keys are generated on the device by a FIPS 140-2 certified cryptographic library and are not controlled by BlackBerry. Each message uses a new symmetric key for message encryption. Secure end-to-end signing and encryption protects all BBMe messages from eavesdropping or manipulation. Additionally, TLS encryption protects the connections between the device and BlackBerry's infrastructure."
    (From: https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/pro...nterprise/bbme)
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-05-19 02:45 PM
    Regarding the "Passphrase"-settings in BBMe for Windows I sent a question to the BBMe support.
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-05-19 02:47 PM
    "How does the security work?

The sender and recipient each have unique public/private encryption and signing keys. These keys are generated on the device by a FIPS 140-2 certified cryptographic library and are not controlled by BlackBerry. Each message uses a new symmetric key for message encryption. Secure end-to-end signing and encryption protects all BBMe messages from eavesdropping or manipulation. Additionally, TLS encryption protects the connections between the device and BlackBerry's infrastructure."
    (From: https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/pro...nterprise/bbme)
    You are still misunderstanding the article.

Yes, "these keys are ... not controlled by BlackBerry", but if you send it over their network, they will (can) get them.
    06-05-19 02:51 PM
    Regarding the "Passphrase"-settings in BBMe for Windows I sent a question to the BBMe support.
    I got this answer: "This menu item will be documented under the next release in a more extensive manner."
    Jake2826 likes this.
    06-05-19 03:05 PM
    You are still misunderstanding the article.

Yes, "these keys are ... not controlled by BlackBerry", but if you send it over their network, they will (can) get them.
    I trust Blackberry. That's why I use it. Don't you ?
    Rico4you and Jake2826 like this.
    06-05-19 03:07 PM
    I got this answer: "This menu item will be documented under the next release in a more extensive manner."
    In other words in their rush to get something to market, they didn't fully document the difference between the original BBMe they have been selling to enterprise for $60 and this new lite version they are selling (or free for now) to consumers.
    06-05-19 03:08 PM
    Yes he does.... he just puts more trust in the full version than in the lite version.
    06-05-19 03:10 PM
    In other words in their rush to get something to market, they didn't fully document the difference between the original BBMe they have been selling to enterprise for $60 and this new lite version they are selling (or free for now) to consumers.
    Some say so and some say so...
    06-05-19 03:13 PM
    That's fine. I have no issue with that at all. But just don't pretend it's really end-to-end encrypted when you can't authenticate the other user, and realise it's no more secure than the old BBM.

I trust BlackBerry. But they also have a history of being overly helpful to government and law enforcement.
    06-05-19 03:31 PM
    That's fine. I have no issue with that at all. But just don't pretend it's really end-to-end encrypted when you can't authenticate the other user, and realise it's no more secure than the old BBM.

I trust BlackBerry. But they also have a history of being overly helpful to government and law enforcement.
    Conite negative towards Blackberry? What happened?
    06-05-19 03:43 PM
    Lol.

For the record, I am still an unabashed shill, and I actually like the full BBMe product (although you can get more features for less / free with other services).

I just don't want people to get canoodled into believing that this consumer BBMe version is the same product.
    Last edited by conite; 06-06-19 at 05:31 PM.
    drobbie and Smokeaire like this.
    06-05-19 03:46 PM
    The quoted answer has nothing to do with what you have called "rush to market".
    06-05-19 11:06 PM
    The quoted answer has nothing to do with what you have called "rush to market".
    What’s the explanation? How does BB expect this version to be economically viable this go around when history suggests otherwise?
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 06-06-19 at 07:54 AM.
    06-06-19 05:40 AM
    Conite is very knowledgeable and gives honest answers that he backs up with facts.
    06-06-19 06:50 AM
    Some say so and some say so...
    What?!?
    06-06-19 12:20 PM
    At the same time, you can only lead a horse to water.
    And yet in the age of the "Global Warming Crisis" handwringing and minor plastic bans,and fears or claims of waters rise . Similarly alongside of Google tapping your communications and everywhere habits in personal profile building spies....it'll be a much easier motivater for the horse to drink (BBMe), because the water comes to him...it surrounds him otherwise. (It might even be up to his neck.)
    06-27-19 12:39 AM
    Any way to change the font size of BBME in the Desktop App?
    dusdal likes this.
    07-07-19 06:40 PM
    07-08-19 03:10 AM
175 ... 567