07-08-19 04:10 AM
175 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Lots of free options.
    Thanks, good to know.
    05-13-19 10:13 AM
    Yes, these were always the facts I suppose. However, when have we ever seen these facts spelled out? For most people, BBM(e) is just another messenger, but it does have very unique features that if people knew about, they may actually appreciate.

We know that BlackBerry Limited has never been any good at marketing. Their failures have always been about marketing, not technology. BB10 was better than Android and iOS when it came out, and arguably, Android and iOS are just catching up.

I have one friend that just upgraded to an iPhone X. His first reaction was "hey, this is like my old Z10". I said, "yep, welcome to 2013."

Apple and Google are not successful because their technology is particularly advanced. Sure, it's great, but their marketing is what does it. BlackBerry was the typical "engineering company"... they never really understood marketing and advertising.

John Chen still doesn't get it. The money is in the consumer market, not the enterprise. Just look at the stock price...
    The money is only in the consumer market for the largest well capitalized players which BlackBerry has never been. Compare Apple, Google, Microsoft and BlackBerry 10 years ago or now and that hasn’t changed. BB was and is small when compared with those and many other mobile OEM players. Google, now Alphabet has mistakes every year that are bigger than BlackBerry the company.

I’m a fan of BlackBerry the company and for the sake of it’s shareholders and employees, Chen has definitely made the right decisions. Hold onto whatever parts of the mobile space BB participates in but accept BB isn’t the industry driver for over 10 years and BB10 only ruined it’s remaining mobile pedigree with the vast majority of consumers that still believed in 2013 or so.

The stock price reflects a much different company that has very little to do with anything mobile phone wise. Chen gets it and that’s why I and others question BBMe consumer strategy and commitment. I’m waiting for a name change that drops negative brand perception of BlackBerry itself. The negative consumer perception, I’m sure Chen’s aware of this and share price. The question is what is actual value left in BB name brand? Could it just become a subsidiary in a restructuring? Did Prem and Chen do this as reverse IPO for Cylance brand? Maybe there’s a Cylance tie-in for consumers to purchase that will then offer BBMe as extra add on.
    05-13-19 10:15 AM
    OK. Well, that's an added hassle and most people wouldn't know how to do that. I just set up WhatsApp for my parents yesterday, and they certainly wouldn't know how to get a virtual number.

Are these virtual numbers free?

Free virtual numbers have so many options beginning with Google search
    05-13-19 10:19 AM
    Maybe a return to Research in Motion...? LOL.

Yeah, "BlackBerry" is probably more a hindrance than a help now. However, at least people recognise the BlackBerry name (good or bad). Moving to another name will certainly make people think that BlackBerry finally went out of business.

I guess it doesn't matter really. Looks like the era of BlackBerry devices will soon be coming to an end.

Maybe another company will eventually purchase the BlackBerry name and make phones that people actually want with cutting edge specs and the marketing money to make a difference in the market.

Maybe Microsoft?
    05-13-19 10:22 AM
    Maybe a return to Research in Motion...? LOL.

Yeah, "BlackBerry" is probably more a hindrance than a help now. However, at least people recognise the BlackBerry name (good or bad). Moving to another name will certainly make people think that BlackBerry finally went out of business.

I guess it doesn't matter really. Looks like the era of BlackBerry devices will soon be coming to an end.

Maybe another company will eventually purchase the BlackBerry name and make phones that people actually want with cutting edge specs and the marketing money to make a difference in the market.

Maybe Microsoft?
    Microsoft is a far better regarded name on its own with trillion dollar market cap. It could have purchased BB with Bill Gates loose change in the cushions of the couch in the staff quarters.

Average consumer no longer cares about cutting edge specs as recent sales data released shows. Consumers like free and cheap software and hardware that leads us back to original consumer business exit strategy. BlackBerry is lucky to not have ended up like Nortel did.
    05-13-19 11:02 AM
    These are the FACTS:

1. BBMe is high-grade encrypted.
    2. BBMe doesn't require a phone number. You can use it on ANY device, without a SIM card.
    3. The call and video quality are unparalleled and secure.
    4. The message expiry and retraction features are much better than other messengers.
    5. BBMe doesn't monetize the data that goes through its servers.
    6. BBMe Desktop can be used on multiple devices with call, video and screen share features.
    7. It is lightweight and doesn't use much memory or battery.
    8. It is fast.
    9. The PIN system allows for complete anonymity and privacy.
    10. BBMe doesn't allow for screenshots.

These are all the ones I can think of from the top of my head.

I'm sure the carriers don't like BBMe because it doesn't require a mobile plan and actually has better call quality than cellular service. I'm sure the snooping agencies don't like it because they can't listen into chats and phone calls. I'm sure Facebook and Google don't like it because of its "no data monetization" philosophy.

So why don't people use it? It's actually the best, most secure and highest quality messaging service out there.

If these facts were actually advertised, I'm sure people would see the value.

For many people, BBMe could actually nullify the need for a mobile number and data plan.
    Yes, I absolutely agree with you. Maybe you named some reasons.
    Last edited by howarmat; 06-06-19 at 05:35 AM.
    05-13-19 11:10 AM
    Your facts aren't quite accurate.

You do need data to use BBMe (and correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't get mobile data without a phone plan).

With in-band passphrase exchange and no message auto-destruct (with the consumer version), it is NOT the most secure.

PIN is no more anonymous than a virtual phone number.

But yes, indeed there are some features of BBMe that some may prefer over other offerings.
    In most European countries you can't get a SIM-Card without a flatrate for data. It is alway included. Noone uses SMS/MMS anymore. Mobile communication is more developed than in America.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-13-19 11:16 AM
    Yes, I absolutely agree with you. Maybe you named some reasons.
    Well, the BBMe "model" is against what everyone else is selling. Sure, there may be "workarounds" to get a "virtual number" to set up WhatsApp or Signal or Viber, but with BBMe, it's just a simple procedure, no phone number required.

If something is free, YOU are the product. I would rather pay a few dollars per year and avoid the "snooping" on my conversations and have all the added features of BBMe, like the desktop app.

So, yeah, no wonder BBM/BBMe was marginalised. It's the only channel that is completely anonymous and secure.

I just don't get it... it's a brilliant service that CAN be a leader again if somebody just put a little effort into making its features public.

Besides, if BlackBerry Limited is the "secure communications" company, why not advertise BBMe as the most secure messaging app for consumers as well as enterprise?

I'm going around in circles, so I will stop.
    Last edited by howarmat; 06-06-19 at 05:37 AM.
    05-13-19 11:33 AM
    So, yeah, no wonder BBM/BBMe was marginalised. It's the only channel that is completely anonymous and secure.
    This is NOT accurate. It is disingenuous to repeat it.

With in-band passphrase exchange, BlackBerry could theoretically be decrypting and storing all of your conversations.

I'm not suggesting they are acting in that fashion, but your chats ARE vulnerable if they feel so inclined.

The full version is free of the security issues I continue to remind people of here.
    Last edited by conite; 05-13-19 at 11:46 AM.
    05-13-19 11:36 AM
    Well, the BBMe "model" is against what everyone else is selling. Sure, there may be "workarounds" to get a "virtual number" to set up WhatsApp or Signal or Viber, but with BBMe, it's just a simple procedure, no phone number required.

If something is free, YOU are the product. I would rather pay a few dollars per year and avoid the "snooping" on my conversations and have all the added features of BBMe, like the desktop app.

I just don't get it... it's a brilliant service that CAN be a leader again if somebody just put a little effort into making its features public.

Besides, if BlackBerry Limited is the "secure communications" company, why not advertise BBMe as the most secure messaging app for consumers as well as enterprise?

I'm going around in circles, so I will stop.
    Again I agree with you. I can't see how these daily statements against BBMe should improve the market chances for BlackBerry. It is a kind of sabotage.
    05-13-19 11:41 AM
    Again I agree with you. I can't see how these daily statements against BBMe should improve the market chances for BlackBerry. It is a kind of sabotage.
    These "statements" don't appear spontaneously - they are in direct response to either questions, or incorrect statements.

What will you have me do? Ignore them for the sake of blindly supporting BBMe consumer?
    05-13-19 11:48 AM
    By the very people who believe ignoring the past abandonment of the consumer platform not once but twice?
    05-13-19 11:53 AM
    These "statements" don't appear spontaneously - they are in direct response to either questions, or incorrect statements.

What will you have me do? Ignore them for the sake of blindly supporting BBMe consumer?
    No. -I agree that there is NO absolute security. The 5 Eyes and China and Russia and other are able to spy people and economics. But BBMe is -beside Threema- one right step in the right direction -to make it more difficult, no more. Also every BlackBerry user should be aware that he can be spyed by the NSA and friends. It is not about to hide something but to protect the civil rights.
    Therefore I support BBMe. Ohers support the "right" to monetize all data of all people. Chuck Finley declared in another thread here two days ago he would also sell weapons if people want it and pay for it.
    This is not my way.
    BlackBerry should not give up wanting to be a security and privacy focused company. I know, they try to find a balance and they know about the risk of riding on razor's edge. After the spy of Angela Merkels BlackBerry by the NSA and spying out Europe's (and others) economics they lost a lot of faith.
    Restoring this faith is the only chance for BlackBerry. Therefore they should be supported -also with solidary criticism, but not with daily attacs against the courageous try they do with BBMe.
    05-13-19 12:54 PM
    Restoring this faith is the only chance for BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry is restored quite fine. They have no need for a handful of new BBMe consumer users to bog them down.
    05-13-19 12:56 PM

The full version is free of the security issues I continue to remind people of here.
    Is the full version free of this only when auto pass phrase is turned off?
    05-13-19 01:02 PM
    BlackBerry is restored quite fine. They have no need for a handful of new BBMe consumer users to bog them down.
    You disqualify yourself.
    05-13-19 01:03 PM
    Is the full version free of this only when auto pass phrase is turned off?
    Yes. Use manual passphrase, and turn on auto message-expiry.
    Last edited by conite; 05-13-19 at 01:38 PM.
    05-13-19 01:05 PM
    You disqualify yourself.
    Huh?
    05-13-19 01:05 PM
    You disqualify yourself.
    You should edit your post or at least finish what you were saying. Unfortunately, the message didn't come through, literally or figuratively, I'm not sure.
    05-13-19 01:33 PM
    You should edit your post or at least finish what you were saying. Unfortunately, the message didn't come through, literally or figuratively, I'm not sure.
    A problem of translation. It means " to lead oneself ad absurdum".
    05-13-19 01:39 PM
    Still lost.
    05-13-19 01:44 PM
    I understand the word definition. Unfortunately, your message, is lost in translation, no pun intended.

Perhaps you could explain better from the earlier quote with a longer or different reply.
    05-13-19 01:49 PM
    I don't want to continue. The positions are clear.
    05-13-19 02:11 PM
    Whatever conite's intention - and he is obviously one of the most learned and helpful members of this forum (even, arguably, *the* most learned and helpful) - the above statement

i) implies that BBMec is not good for BlackBerry Ltd;

ii) implicates that, if one cares about the success of the company - as a shareholder or prosumer might - that one should not use BBMec.

Note that, in logic, the sense of the word word 'implies' is stronger than that of the word 'implicates'. The former expresses necessary consequence and the latter expresses probable or most likely consequence.

It may be that conite doesn't intend ii), but that is certainly what comes across. This, in turn, is one factor that gets so many of the prosumers around here riled with conite: At minimum, these kinds of statement often make him - along with certain others in the CB elite - come across as a killjoy -)

Posted via CB10
    Rico4you likes this.
    05-13-19 02:36 PM

i) BBMec is not good for BlackBerry Ltd;

ii) if one cares about the success of the company - as a shareholder or prosumer might - that one should not use BBMec.
    This is generally one of the things my analysis of the numbers leads me to believe, and for me, the first statement logically leads to the second statement.

However, I have always advocated that people use whatever device, app, or workflow that works best for them. If BBMec fits the bill, have at 'er!

I also will step in and comment if I feel false claims are being made - whether those claims are favourable or non-favourable to BlackBerry / BlackBerry Mobile. I am therefore often criticised as being either a shill or a troll depending on the subject.

People suggest I'm repetitive, but truthfully, the same questions/claims will always generate the same responses.
    Last edited by conite; 05-13-19 at 02:55 PM.
    05-13-19 02:44 PM
175 ... 23456 ...