07-08-19 03:10 AM
175 1234 ...
tools
    What would constitute a "Private Chat"....?
    Look for a "Start private chat" button in the chat somewhere. It basically sends a request to the other person to 'start a private chat' that will self destruct after a certain length of inactivity.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-19 03:00 PM
    Look for a "Start private chat" button in the chat somewhere. It basically sends a request to the other person to 'start a private chat' that will self destruct after a certain length of inactivity.

Posted via CB10
    I recall this existing when I was on my BB10 Passport. I've used it before. But it doesn't seem to exist anymore in the Android BBMe app. Even enabling this options doesn't activate it.
    05-11-19 03:02 PM
    Yeah, I checked my console. It has the following options to turn ON and OFF.

BBM Protected Cloud Directory Service
    BBM Protected Wipe Data
    BBM Protected Disable Channels
    BBM Protected Enable Manual Passphrase
    BBM Protected Disable Retract and Edit Message
    BBM Protected Disable Timed Message
    BBM Protected Disable Private Chat
    BBM Protected Message Expiry
    BBM Protected Disable Voice Calling
    BBM Protected Disable Protected Voice Calling
    BBM Protected Enable Team Messaging for Healthcare
    BBM Protected Active Directory Enabled
    BBM Protected Disable Copy
    BBM Protected Enable Team Messaging
    BBM Protected Disable Video Calling
    BBM Protected Disable BBM Shop
    BBM Protected Disable File Sharing
    BBM Protected Disable Location Sharing
    BBM Protected Message Synchronization Window
    BBM Protected Restrict External Communication
    BBM Protected Disable Screen Sharing
    BBM Protected Disable Huge Pictures
    BBM Protected Disable Upgrade Notifications

Being no expert, which do you think is the one that provides added security?
    Use manual passphrase, and turn on message expiry.
    05-11-19 03:06 PM
    Quite frankly, the Enterprise console doesn't seem to do anything at all. Maybe it's a holdover from the "old days". No matter what options I change, it just seems to work as usual.
    05-11-19 03:06 PM
    One thing I did notice in my BBMe settings is "Move account to UEM". I have no idea if I should do this or not?
    05-11-19 03:10 PM
    One thing I did notice in my BBMe settings is "Move account to UEM". I have no idea if I should do this or not?
    It only makes sense if you have a BlackBerry UEM license.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-11-19 03:12 PM
    Well, I've been paying for it for a few years now.
    My point is that's it great you a guys are discussing the critical attributes of BBM and how it can be used and improved.
    rarsen likes this.
    05-11-19 03:15 PM
    My point is that's it great you a guys are discussing the critical attributes of BBM and how it can be used and improved.
    I totally get it. I think BBMe has the potential to make inroads in this crazy world where you can't trust anyone with your data or even know if your data is being monetized.
    05-11-19 03:18 PM
    Yeah, I checked my console. It has the following options to turn ON and OFF.

BBM Protected Cloud Directory Service
    BBM Protected Wipe Data
    BBM Protected Disable Channels
    BBM Protected Enable Manual Passphrase
    BBM Protected Disable Retract and Edit Message
    BBM Protected Disable Timed Message
    BBM Protected Disable Private Chat
    BBM Protected Message Expiry
    BBM Protected Disable Voice Calling
    BBM Protected Disable Protected Voice Calling
    BBM Protected Enable Team Messaging for Healthcare
    BBM Protected Active Directory Enabled
    BBM Protected Disable Copy
    BBM Protected Enable Team Messaging
    BBM Protected Disable Video Calling
    BBM Protected Disable BBM Shop
    BBM Protected Disable File Sharing
    BBM Protected Disable Location Sharing
    BBM Protected Message Synchronization Window
    BBM Protected Restrict External Communication
    BBM Protected Disable Screen Sharing
    BBM Protected Disable Huge Pictures
    BBM Protected Disable Upgrade Notifications

Being no expert, which do you think is the one that provides added security?
    All of them or none of them, depending on what you're trying to secure, and from whom.

"Security" isn't a commodity that you get more of by buying product A vs. Product B, or by flipping switch X from off to on. That's why consumers have such a hard time with protecting their information.

Once you decide what you're protecting, and from whom, it's relatively simple to choose which controls to use.

As a simple example, if your threat model is having private, sexy messages to a lover forwarded, copied or intercepted by a spouse, you would select one set of controls. But if you're worried about preventing users from accidentally sharing information with external people, you might select a different set.

05-11-19 03:21 PM
    I totally get it. I think BBMe has the potential to make inroads in this crazy world where you can't trust anyone with your data or even know if your data is being monetized.
    The consumer level puzzles me as BB already sold off to Emtek once. Perhaps as paymodel this go around but it's lacking a hook for me to get people to leave Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp for now. If somehow it could incorporate SMS/MMS into the platform. At this point, even Google hasn't figured it out with its various chat platforms...
    05-11-19 03:22 PM
    The consumer level puzzles me as BB already sold off to Emtek once. Perhaps as paymodel this go around but it's lacking a hook for me to get people to leave Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp for now. If somehow it could incorporate SMS/MMS into the platform. At this point, even Google hasn't figured it out with its various chat platforms...
    I recall a time when BBM incorporated SMS/MMS messages in the app. I believe it was when I had my Bold 9000 running BBOS 5(?) Or am I remembering something different?
    05-11-19 03:25 PM
    BBMe Desktop is great especially when you chat with your other account on your phone.
    05-11-19 03:26 PM
    I recall a time when BBM incorporated SMS/MMS messages in the app. I believe it was when I had my Bold 9000 running BBOS 5(?) Or am I remembering something different?
    It was in the old hub somehow but not in the SMS/MMS like iMessage sense
    05-11-19 03:28 PM
    It was in the old hub somehow but not in the SMS/MMS like iMessage sense
    I don't think so. BBOS didn't have a Hub. That came with BB10. It was actually in the BBM app.

elfabio80 likes this.
    05-11-19 03:29 PM
    Some consumers are starting to realize that they should use private, encrypted messaging that isn't powered by companies like Google, Facebook, or their carriers, all of whom aggregate, monetize (and therefore risk compromise of) personal information.

My entire family has started moving to Signal recently, and I know a lot of smaller communities (like new mom support groups) that are starting to use Slack instead of FB messenger or WhatsApp.

BBMe needs to do what Slack has done, which is focus on business use (with better access control and security as a differentiator). Slack is a nightmare to secure because its focus is on collaboration and productivity.

05-11-19 03:31 PM
    I don't think so. BBOS didn't have a Hub. That came with BB10. It was actually in the BBM app.
    I'm calling Hub but it was something I remember like you said but not phone number based. That's a lot of Captain Morgan ago......
    05-11-19 03:32 PM
    I'm calling Hub but it was something I remember like you said but not phone number based. That's a lot of Captain Morgan ago......
    I posted a video above. All BBM and SMS/MMS message were aggregated in the BBM app.
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    05-11-19 03:34 PM
    I posted a video above. All BBM and SMS/MMS message were aggregated in the BBM app.
    Close to iMessage
    05-11-19 03:37 PM
    Close to iMessage
    Yeah, very close and years ahead. If BBMe could accomplish that, it would be great.
    05-11-19 03:38 PM
    If it incorporates SMS/MMS I'll switch and pay annually. This would enable my usage and not impact others who might not yet see the value in BBMe. I noticed many people are getting creeped out from their mobile devices making more and more recommendations based on their conversations and location. I believe people are starting to wake up ( a little)
    05-11-19 05:05 PM
    If it incorporates SMS/MMS I'll switch and pay annually. This would enable my usage and not impact others who might not yet see the value in BBMe. I noticed many people are getting creeped out from their mobile devices making more and more recommendations based on their conversations and location. I believe people are starting to wake up ( a little)
    I can't imagine that ever happening. SMS is inherently unsecurable, so no enterprise would want it's users using SMS on an otherwise encrypted platform like BBME, because it could lead to mixing encrypted and encrypted information.

05-11-19 05:50 PM
    I can't imagine that ever happening. SMS is inherently unsecurable, so no enterprise would want it's users using SMS on an otherwise encrypted platform like BBME, because it could lead to mixing encrypted and encrypted information.

This makes sense. Incorporating SMS/MMS would make the platform insecure. However, since BBMe actually has a "consumer" and "enterprise" version, the enterprise version could restrict SMS/MMS, whilst the consumer version could allow it. It would depend on the enterprise administrator to determine what is allowed.

iMessage works this way. iMessages are encrypted, SMS/MMS isn't, so it's the exact same situation. I see no drawback to allow consumer BBMe to allow SMS/MMS to come through.

Signal also works the same way.

If BBMe can handle SMS/MMS, it would certainly make it easier for people to adopt it.
    05-11-19 05:57 PM
    This makes sense. Incorporating SMS/MMS would make the platform insecure. However, since BBMe actually has a "consumer" and "enterprise" version, the enterprise version could restrict SMS/MMS, whilst the consumer version could allow it. It would depend on the enterprise administrator to determine what is allowed.

iMessage works this way. iMessages are encrypted, SMS/MMS isn't, so it's the exact same situation. I see no drawback to allow consumer BBMe to allow SMS/MMS to come through.

Signal also works the same way.

If BBMe can handle SMS/MMS, it would certainly make it easier for people to adopt it.
    But BBME doesn't really have a consumer focus, as far as I know. I agree, I've they decide to make a consumer play, they might go that route. I just don't think they want to market to or support consumers long term, but I could be wrong.

05-11-19 06:00 PM
    The best thing that could happen to BBM Emtek was BBMe replacing it. Period.
    Yes BBMe!

Sent from my STV100-4 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-12-19 04:07 AM
    But BBME doesn't really have a consumer focus, as far as I know. I agree, I've they decide to make a consumer play, they might go that route. I just don't think they want to market to or support consumers long term, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, the buzz may quickly die and this may have been for positive message for BB Support to combat negative perception and confusion for BB Enterprise solutions as many people misunderstood Emtek announcement.

Shareholders were happy with consumer business exit as it's never been a BB strongpoint. The monetization issue becomes the problem again.
    05-12-19 08:52 AM
175 1234 ...