We watch films from Laserdisc (best format for films the way the director intended; and with intermissions - disc flips :P) over Google Meet. We discuss unique and original films in the BBMe group.

Here is the link if you would like to join:

https://www.bbmenterprise.com/chat/3...7a34d77e3386.2
    05-17-20 06:17 PM
    We watch films from Laserdisc (best format for films the way the director intended; and with intermissions - disc flips :P) over Google Meet. We discuss unique and original films in the BBMe group.

I have to disagree the best and sharpest format is RCA SelectaVision. I do have a Pioneer Laser that flips the laser automatically. I also have a large collection of 16 mm film. Full length movies mostly from TV stations when film was the way to go.
    05-18-20 06:07 PM
    For google meet probably no difference between SelectaVision video records and Laserdisc. In anycase the Laserdisc market were where the film buffs demanded the director versions of the films and not the production company versions. In anycase join if you like; should be a fun experience and experiment with this social distancing recourse.
    05-25-20 06:28 PM
    2bfb47e4

Posted via CB10
    05-26-20 06:08 AM
    I have to disagree the best and sharpest format is RCA SelectaVision. I do have a Pioneer Laser that flips the laser automatically. I also have a large collection of 16 mm film. Full length movies mostly from TV stations when film was the way to go.
    Some directors still prefer to go old school and to shoot with Film.... but digital really has taken over Hollywood. I agree the "best format for films the way the director intended" was a little misleading. How many films where shot with Laserdisk and the "TVs" or projectors of that time period in mind?

I do get that with these new consumer formats.... being able to offer Direct Cuts or Unedited Versions was something fans could get behind (and studios could rack up on). And look at how fans have successfully pushed to see Snyder's original Justice League Movie.

But what is really lost today... is the idea of "original films".
    05-26-20 10:56 AM

I found it remarkably difficult to find CAV discs. It was also popular in the days of Laserdiscs to only offer pan-and-scan versions - which was certainly not what the directors intended.

But when you did manage to find your favourite movie on Criterion CAV - joy. Memories of Blade Runner and 2001.
    05-26-20 11:11 AM
    You can find Plenty of SelecaVision discs, I have a 200+ collection. The most fun is running the film on film 16MM same as a TV station, we run two projectors and take great pride in a seamless hand off. Also many films have "tells" built in to show were to insert the commercial. A small circle right hand upper corner will flash by, we then run period commercials that get the most laughs. The best is Ricardo Montalban selling the Chrysler Cordoba with Corinthian Leather.
    05-26-20 05:18 PM
    You can find Plenty of SelecaVision discs, I have a 200+ collection. The most fun is running the film on film 16MM same as a TV station, we run two projectors and take great pride in a seamless hand off. Also many films have "tells" built in to show were to insert the commercial. A small circle right hand upper corner will flash by, we then run period commercials that get the most laughs. The best is Ricardo Montalban selling the Chrysler Cordoba with Corinthian Leather.
    If those were theatrical films, those circle marks weren't for commercials. Those were reel change-over marks from the days of actual projectionists manning two projectors in a movie projection booth.

Before digital, movies were sent to theaters in cases of 20 minute reels. More recently, the theater will wind the film on continuous platters, splicing the reels together so the projector can run mostly unaided. Before the platter, the projectionist would feed the film in one projector and start the film. While that reel was playing, he'd feed a second projector with the second reel and wait for the end of the first one. The tell was the change-over marks (sometimes called "cigarette burns", but had other names too). One set of marks would flash on-screen, to let the projectionist know it's coming, then a few seconds later the next set of marks. That's when the projectionist switches the projectors. The best ones made it seamless. While the second reel/projector is running, he re-winds the first reel, sets up the third reel, then waits for the next change-over. Rinse and repeat until the end of the movie.

Those marks also indicate that a release print was used for the telecine transfer instead of a low-contrast interpositive - which tended to be better for such video transfers, especially during that period of film to video transfers.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-26-20 08:57 PM
    If those were theatrical films, those circle marks weren't for commercials. Those were reel change-over marks from the days of actual projectionists manning two projectors in a movie projection booth.

Before digital, movies were sent to theaters in cases of 20 minute reels. More recently, the theater will wind the film on continuous platters, splicing the reels together so the projector can run mostly unaided. Before the platter, the projectionist would feed the film in one projector and start the film. While that reel was playing, he'd feed a second projector with the second reel and wait for the end of the first one. The tell was the change-over marks (sometimes called "cigarette burns", but had other names too). One set of marks would flash on-screen, to let the projectionist know it's coming, then a few seconds later the next set of marks. That's when the projectionist switches the projectors. The best ones made it seamless. While the second reel/projector is running, he re-winds the first reel, sets up the third reel, then waits for the next change-over. Rinse and repeat until the end of the movie.

Those marks also indicate that a release print was used for the telecine transfer instead of a low-contrast interpositive - which tended to be better for such video transfers, especially during that period of film to video transfers.
    Sorry on prints for theaters yes for TV no, very close friend was a WABC TV projectionist
    05-27-20 09:04 AM