Hi all,
    My Vendor name is DrunkEddyLabs

I am facing an unfair competition from other developer called nextGen (vendor ID:9573).

Let me explain what is the problem here.

I have an application titled- Motion Avatars for BBM� (BlackBerry World - Motion Avatars for BBM)
    I released this app on 22nd April 2013

nextGen has an application titled- Animated Avatars for BBM� (BlackBerry World - Animated Avatars for BBM)
    he released that app before 22nd April 2013.

Problem 1;
    He (nextGen) emailed me on 5th May 2013, asked me to remove my app from BlackBerry World, and he told me that he was in the process of filing a lawsuit, for what he called "Copying his app". I have no idea what I "infringed". Copyright? Trademark? Patent? Well, he simply said that I copied his app.

Fact 1:
    I did not copy his application at all, the fact that my app and his app share the same functionality does not mean that I copied his app. My application differs in terms of overall design, and has a totally different name with his app.

My app and his app both has the functionality to set Animated GIF as BBM Avatars, those avatars was searched and retrieved from the internet (websites that provides GIF avatars)

Problem 2:
    This is where it get nasty, and what really caused me to post here in this forum.
    My application rarely receives negative reviews, but ever since his email on 5th May, my app now constantly receives negative reviews, which are clearly intended to hurt my app sales.

At this point, you guys might think that those reviews might not be from him, but worry not, I have a few of these reviews screenshots from both my application and his application BlackBerry World page.

Those people who posted really bad reviews (by bad, I mean DEFAMATION) on my app, coincidentally posted unbelievably POSITIVE reviews on his app.

Those bad reviews really don't make any sense at all, but highly probably drives potential customers away. (See the screenshots). My sales declines 70% because of those reviews

First Screenshot is Motion Avatars (My app) Reviews, the second and third screenshot are Animated Avatars reviews (nextgen's app). I have highlighted the usernames in colors so it's easier for you guys to see.

Please notice the usernames

Question:
    1. Is releasing an app with similar functionality is prohibited in BlackBerry World? Is BlackBerry World a monopoly market?
    Riddle me this: If one developer released a Translator application, are other developers not allowed to released another Translator application???
    What about Twitter clients? Dictionaries?

My App Review Page
    Unfair and Unhealthy Competition from a Developer Called nextGen-drunk_eddy_labs_motion_avatars_review.jpg

His App Review Page
    Unfair and Unhealthy Competition from a Developer Called nextGen-next_gen_app_animated_avatars_review_1.png
    Unfair and Unhealthy Competition from a Developer Called nextGen-next_gen_app_animated_avatars_review_2.png
    05-07-13 05:21 AM
    Unbelievable...
    Sucks this is happening

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 07:00 AM
    That you both come out with the same app concept, that's fine, but if he's really doing this, that's really lame. Why could he just win by making a better app? That's called competition.

Makes me think about how elections financing and ads are built, which is equally lame.

I would right away send an email to BlackBerry concerning this, with your proof. If you have some stats from your sells or anything, numbers talk. Good luck with that.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 07:15 AM
    I would just cry if this happened to me

Hiring out services to give negative reviews and returning with positive reviews on your own app is just pain wrong! That's like those stupid SEO service calls I get all the time.

I hate this world sometimes.

Posted via CB10 with the Dev Alpha C
    05-07-13 10:16 PM
    Contact BlackBerry Developer support. Explain the situation. This is not okay.

Posted via Dec Alpha C
    05-07-13 10:19 PM
    Man I had no idea that developers face these kinds of issues!

Not cool at all!

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 10:46 AM
    In the vendor portal you can submit these ratings for review.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 10:55 AM
    definitely contact blackberry today

Sent from an ATM Machine
    05-08-13 11:02 AM
    I would just cry if this happened to me

Hiring out services to give negative reviews and returning with positive reviews on your own app is just pain wrong! That's like those stupid SEO service calls I get all the time.

I hate this world sometimes.

I know right? Why can't we all just dev for the joy of deving
    Money ruins everything. I hope BlackBerry bans nextgen.
    The story here is actually far worse than the OP reveals here, see Unfair and Unhealthy Competition from a Developer ... - Page 3 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    05-10-13 01:28 PM
    Wow, what a disaster. I really hope that threatening "dev" gets what's coming to him...
    05-10-13 02:18 PM
    wow, i hope bb10 apps can be obfuscated and thats pretty bare faced what he did. i see you feel some kind of sympathy for the guy from that blackberry forum link. if the guy was bright enough to put the app together then he's also bright enough to know that he can work just as hard as you did to make your app
    05-17-13 03:49 PM
    Just tweeted your app to 600 peeps and im going to DL then comment, hope that helps!

Glad you reached out to the CB community....says a lot about you!
    nappp likes this.
    05-17-13 03:54 PM
    I love how when somebody is being a **** and the whole community goes awesome and downloads an honest Devs app.

Sure hope everybody likes my game when I get going on it. Even if it is on android

05-17-13 06:47 PM
    Look at this win! Congratz on this!

Unfair and Unhealthy Competition from a Developer Called nextGen-img_00000081.png

nappp likes this.
    05-23-13 04:17 PM
    hey

Man, u shouldn't bother about all this lawsuit business. Besides negative reviews I wouldn't pay attention to this guy at all. And if u provide support enough information about unfair behaviour they can easily remove all crap. I heard they were going to let developers to remove some reviews by themselfs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-25-13 11:59 AM