So I tested new apps with the simulators, but there are some things that can't be tested well or things like bluetooth that are much harder test. I tested my app's on a couple of android phones which don't have carrier service and bypassed the activation screen. With andriod phones, everything works, but sms/mms and of course phone calls. Can I do the same with phones blackberry phones, I pick up say off ebay? (wipe and reload the OS as well).

I don't think I need unlock codes, since I'm not going to use them on any cell network. I just want to be able to run my app's on them. I'm looking at a least one with wifi, so I can test networking, but not sure if I'm just wasting money.

Any thoughts or advice?
    11-03-10 03:10 PM
    Hey,

I sometimes use a 9500 (storm 1 without wifi), it works (data) over usb so no sim card, and no unlocking is required.

So the short answer is that all(most?) blackberries will work fine for developing via usb connection to the PC, or WIFI.

Services like bb messenger obviously won't work.. but you can even test bes push messaging etc using MDS simulator or a real bes express.

I prefer the phones with wifi, so that you don't need to have it connected via usb.
    11-03-10 06:59 PM
    thanks. I see about picking a phone or two to test with. Forgot about bbm, thanks for the info.
    Last edited by sokar42; 11-04-10 at 09:41 AM.
    11-04-10 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD