Hi guys,

I only have any decent experience of programming and limited experience in Javascript, PHP and HTML with a tiny bit of CSS.

C++ seems way too complicated at a first glance. I'm wanting to start with Native development for BlackBerry, what language do you guys think will be the easiest for me? I'm positive I can't use C#. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    08-03-14 11:21 AM
    There's the fast way and there's the right way.

C++ is the latter.

(Programming for 35+ years now.... starting with assembler!​)
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    08-03-14 01:02 PM
    There's the fast way and there's the right way.

C++ is the latter.

(Programming for 35+ years now.... starting with assembler!​)
    So just stick with C++ and get used to it? I assume once I get the hang of it, it will become easier?
    08-03-14 01:18 PM
    So just stick with C++ and get used to it? I assume once I get the hang of it, it will become easier?
    Go through code for sample BB10 apps

Dev of AutoCrop Scanner
    08-03-14 02:01 PM
    Go through code for sample BB10 apps

Dev of AutoCrop Scanner
    The code samples aren't going to be useful if I don't understand the language, are they?
    08-03-14 02:05 PM
    The code samples aren't going to be useful if I don't understand the language, are they?
    If you do Cascades you can try to avoid C++ as much as you can; do the UI in QML and the logic in JavaScript.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 02:08 PM
    If you do Cascades you can try to avoid C++ as much as you can; do the UI in QML and the logic in JavaScript.

Posted via CB10
    How hard is it combine JavaScript and QML? I don't know how to do that and I don't know what QML. Would this still be considered Native and not rely on the Android Runtime?
    08-03-14 02:28 PM
    How hard is it combine JavaScript and QML? I don't know how to do that and I don't know what QML. Would this still be considered Native and not rely on the Android Runtime?
    It's very much native.

As for QML, it's the JavaScript-based GUI language for a Qt/Cascades app. Pretty simple, and you can stick a JavaScript function into an element's action (onClicked for a Button, for example): http://developer.blackberry.com/nati...ossfade_2.html

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 02:33 PM
    You will have to learn using the BB dev website. Just google C++ tutorial and read through it. Cplusplus.com is very good for learning. It would be 80% same as javascript

Dev of AutoCrop Scanner
    08-03-14 02:37 PM
    It's very much native.

As for QML, it's the JavaScript-based GUI language for a Qt/Cascades app. Pretty simple, and you can stick a JavaScript function into an element's action (onClicked for a Button, for example): http://developer.blackberry.com/nati...ossfade_2.html

Posted via CB10
    Thank you, your help is very useful. And the link is greatly appreciated. I will consider this seriously since I once downloaded an E-Book on this. I just never got round to reading it and I just forgot about it

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 03:03 PM
    You will have to learn using the BB dev website. Just google C++ tutorial and read through it. Cplusplus.com is very good for learning. It would be 80% same as javascript

Dev of AutoCrop Scanner
    Thank for the help too, but I might go with Cascades instead. Depends on which I find easier. I will look at the link to compare however. Thank you again

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 03:04 PM
    Yep feel so out of place here...lol
    Just started learning about python and scratched the surface of objective-c

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 12:14 AM
    Bookmark

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    08-13-14 12:58 AM
    Hi guys! I'm a hobby developer and almost finished my first little native app. It works fine in the simulator and now I want to test it on my device. I've seen the code signing form on developer.blackberry.com but what should I fill into the field "Company"? I have no company, I'm a private person. Is this field very important? Where does the entry appear? Later in BlackBerry World under the app title?

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 03:07 AM