I posted this message on this board a few days ago, and for some reason a moderator moved it to the Theme Development Forum, which didn't fit at all. The guys over there told me to ask it here, so I will try again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

We have developed a web application that is designed for mobile devices. It runs fast on every browser except the BlackBerry native browser (OS 4.7 and OS 5.0). The pages load in seconds on the iPhone and even the BlackBerry (same device) running Opera Mini.

With the BlackBerry web browser, a page that takes 2-4 seconds in Opera Mini is taking anywhere from 1 - 2.5 MINUTES.

It seems to me that the actual data and page are being loaded rather quickly. However, when I enter the web address, the BB browser sits and and says "Requesting..." for most of the time, then when it actually gets to "Loading data..." it only takes a few seconds.

Any suggestions at all? We are pulling our hair out and have removed everything that we feel could possible cause performance issues (java scripting, css, etc.).

Thanks for any help...

Phillip
    11-13-09 02:50 PM
    Not sure if it helps, but you should know that JavaScript is disabled by default for the native BB browser. When you removed the javascript etc did the page load faster?
    11-13-09 03:52 PM
    Thanks for the response. With Javascript gone, the "loading data..." part is a little quicker, but the part where it sticks on "Requesting..." is PAINFULLY slow.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    11-13-09 04:20 PM
    I'm grasping at straws here, but since the BB is unique in the way traffic is routed through their data centers, I wonder if the problem is not outside of the actual device. I'd suggest trying the WAP browser, and if it is like Opera Mini then you may have a issue between their data centers and your page.
    11-13-09 06:06 PM
    I'm running into the same problem. I disconnected JS,CSS and it was still slow. I went back and removed the Class attributes from my HTML and it sped up in a big way. Now I'm looking for a way to get these styles back. Did you ever find a solution?
    11-23-09 10:28 AM
    We did finally find a solution to our problem. We were using the Oracle APEX product to develop our site. We were using the option to use APEX as the web server, so everything was in the Oracle database. Oracle allows you to split the web server side out to a "regular" web server and just use Oracle for data storage and retrieval. Once we put in an Apache web server, and then attached that to the Oracle APEX piece, it speed up, literally, by 20 times.

Now the big question is why? We never figured out why. It was only slow on the native BlackBerry browser. The iPhone, Windows Mobile, and Opera Mini browsers worked fine with the first implementation using just APEX.

BlackBerry is unique in that all web traffic goes through their proxy servers. There must have been something in there that the RIM servers did not like. You would think it just wouldn't work and give an error message, but it did work - just VERY slowly.

We went down a lot of rat holes trying to fix this, and in the end don't really know why, other than something in the code Oracle APEX generates was not liked by the RIM proxy servers.

Hope there is something in here that helps you out.
    11-23-09 06:03 PM
    mm...useful info
    11-24-09 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD