I'm developing a microsite for mobile users and am trying to include video for the users to download and watch. When I link to them on the site the phone either crashes or opens the media app and begins loading the file before telling me it is incompatible with the device.

I've tried MPEG4, h264, 3gps and even flvs - and all have failed. Dimensions are 320x240, with low frame rates. I'm trying to use progressive downloading rather than streaming.

What am I missing? How should I be encoding these videos so that the user can just click and watch?

Thanks!

PS - I'm testing on a Blackberry Storm and a 8830 World Edition.
    09-30-09 02:18 PM
    I see msnbc serves video to Blackberry users, I downloaded one of those videos (a 3gp) and emailed it to myself. When I uploaded and linked to it on my own server all I get is a bunch of garbled characters. Seems like I'm just missing something simple...
    10-01-09 12:16 PM
    Ok, got it. I was trying to link directly to the media file instead of a .php file with the header information. I created a file like this:

<?php
    $path_to_content = "video/video_name.3gp";
    header("Content-Type: video/3gpp");
    header("Content-Length: ".filesize($path_to_content));
    readfile($path_to_content);
    ?>

and then linked to it like this:
    <a href="header.php/123456abc/video_name.3gp">

Solution was found here: mobiforge.com/developing/story/content-delivery-mobile-devices

Cheers!
    10-01-09 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD