I've tried this on multiple computers and gotten the same problem. When I install VMWare and a simulator (either the Development Alpha or the PlayBook), then when I try to run the simulator it pops up the error message 'Could not get vmx86 driver version: The handle is invalid. You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys". Try reinstalling VMware Player. Failed to initialize monitor device. '

While I couldn't find the minimum system requirements for VMWare, all computers I used were highly spec'd enough that I doubt that's the problem (also they exceed all of the system requirements for the simulators themselves). I have tried rebooting, reinstalling, deleting the problem driver and reinstalling, and shouting at the computer, but nothing has worked so far. I am a beginner developer, so it may be something obvious I missed, but please help me out!
    05-21-12 10:54 AM
    what OS are you using (windows/mac/linux) and what version(32/64 bit)
    05-22-12 11:35 AM
    I'm using 64-bit Windows 7.
    05-22-12 11:36 AM
    Was that the first time the you installed vmware or did you have a previous version installed, because if it was uninstall it might have not removed the vmx86.sys file
    05-22-12 11:44 AM
    This was the only version I'd ever installed. It's the most recent one though (I think)
    05-22-12 11:45 AM
    I finally managed to fix it! All I had to do was run the program as administrator (having to select that through right-click). Yay! Now I can start in on some actual developing!
    05-22-12 12:44 PM
    when you tried it on different computers was it from the same install file that you downloaded
    05-22-12 12:51 PM
    when you tried it on different computers was it from the same install file that you downloaded
    File downloaded from the same place, but I downloaded it individually on each computer.
    05-22-12 01:50 PM
    the other thing I could think of right now could be the file you were downloading if something is wrong with the vmware site. i have had that before were the file i was downloading would not install correctly.
    05-22-12 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD