Hey Everyone,

I'm working with a partner in one of my classes in an "Independent Study" course. I chose to try to write a blackberry app for our independent study, and my professors and I (along with my partner) have gotten along OK, but we've hit a snag that none of us are able to figure out (instructors as well, and they're great java programmers, but not familiar with the BB APIs).

Anyway, our program is pretty much all done, but I'd really like to STOP the application switcher from popping up when someone holds down the blackberry button. The application is being developer for a Storm. It's a locking application, so obviously, users opening up the application switcher is undesirable, since it could bypass the entire app/lock!

This isn't a huge project, it's not going to go up for sale or anything like that (trust me, it's so ugly that nobody would buy it!), and my professors have worked with me on it for 10 weeks so far, and this is the only problem that's left that we haven't figured out yet. Even they encouraged me to hop on here and ask for help

I know it's possible, because I've paid money for GREAT apps that had this feature, and I'm hoping someone can help us do it, and do so quickly, as our deadline is now!

I kept pushing it off thinking I'd find it eventually, and I kept working on other stuff - well, now there's nothing left to work on, and I can't figure out how to stop the BB button from launching the app switcher, so now is definitely the time to ask from your more experienced/better BB app developers!

One other thing I should note is that I don't care if I have to used signed API's, because while I'm not going to pay for the keys to have it run on an actual device, if we get the theory of it down and have it running on a simulator, we'll all be satisfied.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

-Auggie

Thanks a lot, here is the code I've got so far - I have no hesitation posting it, since it won't be going up for sale or anything
    11-21-09 06:26 PM
    I am not familiar with a function to supress the application switcher

�ou may be able to, though

Go check over on the blackberry.com developer boards, those guys are pretty hard core

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-09 12:39 PM
    what you can do is have a listener and if the user presses the ESC key then dont allow the system to handle it.
    11-22-09 11:49 PM
    Thanks for the input! I did ask at the Blackberry developer forum also, didn't get anything yet.

Smiley - I do have the "escape" key handled right now, so if the user presses the escape key (backward arrow button), nothing happens. But, if the user holds down the BB Button for a while, the app switcher will pop up and allow the user to select a different app to switch to, which effectively bypasses the entire locking mechanism in theory. THAT's the problem I'm having Any idea how to override the BB button being held down?

Thanks!!
    11-23-09 12:50 AM
    Thanks for the input! I did ask at the Blackberry developer forum also, didn't get anything yet.

Smiley - I do have the "escape" key handled right now, so if the user presses the escape key (backward arrow button), nothing happens. But, if the user holds down the BB Button for a while, the app switcher will pop up and allow the user to select a different app to switch to, which effectively bypasses the entire locking mechanism in theory. THAT's the problem I'm having Any idea how to override the BB button being held down?

Thanks!!
    when the ribbon is showing are you able to select the app and launch it?
    11-24-09 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD