Im putting together a webworks/html5 manual and I was wondering what ppl are interested in learning. This is for NEW NEW NEW developers, ie. fresh meat that have never made a website before. Chime in let me know =)
    04-23-12 10:55 PM
    EVERYTHING!

Actually I would like to know how to make apps.
    What do I need to learn? What programming languages, services or software.
    PLEASE... When ya get the manual done...call me.
    I am very fresh at this. NO experiance
    James Nieves likes this.
    04-24-12 10:08 AM
    EVERYTHING!

Actually I would like to know how to make apps.
    What do I need to learn? What programming languages, services or software.
    PLEASE... When ya get the manual done...call me.
    I am very fresh at this. NO experiance
    have you made a website before?
    04-24-12 04:54 PM
    have you made a website before?
    Yes I have
    Only HTML though. No css or anything like that
    James Nieves likes this.
    04-25-12 08:26 PM
    Im putting together a webworks/html5 manual and I was wondering what ppl are interested in learning. This is for NEW NEW NEW developers, ie. fresh meat that have never made a website before. Chime in let me know =)
    I know this is a little after the origional offer but if it's still an open option or anyone can direct me to this type of information I would be appreciative.
    04-26-12 06:08 PM
    I would want to learn HTML5. Only HTML I ever wrote was for the Get at app world logos.
    04-26-12 09:43 PM
    Hi, I really want to know how to do this. I have an idea for several cool apps (for which I even won a PB from crackberry for). I have been searching online but I kind of tire from going site to site that don't really tell me a lot. I ha e downloaded I think everything I need for html5 for BB & PB. I don't want to limit myself though. I don't know what the differences are between the methods (native, css, java), but I'd like to learn.

Thanks
    04-27-12 01:31 PM
    This is what you need to get started.

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/api

IF you want my manual you'll have keep buckled as it is in being in process of being written up!
    04-27-12 08:52 PM
    I've been trying to understand the BlackBerry development side of things for a while.

I want to make a simple HTML site that can be used by all and any devices (desktops, mobiles, everything). I would code it so the layout was flexible to ensure every screen size could view it.

I'm not looking to make a native BB app or a mobile-only site.

I also want to support various features on a Blackberry, especially grabbing and storing a user's BB PIN when they log in.

Can you clarify my understand of these with a few questions?

Thanks in advance.

(1) Is the HTML 5 WebWorks thing HTML 5 code along with JavaScript that is then packaged somehow into an actual app (that sits on a BB device). Does that mean that the features of collecting info on the BB device can only be used in the app to the end user?

(2) Can I grab the BB PIN on a standard HTML site that may be ran in a web browser (obviously not if I'm using a desktop PC's web browser, but the code would be in place for whenever a BlackBerry was used so it could grab it then)?

(3) So what does WebWorks mean, is it really "A way of coding in good old fashioned HTML and JavaScript so we can then turn it into a native app for you". Is that what it really means?

So basically I just need to grab the BB PIN in a HTML application. Is this possible without a native app?
    04-28-12 01:22 AM
    I've been trying to understand the BlackBerry development side of things for a while.

I want to make a simple HTML site that can be used by all and any devices (desktops, mobiles, everything). I would code it so the layout was flexible to ensure every screen size could view it.

I'm not looking to make a native BB app or a mobile-only site.

I also want to support various features on a Blackberry, especially grabbing and storing a user's BB PIN when they log in.

Can you clarify my understand of these with a few questions?

Thanks in advance.

(1) Is the HTML 5 WebWorks thing HTML 5 code along with JavaScript that is then packaged somehow into an actual app (that sits on a BB device). Does that mean that the features of collecting info on the BB device can only be used in the app to the end user?

(2) Can I grab the BB PIN on a standard HTML site that may be ran in a web browser (obviously not if I'm using a desktop PC's web browser, but the code would be in place for whenever a BlackBerry was used so it could grab it then)?

(3) So what does WebWorks mean, is it really "A way of coding in good old fashioned HTML and JavaScript so we can then turn it into a native app for you". Is that what it really means?

So basically I just need to grab the BB PIN in a HTML application. Is this possible without a native app?
    Yes it is possible to grab pins (but I dont know how to do it gotta read up on api)
    Yes Webworks is basically a webpage in an 'app window' So think of it is an browser that only opens 1 webpage see any of my apps for a sample.
    Last edited by ignites; 04-28-12 at 12:18 PM.
    04-28-12 12:14 PM
    I can't find any JavaScript advice anywhere.

I do see this:
    https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/....identity.html

...but I'm pretty certain that the JavaScript must be used inside the app you were talking about.

I can't find anything where you could use JS in a standard web page.

If anyone knows for certain that it can;t be done then please tell me so I can stop looking.

Thanks for any help.
    04-28-12 03:28 PM

I do see this:

...but I'm pretty certain that the JavaScript must be used inside the app you were talking about.

If anyone knows for certain that it can;t be done then please tell me so I can stop looking.

Thanks for any help.
    I might be misunderstanding your question, but yes, Javascript is certainly used in web pages, and in fact that's what it was originally created for. Google "javascript tutorial" to find a wealth of info.
    04-28-12 04:09 PM

I do see this:

Thanks for any help.
    Maybe i'm say too much, but if you dont get javascript and you're trying to grab pin your biting something a bit bigger than you can handle at this moment. W3schools.com is a great tool/resource for learning.
    04-28-12 04:25 PM
    Hi,

My issues isn't understanding JavaScript but as to if BlackBerry allow a PIN to be grabbed using JavaScript in a web page.

My understand is that https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/....identity.html won;t work by dropping it into a web page and running say through the BlackBerry web browser. I believe you create the WebWorks code (using JavaScript as more people understand that than Java) and then have it packaged into a native java-ran BlackBerry app. I don;t think dropping the code in a web page will work.

That said I haven't tried it and the reason for this is I don't have a BlackBerry device.

So, I have created a web page using what I believe the code should be. Can someone view the web page and tell me what appears (on a BlackBerry), Also, the BB OS version would help.

I'm almost certain you'll get a JavaScript error (although you won;t see this on a BB as they don't output JS errors) as you can't grab pins in this way.

BB Test

Thanks.
    04-28-12 04:49 PM
    Hi,

My issues isn't understanding JavaScript but as to if BlackBerry allow a PIN to be grabbed using JavaScript in a web page.

My understand is that https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/....identity.html won;t work by dropping it into a web page and running say through the BlackBerry web browser. I believe you create the WebWorks code (using JavaScript as more people understand that than Java) and then have it packaged into a native java-ran BlackBerry app. I don;t think dropping the code in a web page will work.

That said I haven't tried it and the reason for this is I don't have a BlackBerry device.

So, I have created a web page using what I believe the code should be. Can someone view the web page and tell me what appears (on a BlackBerry), Also, the BB OS version would help.

I'm almost certain you'll get a JavaScript error (although you won;t see this on a BB as they don't output JS errors) as you can't grab pins in this way.

BB Test

Thanks.
    No dropping javascript into a webpage published as an webapp WILL work thats the point of webworks publishing.
    04-28-12 05:01 PM
    ignites, can you be more clear with what you are saying?

Which of these do you mean? Please answer 1 or 2.

(1) You can drop the JavaScript examples into WebWorks and it will be converted into a BlackBerry app - BUT you CAN'T use the JavaScript examples in a web browser.

OR

(2) You can use the JavaScript examples either in a web browser or in WebWorks.
    04-28-12 05:12 PM
    it should work only in webworks apps AND ripple simulator as it requires the permissions settings in the config files to access personal information (pin)
    04-28-12 08:19 PM
    Okay so I tried the "Make your website into an App in 3 mins" method on the DeviantArt website and it worked...until I tried to log onto DA. Have no idea what to do from there. I'm completely new to this, I've created a website before using Dreamweaver if that helps (it was 2 or 3 years ago though). I can upload my index.html and config.xml files if that will help. They're really just the API with an extra bit of coding I tried to use from the video.
    04-30-12 01:10 AM
    This is what you need to get started.

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/api

IF you want my manual you'll have keep buckled as it is in being in process of being written up!
    Great thanks alot. Could you send me a message when your manual is do too? Please and thanks.
    05-03-12 03:01 PM
    Hi,

BB Test

Thanks.
    I asked a RIM employee about webpages accessing the device apis and he said that it will access them when it is run through the browser.
    05-04-12 02:25 PM
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSS PLEASE PLEASE. If it's useful set up a paypal!
    your time in making a manual will be much appreciated!
    05-04-12 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD