I am wondering how hard it is to create an app that links to a specific website? Like the ESPN app or other news site app? I just want to create an icon that when clicked will take you to the particular site. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    11-07-08 05:26 PM
    You need to use the protected net.rim.blackberry.api.browser class; it should be easy to go from there.
    11-11-08 02:56 AM
    I am wondering how hard it is to create an app that links to a specific website? Like the ESPN app or other news site app? I just want to create an icon that when clicked will take you to the particular site. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    How hard it is to do anything is a relative question, and depends on your knowledge, skill, and access to the required resources.

If you are a developer, it is a very easy application. If you have never written a Java app, much less developed for the BB API, it's going to be very difficult for you.
    11-11-08 08:38 PM
    I have never created anything with Java but I am willing to learn.
    I also want to create a launcher for my site and would like to know what do I need to download in order to get myself going.
    Could someone list like list of programs necessary for such a task.
    11-13-08 10:04 AM
    I have never created anything with Java but I am willing to learn.
    I also want to create a launcher for my site and would like to know what do I need to download in order to get myself going.
    Could someone list like list of programs necessary for such a task.
    For Blackberry development info go here:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Developer Zone

However, before you can even hope to get anything out of the above site, you must know how to program in Java, so I would first suggest getting yourself "Head First Java", and work through that book completely before you even attempt to look at the above site, or you will be wasting your time.

Be prepared to take a year (or more) to learn this stuff.

Good luck
    11-13-08 11:38 AM
    Wow..so java is that complicated.
    I need to hit reading then....Thanks for reply. I will give it a shot to see how crazy I will go about it.
    11-17-08 03:09 PM
    Wow..so java is that complicated.
    What were you expecting? I mean this is why programmers make $100-$200 per hour, and have a little thing called a college degree with 4 years or more of study.

I need to hit reading then....Thanks for reply. I will give it a shot to see how crazy I will go about it.
    You can teach yourself if you are reasonably intelligent, read, and learn how to ask intelligent questions on appropriate forums. But don't expect someone to do your homework for you.

Yeap, contrary to popular belief, if you want to write a Java program, you'll have to actually learn object oriented java programming first.

I actually would recommend if you are a total beginner and on a windows system then learn C# first, again with the Head First series. You can learn programming much easier on that windows system, and then Java is a minor transition.
    11-17-08 10:03 PM
    What were you expecting? I mean this is why programmers make $100-$200 per hour, and have a little thing called a college degree with 4 years or more of study.
    Hmmm let me see, I was getting paid to make Delphi apps before I was even out of highschool, college/university was only helpful for me so much as to get me mixing with others of similar skill sets, and broadening my horizons. The only thing to my name is a typing certificate mum thought would be useful to me later in life that was just as useless as every other bit of paper out there you can get.

You might be able to learn to program, but like most other things in life some people are born gifted as well, those aren't through no fault of their own do mediocre code at best, but hey someone has to do the lacky stuff

I think you'll find the google guys plus billg were uni drop outs.

I actually would recommend if you are a total beginner and on a windows system then learn C# first, again with the Head First series. You can learn programming much easier on that windows system, and then Java is a minor transition.
    For what it's worth most programming languages all have similar concepts in an abstract sense, such as memory management, network and file system connectivity etc, applying these concepts to specific languages can be a bit of a learning curve, but learning these concepts can be an invaluble skill for anyone that wants to program.
    11-18-08 01:07 AM
    The API you need to use to do that is one that requires signing, which costs money to get from RIM. If I were in your situation, because of the signing aspect alone, it would be easier and possibly cheaper to pay someone than to try and do this yourself.

At a guess, I haven't tested etc the code, you'd need something like:

Code:
    import net.rim.device.api.ui.UiApplication;
    import net.rim.blackberry.api.browser.*;

class ShowURI extends UiApplication
    {
        public static void main(String[] args)
        {
            Browser.getDefaultSession().displayPage("http://gpsavenger.sf.net");
        }
    }
    11-18-08 06:58 AM
    Hmmm let me see, I was getting paid to make Delphi apps before I was even out of highschool, college/university was only helpful for me so much as to get me mixing with others of similar skill sets, and broadening my horizons.
    You certainly didn't learn write.

The only thing to my name is a typing certificate mum thought would be useful to me later in life that was just as useless as every other bit of paper out there you can get.
    What degree did you actually earn (if any)? What was your GPA? I suspect it was worthless to you for other reasons, like you aren't in that field perhaps?

You might be able to learn to program, but like most other things in life some people are born gifted as well, those aren't through no fault of their own do mediocre code at best, but hey someone has to do the lacky stuff

I think you'll find the google guys plus billg were uni drop outs.
    So, since a degree isn't necessary, and you are so talented, why aren't you another Google? Best get that degree or your income will forever be limited. College grads on average make over $1,000,000 more than a high school graduate.

A degree not only prepares you with knowledge in the field, it proves you can learn, and teaches you other skills like reading and writing that are required to be successful in any field. Unless you have a degree (or two), no real company is going to even bother looking at you unless you happen to have recently released some really cool new profitable software. But then, you wouldn't need a job would you?

To be honest, if you ask any business owner, they'll tell you that a mere Bachelor's degree is almost like a HS Diploma was years ago. If you don't have one, then you likely don't have basic skills necessary for the average white-collar job.

So, if you want to make $80-$100K out of the gate, get that diploma!
    11-18-08 12:11 PM
    You certainly didn't learn write.
    ummm huh?

What degree did you actually earn (if any)? What was your GPA? I suspect it was worthless to you for other reasons, like you aren't in that field perhaps?
    In case the 'mum' reference was over looked I'm not american. Also this is where things tend to turn a bit antagonistic since you only seem to exhibit opinions that count of those in the US, rather than what happens in the rest of the world. Most people I know that go through uni and other similar things for computing I wouldn't hire they need too much baby sitting and re-training after to make them think for themselves.

So, since a degree isn't necessary, and you are so talented, why aren't you another Google?
    It seems that in your opinion just because I'm not working for google that some how makes me less talented or less in demand... Interesting take I suppose... Although considering how anti-google I tend to be, they wouldn't be able to justify the amount of money I'd want to work there.

Best get that degree or your income will forever be limited. College grads on average make over $1,000,000 more than a high school graduate.
    How many college grads end up driving taxis? Book smarts often don't equate to real world usefulness for businesses. It's taken me a long time to realise how lied to the whole Uni marketing thing everyone seems to be, so you don't go to uni, big deal, not the end of the world, or the worst you could do.

A degree not only prepares you with knowledge in the field, it proves you can learn, and teaches you other skills like reading and writing that are required to be successful in any field.
    Maybe other nations schooling systems already teach people to read and write before they get to college? Although you've repeated the often quoted lines I see universities trying to sell. If everyone ends up with a degree then how will that be an advantage exactly? Numerous countries are already facing shortages of manual labour skills because more people are going to university and as a result the pay in those trades is going up quite high due to increasing demand.

Universities are supposed to be a place of higher learning, not some mass degree factories, the whole thing is a joke if you ask me, and most grads aren't worth employing.

Unless you have a degree (or two), no real company is going to even bother looking at you unless you happen to have recently released some really cool new profitable software. But then, you wouldn't need a job would you?
    Ok so a plumber with no degree is a worthless ?

I can see your views are very american, college/university in the US is largely pre-adult baby sitting before they go out in the real world, as per my last post, some very successful people are uni drop outs, I think I read recently most top CEOs are uni drop outs, where as the 2nd in commands have degrees, kinda ironic really

Thankfully a lot of other countries are more pragmatic about the whole thing.

To be honest, if you ask any business owner, they'll tell you that a mere Bachelor's degree is almost like a HS Diploma was years ago. If you don't have one, then you likely don't have basic skills necessary for the average white-collar job.
    How many business owners do you want me to get that I know kust off the top of my head that would refute that?

So, if you want to make $80-$100K out of the gate, get that diploma!
    or you could just as easily end up driving a taxi because of lack of jobs and too many people with degrees.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 11-18-08 at 11:54 PM.
    11-18-08 11:51 PM
    Sorry but I have to agree with Delta Foxtrot2 on this one.
    I know many people here in the states that have degrees and CANNOT even get a job in the field that they studied in.
    A very good friend of mine has 5 degrees and a phD and you know what he does for a living? Drives a truck..... because he cannot get work in ANY of the fields that he has degrees in.

One other thing I don't know of ANY programmer that makes $80 -$100k a year starting out. We have people here where I work that have been engineers for 20+ years that don't make that kind of money (and they design some of the top oilfield bits in the industry)
    Also I work a "white collar job" and I don't have a degree, and I spent 26 years running my own business as a truck driver (owned my first truck (bought and paid for) when I was 19 (now 50))
    I know a lot of people who do programming that have NEVER set foot in a classroom for it, they just have a knack for it and the mental fortitude to take on new challenges.
    My g/f is the senior manager in charge of Engineering Systems worldwide for our company and she started out as a board drafter without completing ANY school. Up until last year she took care of over 4000 machines and servers worldwide by herself. SO NO a college degree is NOT always necessary to get a good job in any industry.
    11-25-08 10:39 AM
    A very good friend of mine has 5 degrees and a phD and you know what he does for a living? Drives a truck..... because he cannot get work in ANY of the fields that he has degrees in.
    I've only worked in the computer industry for about 10 years give or take, but first boss, no degree, second boss, degree in education, third boss degree in history, next boss, no degree, next boss degree in biology. Ummm anyone seeing a pattern here?

One other thing I don't know of ANY programmer that makes $80 -$100k a year starting out.
    I love the ads the universities do pushing those lines, I am in awe of their marketing departments and how they don't get slapped silly for false advertising, truly superb work on their parts, or maybe everyone is just brain washed into not questioning their figures since kids are brainwashed into higher education from the first day they set foot into school.

My g/f is the senior manager in charge of Engineering Systems worldwide for our company and she started out as a board drafter without completing ANY school. Up until last year she took care of over 4000 machines and servers worldwide by herself. SO NO a college degree is NOT always necessary to get a good job in any industry.
    what a busy gal she must be
    11-25-08 10:10 PM
    I too have a degree and can't find a job.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 10:25 PM
    I thought this was kinda ironic since I raised the same issue...

jammag writes "Bjarne Stroustrup, creator of C++ and a professor at Texas A&M, weighs in on the problems in today's CS programs. In particular, Java (there's too much of it), the quality of graduates (companies aren't happy), and the need to balance the theoretical and the practical (long overdue). Not pulling punches, Stroustrup even talks about high schools — 'High schools could teach students to work hard at something (just about anything), to search out information as needed, and learn to express their ideas in writing and orally.' He finishes by giving advice to working developers: 'Serious programming is a team sport, brush up on your social skills. The sloppy fat geek computer genius semi-buried in a pile of pizza boxes and cola cans is a mythical creature, best buried deep, never to be seen again.'" Read on for more choice quotes from the quotable professor.
    Slashdot | Bjarne Stroustrup On Educating Software Developers
    12-11-08 02:42 AM
    well..

even though this may not be in programming its close enough once again this isn't meant to brag so please do not assume thats what I am doing..

I grew up as a computer nut self taught myself everything over the course of about 12 years before I hit college..

I went to a technical school for a 2 year degree because I couldn't get anyone to read my resume..

During that 2 year period in that class we had many people of all different levels everyone took the same courses so we were pretty much a team.. me and I would say 5-6 other students barely opened a book the entire 2 years..

I graduated with a 3.6

once I hit a job in the real market.. (was aiming for network administration)

most of the things that were done in school were useless.. they taught a ton of basic networking things and some very experienced networking things.. however once you hit a company everything changed it wasn't close to what was in school the network was based around that company. I worked and learned way the heck more in real world situation's than the school could ever teach.

and what applied most you ask?

the previous 12 years of tinkering growing up.
    12-11-08 04:24 AM

most of the things that were done in school were useless.. they taught a ton of basic networking things and some very experienced networking things.. however once you hit a company everything changed it wasn't close to what was in school the network was based around that company. I worked and learned way the heck more in real world situation's than the school could ever teach.
    After 2 yrs of uni and doing well, but frustrated for other reasons, why should I get less marks because I helped someone else with the problem and they fixed my spelling mistake in the comment and didn't bother to tell/help me back?

The first full time job I had I thought what have I gotten myself into, I'm a smart person I know a lot about computers, but no uni course and no amount of self tinkering ever prepared me for what I had gotten myself into, yet I some how managed to swim rather than sink and I was all the better for it.

The funny thing was I came across many others that lied no end on their resumes and maybe they were smarter than me for knowing when to call it quits

Yup, I think you hit the nail on the head here, there isn't any replacement for actual problem solving experience you had to do yourself, and if only the problems occurring in text books were also to occur in real life

"Those who can't teach, those who can't teach consult"
    12-11-08 03:57 PM
    even though this may not be in programming its close enough once again this isn't meant to brag so please do not assume thats what I am doing..
    In case it means something to you, you do not come across as bragging.

I grew up as a computer nut self taught myself everything over the course of about 12 years before I hit college..

I went to a technical school for a 2 year degree because I couldn't get anyone to read my resume..
    Exactly my point earlier. Glad you realized this soon enough to get your start.

During that 2 year period in that class we had many people of all different levels everyone took the same courses so we were pretty much a team.. me and I would say 5-6 other students barely opened a book the entire 2 years..

I graduated with a 3.6
    Now I want you to know that I share the following to hopefully make you think a bit, and perhaps realize something new. Sometimes, getting outside of the way we think can be difficult, so before you knock what I'm telling you out of hard won experience, and many years of clinical practice, think about it. Remember, I'm NOT saying this to be mean or down you, only to get you to think a bit.

Ask yourself (honestly) what does "I barely opened a book" REALLY say to others:

a) The training I got was worthless because it was too easy.
    b) It cost money, but I really didn't try to get much out of it.
    c) I'm way to smart to learn anything in school. (ie I think I'm smarter than I am)
    d) All of the above

As you will see below, your "not opening a book", is very telling, and important.

As a bit of background, let me tell you that when I went to get my Ph.D., at $660/hour, I ran into many "students" like you (again no offense). They were the ones that called me to ask what the **** to do with their patients, because they didn't have a clue. Now, you had a bit of hard-earned self-taught knowledge, unlike them, but their behavior (and yours) doesn't make any sense at all. If you are going to pay for the education, but then deny yourself that education (by not studying, and putting in your all), then why are you surprised that you failed to get anything out of it???? Take this to heart... "To know is to do". Our values (character) are betrayed by our actions.

First, school is like your Black belt... it means you are now a "shodan" which literally means "Beginning rank". Even had you studied, and got the best 4 year degree money could buy, you would find the above to be largely true. On the other hand, you really can't blame the education for being useless when you failed to really apply yourself and study, right? If you failed to open books, and truly apply yourself, you robbed yourself of knowledge, and you will never know what it is you may have learned. Worse, you stole this from yourself due to your attitude and ego. I only point this out for you to consider when you go back to school later - apply yourself, and you may be surprised what you learn. Just as on the job, much of what you learn in school will come from unexpected places and experiences.

That will always be valuable to you, but will never be measurable or valuable to a potential employer (as you found out). Your school may even turn out to be more valuable than you originally experience, only time will tell.

Clearly, you are a person that can learn on their own, and in IT this IS very valuable. If you continue to teach yourself, it will show in the increasing responsibility you earn in your job, and WILL be transferable as you step to your next position in another company when the time comes.

Just remember that "showing up" at school is not enough, you must apply yourself, or you are wasting your time - you will learn nothing. It's not like HS where you are spoon feed. The true value of the experience is entirely up to you.

Someone who slacks (whatever your GPA), should not be surprised that the experience is worthless to them. Further, a degree is not a guarantee of success either. You might be psycho, and not be able to hold a job. You also might have got a degree in something where there frankly isn't a lot opportunity outside of teaching. What I'm getting at is that the example of this person or that who has not been successful despite their degree is not evidence (coincidence is not causality) that a degree is worthless.

Nor is all this to say that you can't be successful without one, just that the odds are much more in your favor. Studies show just how much more money graduates make over the course of their lifetime.

Finally, some 2-year technical college is NOT an experience you should judge getting a true 4-year degree. This is not to say that they are not great for someone who needs something quick to get them started!

Given your drive to learn, and curiosity you will probably be successful at what you choose to do, especially because you will never stop learning.

Good luck.
    12-11-08 09:29 PM
    In case it means something to you, you do not come across as bragging.

Exactly my point earlier. Glad you realized this soon enough to get your start.

Now I want you to know that I share the following to hopefully make you think a bit, and perhaps realize something new. Sometimes, getting outside of the way we think can be difficult, so before you knock what I'm telling you out of hard won experience, and many years of clinical practice, think about it. Remember, I'm NOT saying this to be mean or down you, only to get you to think a bit.

Ask yourself (honestly) what does "I barely opened a book" REALLY say to others:

a) The training I got was worthless because it was too easy.
    b) It cost money, but I really didn't try to get much out of it.
    c) I'm way to smart to learn anything in school. (ie I think I'm smarter than I am)
    d) All of the above

As you will see below, your "not opening a book", is very telling, and important.

As a bit of background, let me tell you that when I went to get my Ph.D., at $660/hour, I ran into many "students" like you (again no offense). They were the ones that called me to ask what the **** to do with their patients, because they didn't have a clue. Now, you had a bit of hard-earned self-taught knowledge, unlike them, but their behavior (and yours) doesn't make any sense at all. If you are going to pay for the education, but then deny yourself that education (by not studying, and putting in your all), then why are you surprised that you failed to get anything out of it???? Take this to heart... "To know is to do". Our values (character) are betrayed by our actions.

First, school is like your Black belt... it means you are now a "shodan" which literally means "Beginning rank". Even had you studied, and got the best 4 year degree money could buy, you would find the above to be largely true. On the other hand, you really can't blame the education for being useless when you failed to really apply yourself and study, right? If you failed to open books, and truly apply yourself, you robbed yourself of knowledge, and you will never know what it is you may have learned. Worse, you stole this from yourself due to your attitude and ego. I only point this out for you to consider when you go back to school later - apply yourself, and you may be surprised what you learn. Just as on the job, much of what you learn in school will come from unexpected places and experiences.

That will always be valuable to you, but will never be measurable or valuable to a potential employer (as you found out). Your school may even turn out to be more valuable than you originally experience, only time will tell.

Clearly, you are a person that can learn on their own, and in IT this IS very valuable. If you continue to teach yourself, it will show in the increasing responsibility you earn in your job, and WILL be transferable as you step to your next position in another company when the time comes.

Just remember that "showing up" at school is not enough, you must apply yourself, or you are wasting your time - you will learn nothing. It's not like HS where you are spoon feed. The true value of the experience is entirely up to you.

Someone who slacks (whatever your GPA), should not be surprised that the experience is worthless to them. Further, a degree is not a guarantee of success either. You might be psycho, and not be able to hold a job. You also might have got a degree in something where there frankly isn't a lot opportunity outside of teaching. What I'm getting at is that the example of this person or that who has not been successful despite their degree is not evidence (coincidence is not causality) that a degree is worthless.

Nor is all this to say that you can't be successful without one, just that the odds are much more in your favor. Studies show just how much more money graduates make over the course of their lifetime.

Finally, some 2-year technical college is NOT an experience you should judge getting a true 4-year degree. This is not to say that they are not great for someone who needs something quick to get them started!

Given your drive to learn, and curiosity you will probably be successful at what you choose to do, especially because you will never stop learning.

Good luck.
    I actually agree with a lot of what you said.. the bit about not opening the book had nothing to do with me getting anything out of it or what not.. there was plenty of people in that class that learned a ton from the book..

it was literally the fact that I just simply understood most of it from previous experience.. and yes I actually got quite a bit out of school.. but more so in the lab's then the lectures..

The classes were split into 2 sections 4 hours a piece per class.. 2 hours was lecture/book work and the other 2 hours lab..

The labs did give hands on experience in things that I may have not yet dealt with so was school a waste NO completely not a waste.. My comment was more so referring to the fact that people learn in all different ways some people can pick a book up read an entire page get to the end and not remember what they just read.. but give those same people hand on experience and they can be incredible..

I can say first hand that being a programmer would not be for me. I do a ton of website stuff which is similiar in a fashion not fully but similiar which I enjoy as a past time.. php html some asp etc some flash in the past so I kind of understand what it takes to learn languages.. and how they work a bit.

my field is a seperate knowledge point then that.

and as far as being offended don't worry about it at all I actually appreciate someones view and opinion or thoughts..

"noone knows everything, but everyone knows something"
    12-11-08 10:58 PM
    Is this the correct website to purchase the signedkeys?

hxxp://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/codekeys.jsp

BlackBerry - Java Code Signing Keys

I have seen some info stating $100 for the signedkeys and this says $20.
    Is it the one needed for using the api.broswer?

The API you need to use to do that is one that requires signing, which costs money to get from RIM. If I were in your situation, because of the signing aspect alone, it would be easier and possibly cheaper to pay someone than to try and do this yourself.

At a guess, I haven't tested etc the code, you'd need something like:

Code:
    import net.rim.device.api.ui.UiApplication;
    import net.rim.blackberry.api.browser.*;

class ShowURI extends UiApplication
    {
        public static void main(String[] args)
        {
            Browser.getDefaultSession().displayPage("http://gpsavenger.sf.net");
        }
    }
    12-16-08 04:49 PM
    BlackBerry - Java Code Signing Keys is correct I think, however I wasn't the one responsible for purchasing etc our keys so I'm not 100% sure.

It used to be $100, but they recently reduced it to $20, apparently.
    12-16-08 10:35 PM
    Hint: You'll also want to check out RIM's new WebSignals API - you should google it up, because the whole purpose is to allow icons to change to signal you have new content available - and then when the user clicks on the icon it will launch your page.
    01-08-09 01:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD