I just signed up and received my free Blackberry playbook and Marmalade SDK license. Anyone else taking advantage of this developer offer? To keep the playbook I have to submit an app and get it approved that was built with Marmalade's SDK.

One problem... they have a webworks SDK for iOS and Android but none for Blackberry yet... when it is released it will be after their offer ends. So for now, I have to learn to code the app completely in C++!

My previous apps were all Webworks using Blackberry's webworks SDK for Playbook:

- Smoking Calculator
    - Talking Alarm Text Clock
    (pro and demo)

Coding with Marmalade is new to me, but I know C/C++ from a previous life. :-)

First problem was getting a development environment for Native coding. With Webworks I was using a web-app (Dreamweaver) and hand-scripting and testing in Chrome. Pretty much just creating a website but geared towards touch and at a fixed resolution. That was relatively easy.

With Marmalade, I had to install Microsoft Visual C++ Express 2010 which is FREE thankfully. Last time I coded in C was using Borland C++, so this was a real jump. Got Marmalade installed and played with the examples, and using and hacking together bits of code to make my own app which will be a physics-based game.

(I used to have fun in the old days making particle simulators)

It took me a few days to get going because Marmalade wasn't working properly, or MS Visual C++ was complaining during builds about missing this or that. Finally updated and deleted some previous app build directories and seems to work ok. Could have been a license issue also. Then I ran into memory stack overflow issues and figured out that I need to change mem settings in the apps.icf file.

So I am learning!!! Ouch!!! What a totally harder thing than Webworks but infinitely more versatile and fast! I think I may actually prefer native coding once I get to know what I'm doing... So far it is painfully slow but rewarding!!!!

Anyone else out there using Marmalade?

I can just see so many opportunities for those young self-taught coders to get into the app developing game for Free... free Playbook, free MS Visual C++ and free Marmalade SDK and submit their app for free to Blackberry. The app can also be later ported to iOS and Android using Marmalade also, so all of a sudden their app is available on ALL major platforms and could score a nice buck!

Also if Blackberry is promising $10,000 to all BB10 developers, that is a nice bonus as well. Who wouldn't take advantage?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    09-30-12 06:14 PM
    I'm trying to use Marmalade but so far have failed miserably lol.
    I mostly do webworks, starting to try to get into some Qt, but Marmalade has me stumped
    Luckily, we've got until January to figure it out well enough to build an app.
    09-30-12 08:49 PM
    Ouch... January seems like just around the corner!

Check out drmop.com, there are some downloads of simple apps that give the basics of Marmalade. The rest is just a matter of hacking together bits and pieces of code.

For example, first thing I did was the hello world app. Then tried to draw a sprite to the screen and apply some transforms. Finally working on touch now, and need to build myself a few functions to detect if a region on the screen is pressed... to activate a button or move a sprite, or make a joystick-like region on the screen.

They have UI examples too... I am familiar with jQuery and making menus, dialogs and so on. But I am sure I could copy and paste code from the Marmalade UI demos and just modify to make my own buttons.

Whatever I can come up with by January I will submit, but it will be definitely a work in progress! :-)

How is everyone else managing with Marmalade?

10-01-12 12:51 AM
    I am trying out marmalade as well. So far, my stumbling block is to get the thing running which required MS Visual Studios. I finally got it to run which is great however, now I m tempted to use Cascades so we'll see how that goes!
    10-05-12 01:14 PM
    So, not too many CB members are using marmalade. Does somebody have more info about the issue with import fees ? They constantly say that
    BlackBerry have confirmed to Marmalade that they will pay ALL fees. If you have to pay out any upfront costs, BlackBerry will reimburse you. You can email [email protected] for information on reimbursement.
    but I already have 2 pending reimbursement requests and no answer since 26 June 2012. Customs fee here in my country is quite high, even higher than the real PB value (100+$). That is why I decided to decline PlayBook this time, and only to accept the marmalade licence extension.
    10-09-12 07:40 AM
    Use MS Visual C++ 2010 Express, it is free and works fine with Marmalade.

I got the Playbook in the mail, free. I'm in Canada though.

No problems thus far... Bit of a learning curve but making progress slowly each day.

10-11-12 08:27 AM
    RIM emailed me last week saying they can't find my vendor email for the Marmalade PlayBook (the email they emailed me on IS my vendor email).
    Haven't heard back from them since then.
    10-11-12 10:23 AM
    Hello everybody!

After two weeks, it finally made it to me, on the other side of the Atl�ntic
    Yes, it came free of any charges BUT the portuguese customs didn't quite found it 'legal' to be void of value (no paperwork so they made blackberry send FedEx an extra declaration of which I haven't been given any copy). I was asked any information that could be of any help so I sent them the order confirmation emails.
    After 3 days, they must've decided to 'let go'. I'm yet to receive an email from customs in reply to my demand for ruling and taxes.

On with the development issues:
    Bbndk momentics ide works out of the box. I Installed the certificates, setup signing and debug token and tried something simple to start with, the VideoWindow example. Having successfully setup my PlayBook via wifi, debug token installation was a breeze.
    Debugging the application results in having it launched on the device AND an icon in the shortcuts Page. Now, why do I stress the icon installation? Time for some Marmalade...

I had their sdk installed the very same day I learned about being one of the lucky guys selected for being sent the device. That said, I started reading the tutorials and experimented with the simulator. The sdk+vc express ide worked ok.
    Today, while following Felix on it's way to the 127.000ft, I managed to build the s3eLocation sample for the pb, install it BUT... Damn! It's not found anywhere on the applications!! Oh, and it's not launching either... Browsing the Web lead me to this thread of ours and that's it...

Any thoughts are welcome
    One last question: is there any simple app to check for the presence of gps hardware?
    10-14-12 04:18 PM
    Maybe I'm wrong but I've tried marmalade compass example (I think it was called s3eCompass or similar). I got only 3 buttons, compass on/off and exit, BUT only exit button was working. They need to state clearly which features work/don't work on PlayBook. And updated documentation also.
    10-15-12 03:00 AM
    How are you all able to launch the samples? I'm yet to find any icon to launch them once deployed
    10-15-12 04:45 PM
    The OSBBx team has a bunch of us that cashed in as well. I have samples running. You need to give up on their signing tools and do it yourself by hand. If i get time iput up step by step instructos for folks.

Justin beat me to it though and already got his built and submitted lol.

Note:. No icon means bad signing key and bad debug key, or bad package. Use BBHTools to install the bar it will give you feedback on the faikure.

The app only signs debug tokens. Those tokens must be on your pb and valid.

You need to manually modify the manifest file to say debug is false and sign using webworks command line signing tools (they are inckuded with marmalade). Beware the marmalade zip problem, if the 6.0 bug is still there in 6.1 you may need to manually repack the entire zip via 3rd party when you go to submit your app.
    10-15-12 11:09 PM
    Somewhere they do have a buried doc that shows what functions work on pb and which dont. Its about 60/40
    10-15-12 11:11 PM
    Somewhere they do have a buried doc that shows what functions work on pb and which dont. Its about 60/40
    Nothing that clearly shows what works and what doesn't. Just old, prehistoric docs
    10-16-12 02:57 AM
    Hi again!
    Thought you'd like to know that after installing ndk 10_0_09 (I had ndk 2.0.1) it all works, I finally got the sample to package, get deployed and leave a Marmalade icon to launch it
    I have no need to touch the manifest file (it didn't make any sense, to be honest ) but I notice that running the "package and deploy " ended in the error message about being unable to deploy. After running "Package" once, I tried the combo again and it finally installed.

Another thing, I had to reconfigure my pb on momentic's Targets so marmalade's deployment tool can succeed.
    I'm gonna try some more samples.

On the Api coverage: the docs do say what platforms are supported for a given API. I found the info when looking for stuff on location.
    See you later!

(sorry, forgot to leave the relevant link to the platform support: http://docs.madewithmarmalade.com/na...splaybook.html )
    Last edited by teclas2k; 10-16-12 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Forgot to paste a link..
    10-16-12 02:25 PM
    Maybe I'm wrong but I've tried marmalade compass example (I think it was called s3eCompass or similar). I got only 3 buttons, compass on/off and exit, BUT only exit button was working. They need to state clearly which features work/don't work on PlayBook. And updated documentation also.
    Marmalade API Reference: S3E Playbook Considerations

That is one of the unsupported API. We're both out of luck, Location is not supported either
    One might be able to get around this via the native ndk, I hope..
    10-16-12 02:57 PM
    Marmalade API Reference: S3E Playbook Considerations

That is one of the unsupported API. We're both out of luck, Location is not supported either
    One might be able to get around this via the native ndk, I hope..
    Thanks for the link
    Got confirmation of my PlayBook shipping, got signing to work, and now I just have to finish an app lol.
    10-17-12 11:44 AM
    Still waiting for notification when my product is about to ship The last thing that I got working is rolling 2 wheels forward and backward
    10-17-12 03:46 PM
    /|\
    |
    |

That was the link I was referring to also:

BlackBerry Game Development with Marmalade SDK - Porting
    Marmalade is a uniquely powerful cross-platform SDK for the development of smartphone, tablet, desktop and Smart TV apps and games. Marmalade SDK supports deployment of Apps and Games directly to the BlackBerry Playbook and BlackBerry 10 devices. If you are currently developing using Marmalade SDK or already have an App or Game running on Marmalade SDK and curious about BlackBerry Platform, this event is for you! This webcast will walk you through the simple steps involved in bringing your existing apps to the BlackBerry Platform. It's a great chance to get familiar with this process before you embark on your own port and to ask any questions before you get started. Engineers Nick Smith from Marmalade and Ramprasad Madhavan from RIM will be happy to answer all your questions and provide best practices and tips when bringing Marmalade Apps/Games to BlackBerry Platform.
    Start: October 25, 2012 1:30:00 PM EDT
    End: October 25, 2012 2:30:00 PM EDT

http://www.blackberrydeveloperevents...oid=1067854432
    10-17-12 10:31 PM
    I received my Playbook a couple of days before they closed the offer. Quite a nice little unit.

TBH I'd never considered developing anything for BBs. I'd got heartily sick and tired of the bloody things - oldest daughter and her friends all have BB phones and the number of problems we've had with them aren't worth thinking about. So the Playbook has come as a nice surprise.

My biggest problem at the moment, though, is the Marmalade SDK. At the minute I'm not able to spend all my time working it out because my first game is almost ready for WP7. Once that's done I'll convert it for the Playbook. It's been years since I did any C++ but it might now come in handy with the release of WP8. The Marmalade SDK at the moment looks like a bit of a mess compared to what I'm used to but I'm sure that once I get into it it'll start to make sense.
    11-09-12 04:25 PM
    Its brutal. I left them a lot of feedback.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    11-16-12 10:30 PM
    Hi folks,

I've been hacking away at my game app using Marmalade and it is coming together nicely, at least when I compile and run it on my PC. However, I haven't tried to build a BAR file yet or deploy anything to my playbook. I still have a ways to go in finishing some more levels, but soon I will want to test it on a Playbook.

I heard of lots of problems with signing keys and the like. I've got the old-style keys which use 2 passwords. So I want to first debug and then package a signed BAR of my app and I am not clear on how to do that. Marmalade is supposed to do it for you automatically but I haven't looked into the settings.

Basically I have been spending the past few months coding in C++ within MS Visual C++ Express 2010 and compiling and seeing my app running in the Marmalade emulator window on my PC.

Whenever I would add some new sprite objects or other files to my app, I would have to double-click my app's .mkb file and it would do something in a DOS window and my app would update itself.

Any help would be appreciated with putting together what I need to compile and deploy. Coming from Webworks development, I am used to editing a config.xml file with my icon and splash page info, and other app properties. I haven't looked into it at all with Marmalade so I wonder if its the same or a lot more convoluted.

11-28-12 10:34 PM
    Finally finished my Marmalade SDK game demo and have signed and submitted for both Playbook and BB10 a few hours ago!

Hope it makes it into Appworld in a few days. I want to keep my Free 32gb Playbook offer and also grab the $100 per app offer for Marmalade port-a-thon for BB10 which is happening over the last few days and ending soon.

Anyone else out there using Marmalade for the first time because of these offers/promos?

12-16-12 12:17 AM
    Marmalade Game Developer

Staff.com is in urgent need of a Marmalade Game Developer! It is part time work from home
    You must be someone who can help us build mobile game development in Marmalade SDK using IWgame for creating a learning games and have experience in Marmalade SDK, C++ and Game development.

If you think you are qualified, please go to this link https://www.staff.com/job-posting/LZ...uw3CMuxPXnCAiY to submit your application. Qualified candidates will be contacted via email so check your email regularly. Work samples of Mobile games required.
    06-29-13 10:05 AM
    Most of the qualified marmalade folks on here didn't like the platform. But hopefully you guys find a good candidate

Posted via CB from my LE
    06-29-13 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD