So, I released my first BB10 app back on Oct. 27th (trying to get a free Red Z10) and then I did an update on Dec. 04. When you do a basic report on the Vendor World, you see something like this.

Looking at my download report-meetupforblackberry10-09dec.png

Which doesn't tell you much, except for that a bunch of people updated the app when I released the new version.
    If you do scheduled report (which is a misleading title) then you get more information.
    Looking at my download report-spreadsheet_meetup.png

Some of the things I found interesting was there were more than one downloads from RIM as a Carrier.
    I can see Q5, Q10 and Z30 phone types, but it seems that the Z10s show up as Qualcomm GPU or Imagination GPU.
    I had a lot of downloads in Africa. I didn't expect it to be popular in that area of the world. Including the small island country of Mauritius. I did a check and was surprised to find that they do actually have Meetup groups there.

If I get the time, I think I might try to create a dashboard from the data to let me know where my app is being downloaded. Maybe I should see if there is a BlackBerry app for that. hmmm....

Disappointingly, it looks like I only had about 221 updates. Which means the 775 initial downloads weren't all kept or haven't been updated. I plan on doing some more updates and then submitting it to Built for BlackBerry. I am hoping that at that point, those who initially downloaded, but uninstalled it, will come back to the app.

Anyways, wanted to share my thoughts.

UPDATE :
    Just re-found that there are analytic tools for your app that you can sign up for (most have a fee), but for a simple tool that displays the download report, I don't think there is an option.
    Last edited by LoganSix; 12-09-13 at 09:09 AM. Reason: update about analytic tools
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-09-13 09:00 AM
    Thanks for sharing.

Interesting to see how thing are going for you - and for BlackBerry. Seems to still be a lot of people outside the US that are also still stuck on BB10.1. I wouldn't be surprised if only 1/3 retention isn't pretty common. I know I've download a number of apps, just to see if I can use them - but I'll end up either deleting them or not reinstalling them after a new OS load (wipe installation).

I don't think BBMx is even seeing that level in some markets.
    12-09-13 09:28 AM
    Downloads from RIM could indicate someone using the simulator, or any BB10 device without a SIM card. For the Z10s, they're shown that way because there are 2 distinct hardware profiles. The Qualcomm one is the normal Z10 that is seen around N/A and most of Europe. The imagination GPU is on units equipped with the TI OMAP processor and I believe they are 3G devices as opposed to LTE.

The BB World analytics are unfortunately extremely weak. Developers have been asking for an update for a while now. Tracking installed base and separating new downloads from updates are must have features that we've been living without.
    silentkingdom likes this.
    12-10-13 01:54 PM
    Downloads from RIM could indicate someone using the simulator, or any BB10 device without a SIM card.
    Possibly. I find it interesting the different devices and locations of those devices.

01-Dec-2013 11:34:43 AM BlackBerry Q10 10.1.0 India
    01-Dec-2013 06:30:54 PM BlackBerry Z30 10.2.0 Canada
    30-Nov-2013 02:41:03 AM BlackBerry Q10 10.1.0 Canada
    18-Nov-2013 02:10:43 PM BlackBerry Q10 10.1.0 United States
    16-Nov-2013 08:09:34 AM BlackBerry Q10 10.1.0 United States
    10-Nov-2013 06:54:13 AM Qualcomm GPU VZW 10.1.0 United States
    03-Nov-2013 01:35:34 PM Qualcomm GPU 10.2.0 Canada
    02-Nov-2013 10:51:16 PM BlackBerry Q5 10.1.0 Nigeria
    28-Oct-2013 09:08:08 AM Qualcomm GPU 10.1.0 United States

The BB World analytics are unfortunately extremely weak..
    Agreed. If my app gets big enough, I might try Flurry analytic.
    12-10-13 05:17 PM
    I did a small update to fix an issue with the OAuth Token expiring while the app was working. When the user enters the app from being closed, it updates (sometimes it requires a user action). I would prefer to get this fixed that after the initial authentication, any other update will go automatically.

I also fixed the pinch to zoom method of looking at the pictures and added an email feedback in the app menu. I added the email feedback because I got another review stating that the app didn't work on a Z10. With no way of contacting the reviewer, I figured the next best thing was to provide a way for users to contact me directly with their issues. I did get a review after the update from a Z10 user that said it does work. So, I don't know what the issue is.

Anyway, this wasn't a big update, so this release was 1.1.1 (build 2, because I had to remove "BB10" on the splash screen and replace it with BlackBerry 10)

Looking at my download report-meetupforblackberry10-11jan_marks.png

The chart does show that I am stilling getting new users since the last update. It looks like I have about 200 users, even thought there are a lot more downloads of the app. The spread is still over over the place. I am amazed at the different locations that are downloading the app. I just hope it works with all the different languages.

I also had one of these listed
    Porsche Design P9982 10.2.0 T-Mobile US

Hopefully I can get more features added soon and get to the point of adding an in app purchase to see how that will work.
    01-11-14 09:54 AM
    Not too sure what the question is. But remember that downloads includes repeat installers, and updates. Doing it by sales shows you actual units sold.

If you care about regions etc - its a csv. Just do a sort and countif or a pivot table.

Roughly speaking. The downloads over a 2-3 day period post update release gives you a good idea of the customer base for free apps. Apps for sale do it for all time.

I did the math on mine recently and I made about 20k over the last 24 months or so.

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-15-14 07:43 PM
    Not too sure what the question is. But remember that downloads includes repeat installers, and updates. Doing it by sales shows you actual units sold.
    Posted via CB from my LE
    No question.
    Just sharing some thoughts.

If I had a question, it would be : Would you setup your own metrics recording in your app to send data to your own chart. (i.e. not using one of the recommended paid services)?
    01-15-14 07:55 PM
    No question.
    Just sharing some thoughts.

If I had a question, it would be : Would you setup your own metrics recording in your app to send data to your own chart. (i.e. not using one of the recommended paid services)?
    Gotcha - good point I was just worried I missed something.

You could setup a metrics solution. Chuck a Google analytics in the back of your app or something.

For me I do this mostly for fun... and I build apps mostly for me . but if I started taking it seriously I might.

Just be cautious. Don't let it throw IO or HTTP errors with a bad connection etc. Lots of apps have analytics but people might think it's the NSA . I'll post some stats up later too for people who are curious.

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-15-14 09:49 PM
    You should check out Distimo. It takes the reporting info directly from Blackberry World and create different charts and graphs of the data. Allows you to view downloads / purchases from specific countries, or device etc. keeps track of your total sales since you became a vendor. Another feature I liked it is shows you all your reviews and even translates them for you if they are in a different language. It's a pretty useful tool and really easy to set up.

Also, as was mentioned Flurry is a great tool for getting metrics about how your actual app is used.

Jared

Posted via CB10
    LoganSix likes this.
    01-18-14 01:09 PM
    Distimo is an excellent tool for keeping track of your reports, they'll even send you a daily e-mail with a statistics chart your earnings etc... very convenient.

Flurry is very useful as well but the major downside is you have to request read device identifying information permission, there's a lot of customers who are scared of that permission and will leave bad reviews because of it, so really ensure your app is the type of app that could justify needing the permission

Since you shared your stats i'll share mine...
    this is a view of Distimo's download history for Spy Cam Extreme
    Looking at my download report-downloads-2014-01-23.png
    [Click to Enlarge]
    01-23-14 08:16 AM
    Since you shared your stats i'll share mine...
    this is a view of Distimo's download history for Spy Cam Extreme
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Downloads-2014-01-23.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	240984
    [Click to Enlarge]
    Are the diamonds releases?
    Looks like you have 10,000 or more active users. Nice! I'm jealous.

When I get the rest of that app sorted out, I'll probably add Distimo.
    I might add it to the small list app I'm creating now, just to see how it works.
    01-23-14 10:53 AM
    Are the diamonds releases?
    Looks like you have 10,000 or more active users. Nice! I'm jealous.

When I get the rest of that app sorted out, I'll probably add Distimo.
    I might add it to the small list app I'm creating now, just to see how it works.
    The diamond does mark releases. I don't use flurry in this app as I never thought asking for device identify info for a spy cam would go over well so I don't really know how many active users there are, Distimo only provides a downloads, revenue and raking reports + a few other interesting stats

You can also select other apps and have it chart out those downloads in the same graph for easy comparison. Distimo requires no in-app code so you can set it up by making an account at any time.

Flurry provides more in-depth information, i'll post a screenshot of what it looks like
    Analytics for Sideload Companion
    Looking at my download report-flurry-preview.jpg

This is a customized dashboard showing data that I want to about my app, there's tons of things you can choose to see, you can create custom events and view graphs of every time those events are triggered (say a specific button is clicked). It's really interesting
    01-23-14 11:29 AM
    Distimo only provides a downloads, revenue and raking reports + a few other interesting stats
    Ahh... so if I built my own charts using the download report from BlackBerry, I would be getting the exact same information.

I was wondering about the device id thing. I was trying to figure out a way to create a unique id in order to track usage. But, if someone deleted the app made ID through reinstall or manual action, I wouldn't get the right data. But, I guess it would be good for that period of time, if I wanted track usage.
    01-23-14 12:51 PM