Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Programmers wanted with necessary OPTIMISM and KNOWLEDGE to help with keeping BB10 alive and beating. All interested please send me a private message. Can't-be-done folks please stay away.
    lolo9269 and mm2061 like this.
    08-13-18 08:34 AM
    Programmers wanted with necessary OPTIMISM and KNOWLEDGE to help with keeping BB10 alive and beating. All interested please send me a private message.
    How long do you intend to keep it alive?
    08-13-18 09:57 AM
    Depends, as long as it can be basicaly functional. They are many people that will stockpile these phones for specific purposes.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-18 12:49 PM
    Depends, as long as it can be basicaly functional. They are many people that will stockpile these phones for specific purposes.

Posted via CB10
    How will you be able to install the software without BlackBerry's private signing keys? Hardware root of trust will prevent installation without them.
    08-14-18 12:57 PM
    How will you be able to install the software without BlackBerry's private signing keys? Hardware root of trust will prevent installation without them.
    If I had all the answers then I wouldn't ask for any help would I. I was thinking about solutions that wouldn't make core changes to the OS, apps that could replace potential missing functions. Or something else could be done, but people who want to do something first must come together.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-18 01:07 PM
    If I had all the answers then I wouldn't ask for any help would I. I was thinking about solutions that wouldn't make core changes to the OS, apps that could replace potential missing functions. Or something else could be done, but people who want to do something first must come together.

Posted via CB10
    Without being able to touch the base OS, the Android Runtime, or any system apps, you would be limited to 3rd party apps only.

Further, most apps have moved to private APIs, so you won't be able to make BB10 versions of most of the popular apps even if you wanted to (such as Facebook, SnapChat, Instagram, etc).

So, I'm not sure what that leaves you with.
    Last edited by conite; 08-14-18 at 01:26 PM.
    08-14-18 01:12 PM
    Without being able to touch the base OS, the Android Runtime, or any system apps, you would be limited to 3rd party apps only.

Further, most apps have moved to private APIs, so you won't be able to make BB10 versions of most of the popular apps even if you wanted to (such as Facebook, SnapChat, Instagram, etc).

So, I'm not sure what that leaves you with.
    Just want to gather some people to consider some options. We shall see what can come out of that.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-18 02:11 PM
    Just want to gather some people to consider some options. We shall see what can come out of that.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I'm telling you what the options are. It's not like this is our first go around on this topic. This is probably thread number 614.
    08-14-18 02:13 PM
    They are many people that will stockpile these phones for specific purposes.
    Well, they'd better activate them before 12/31/2019. When the BBID server is taken offline, any unactivated phone will basically be a brick.

Also, pray that you don't ever have to reload the OS after that date.
    08-14-18 02:16 PM
    Well, they'd better activate them before 12/31/2019. When the BBID server is taken offline, any unactivated phone will basically be a brick.

Also, pray that you don't ever have to reload the OS after that date.
    I'm thinking the guy that ordered the 10 Passports won't get to use them all....
    08-14-18 02:20 PM
    I wish you luck. But, to paraphrase Han Solo, if Obi-Wan Chenobi doesn't disable the hardware root of trust tractor beam, it's going to be a real short trip!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-14-18 03:49 PM
    I wish you luck. But, to paraphrase Han Solo, if Obi-Wan Chenobi doesn't disable the hardware root of trust tractor beam, it's going to be a real short trip!

Obi-Wan had a reason to shut down the tractor beam....

Chen has no such reason, other that out of the kindness of his heart. And probable more legality issues involved then it would be worth.... beside Han, Leah and Luke are all going to die anyway. (I know Leah hasn't in the movie... )
    08-14-18 03:59 PM
    Obi-Wan had a reason to shut down the tractor beam....

Chen has no such reason, other that out of the kindness of his heart. And probable more legality issues involved then it would be worth.... beside Han, Leah and Luke are all going to die anyway. (I know Leah hasn't in the movie... )
    Also, unlike in the movies, there isn't likely a magic lever that could do it. All Obi-Wan had to give was a few days of his life and....well...his life. Turning off the hardware root of trust would cost a lot more resources.

08-14-18 04:03 PM
    A multiplexor would force its way in, but possibly only to devices with HDMI. Aux is capable also but laughed out of consideration.Lot to think about with this and BB10's self healing, origins, supporters and roles sinse its conception. Abstraction is said to solve any problem.. Text, shadows, and escapes can translate to anything. I can't really express my point In the time I care to spend typing here but the right pattern is prob right in
    front of us.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-18 01:35 AM
    1)Imagine BB could provide specific OS images for reloading, after the network EOL for bb10 Image downloadable for future reloads onto a sd-card/hard drive etc..
    I imagine it would be necessary for them to continue to provide that ability in some manner.

2)Can't apps be loaded on bb10 phones through 3rd party sites?
    Do they require Blackberry's signing at that point? Do they require Developer mode and a debug token from BB ?...or would they in the future?
    2b)The trade-off is that BlackBerry would no longer be scanning the apps for nefarious activity though wouldn't it. But for privately developed internal usage, that could be trusted by virtue of knowing the developer.
    3)....and would the images provided by crackberry contributors be available as well? would an official os image then be able to load these alternative images?
    4) would the developer tools also disappear at that point?
    5)would developer documentation also disappear at that point? or would they leave it open sourced (developer documentation that is)...
    6).or package it all up into a zip for users to download at that point

Then again if someone would bankroll a bootstrap to continue bb10, separate from BB's corp focus would be ideal, or if BB just gave the blessing to some group to take it off their hands (without giving up the source/core bb10 os of course).
    11-08-18 11:05 PM
    ....or those future apps could be source code distributed as well, to encourage trust.
    11-08-18 11:07 PM
    .....heck they (or someone) might even be able to charge a reload fee for old phones after EOL though a minimal website, $5- 20bucks or so per reload.
    11-08-18 11:09 PM
    ....but a bb11 , well thy could charge $50 or more if it has some good goodies.
    11-08-18 11:10 PM
    1)Imagine BB could provide specific OS images for reloading, after the network EOL for bb10 Image downloadable for future reloads onto a sd-card/hard drive etc..
    I imagine it would be necessary for them to continue to provide that ability in some manner.

2)Can't apps be loaded on bb10 phones through 3rd party sites?
    Do they require Blackberry's signing at that point? Do they require Developer mode and a debug token from BB ?...or would they in the future?
    2b)The trade-off is that BlackBerry would no longer be scanning the apps for nefarious activity though wouldn't it. But for privately developed internal usage, that could be trusted by virtue of knowing the developer.
    3)....and would the images provided by crackberry contributors be available as well? would an official os image then be able to load these alternative images?
    4) would the developer tools also disappear at that point?
    5)would developer documentation also disappear at that point? or would they leave it open sourced (developer documentation that is)...
    6).or package it all up into a zip for users to download at that point

Then again if someone would bankroll a bootstrap to continue bb10, separate from BB's corp focus would be ideal, or if BB just gave the blessing to some group to take it off their hands (without giving up the source/core bb10 os of course).
    For what purpose? All this effort and expense for the sake of a few thousand users?
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-08-18 11:23 PM
    For what purpose? All this effort and expense for the sake of a few thousand users?
    Pretty sure the os/2 group isn't costing IBM anything. Give some of those retired BB engineers an after work hobby.

Oh, and just add some more O's to that number..... (start at 2:04 mark for better effect lol)

Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 11-09-18 at 12:14 PM.
    11-09-18 12:04 PM
    I'd think it'd be possible to make a third party updated runtime? Would require an incredibly skilled developer.
    11-09-18 12:07 PM
    There's Virual Machine software for Android (Bochs, Limbo), so theoretically it's possible to load Windows, Linux, and newer Android versions on a BB10 device. Emulators on emulators!
    11-09-18 12:16 PM