Hi guys. I own a blackberry 9700 and I plan to make a Java program for it, and then share it free with the community.

My major concern is that I can not afford buying every Blackberry model available just to test my program.

Is it there any way to make my program work globally (in all blackberries)....

Thanks

Athas.
    04-13-10 01:21 PM
    Yes it should work on other berries, expecially the non touch ones, like the Tour, 8900, etc, you would have problems getting it to work on the Storm line possibly. There are tools thou, the developer community can help you, so I have moved the there here.
    04-13-10 01:24 PM
    Hi brother.

Thanks. .

I will try to get in touch with the community....

Take care....

Athas
    04-13-10 02:00 PM
    When you develop the app, you can test it on different simulators to check that it works on different types of BlackBerry. You get some simulators with the JDE and can download others direct from RIM.

Your app should work with other models of phone as long as they have the required features for your app. For example if your app needs GPS then it will only work on phones with GPS enabled.

If you stick to standard features that are available on the 9700 and the Storm (for example), there is no reason why your app won't work on both devices.
    04-15-10 03:41 AM
    You have the simulators for all the devices available
    05-13-10 10:44 AM
    Depends what you are doing... For example the 8900, 9630, and 9650 all have identical screen resolutions and input controls as the 9700. As long as you are not doing anything with the radios your application should work on all of those...
    06-23-10 07:55 PM
    Screen resolution is one issue, minimum target OS is a different porting issue for BlackBerry devices. When doing BlackBerry development, you never really target a specific device. More a combination of OS/screen resolution/input methods (e.g. touch) and networking capabilities.

If you want an app that works on most devices, you need to lower your minimum OS requirements, and build against that.
    07-07-10 03:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD