Hi I want to know how can I create apps for my BB os6? I heard you need a dev pack for os 6 is this true and if true how can I get it and get started?
    08-30-12 10:07 AM
    OS6 is a deprecated platform so you're not going to get much support developing for it. Have you ever developed applications before? If not, then BB6 is the wrong place to start.
    08-30-12 10:23 AM
    Don't bother. Skip right to the BB10 platform. Developer tools and support are awesome, plus everything else will soon be out the door. Not worth the effort...
    08-30-12 11:03 AM
    Don't bother. Skip right to the BB10 platform. Developer tools and support are awesome, plus everything else will soon be out the door. Not worth the effort...
    I would but i don't have a BB10 device to test the apps on though so how would I know they work or where bugs and problems need sorting without one?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using the CrackBerry Forums App!
    08-30-12 12:03 PM
    The Simulator is awesome! Like I said...great tools...
    08-30-12 12:06 PM
    The Simulator is awesome! Like I said...great tools...
    Uhhh... Simulator?

08-30-12 12:35 PM
    The BB10 simulator which is one of the dev tools available from RIM. What platforms have you developed for before?
    08-30-12 12:38 PM
    The BB10 simulator which is one of the dev tools available from RIM. What platforms have you developed for before?

I haven't so that why I'm asking how to get started creating apps as its something I'm interested in doing

08-30-12 12:57 PM
    I haven't so that why I'm asking how to get started creating apps as its something I'm interested in doing

Blackberry (or any mobile phone) is a terrible place to start.
    Start with the basics. Use python or something easy to learn programming basics. When you're ready to start developing actual applications, you can move onto something more advanced.
    Start with something simple like HTML5/JavaScript development. You can do that with just a normal computer, and it will help you with some of the basics. Plus, after you're familiar with HTML5 & JavaScript, you will be able to hop right into app development using Webworks for Blackberry.
    08-30-12 01:09 PM
    Blackberry (or any mobile phone) is a terrible place to start.

Start with the basics. Use python or something easy to learn programming basics. When you're ready to start developing actual applications, you can move onto something more advanced.

Start with something simple like HTML5/JavaScript development. You can do that with just a normal computer, and it will help you with some of the basics. Plus, after you're familiar with HTML5 & JavaScript, you will be able to hop right into app development using Webworks for Blackberry.
    Hmm good idea thanks for that!!

Would themes also be a good place to start with BlackBerry?

08-30-12 01:14 PM
    I can't speak for themes. I do know that you probably won't learn anything about app development by making themes. That's more of an artistic thing.
    08-30-12 01:19 PM
    Hmm it could help with graphics and layout design

08-30-12 01:33 PM
    themes use SVG so unless you plan on using SVG in your HTML5 then doing themes for BB as a stepping stone for app development is futile. If you think it will help with artistic development, my opinion is that it will help as much as throwing paint on a canvas...

Be aware, themes are designed around how the operating system and the user communicate. Items which can be manipulated in themes are not endless and are tied to how the blackberry devices reads and makes use of the theme file. The ONLY benefit to learning themes first would be to understand how the blackberry device(s) render images on screen.(Gradients, etc..)

HTML5 Webworks is very easy to develop for, especially if you have ANY experience with HTML or Javascript. The micro webworks site from RIM is very helpfull in getting you started.

I would start there if your in a hurry to get something out for BB0S6.
    09-02-12 03:25 PM
    themes use SVG so unless you plan on using SVG in your HTML5 then doing themes for BB as a stepping stone for app development is futile. If you think it will help with artistic development, my opinion is that it will help as much as throwing paint on a canvas...

Be aware, themes are designed around how the operating system and the user communicate. Items which can be manipulated in themes are not endless and are tied to how the blackberry devices reads and makes use of the theme file. The ONLY benefit to learning themes first would be to understand how the blackberry device(s) render images on screen.(Gradients, etc..)

HTML5 Webworks is very easy to develop for, especially if you have ANY experience with HTML or Javascript. The micro webworks site from RIM is very helpfull in getting you started.

I would start there if your in a hurry to get something out for BB0S6.
    ok will do

09-03-12 05:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD