Hey developers,

I am about to code up an integrated trial, and PIN-based activation service that you could add to your apps with only a few lines of code. I would maintain the server to provide the codes and support everything you needed.

On top of this, I would offer an analytics server so you could view real time orders from multiple sites all in one place.

Is this a service any of you would be interested? What price point do you think is fair?

Thanks!
    01-14-10 12:18 PM
    Sounds like a good idea. What I would be interested in is being able to purchase that as a package per say, so Id be able just to run it on my own server. Any thoughts on that?
    01-14-10 12:47 PM
    Sounds like a good idea. What I would be interested in is being able to purchase that as a package per say, so Id be able just to run it on my own server. Any thoughts on that?
    The issue there is I would have to distribute the full source code, which would obviously be an issue. What issues/concerns do you have with a fully managed and hosted service so you wouldn't have to deal with it?
    01-14-10 12:58 PM
    The issue there is I would have to distribute the full source code, which would obviously be an issue. What issues/concerns do you have with a fully managed and hosted service so you wouldn't have to deal with it?
    My only real issue with it would be the reliability of the server.
    01-14-10 12:59 PM
    My only real issue with it would be the reliability of the server.
    I would argue you don't need to worry much about that. We have two independent sources verifying our servers uptime, and obviously it is critical for our business as well that it remains up.

Aside from that issue, what do you think such a service would be worth to you? You would be provided will full directions and necessary code in order to get up and running within an hour.
    01-14-10 01:02 PM
    Not really too sure. Have you thought about a pricing model? Per activation, flat rate etc?
    01-14-10 01:27 PM
    Not really too sure. Have you thought about a pricing model? Per activation, flat rate etc?
    Thats actually what I want to hear an opinion on. Flat rate would certainly be interesting, as would per activation. Both are possible. I can see per activation being useful because it allows smaller developers to use the system for cheap.

I am basically posting this to see if its worth the effort, because I think it would be a very useful service for individual developers. We have spent a lot of time getting our infrastructure together, and it just makes sense to share that.
    01-14-10 03:11 PM
    Feel free to PM me with more details as well. Would love to have a chat with you, Shao, to see what we can get going.
    01-14-10 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD