i am really loving my playbook thus far, and am even impressed by the quality and qty of apps as new ones come in to app world each day. i had a thought though, us as playbook users and also RIM supporters/fans should perhaps be active in suggesting and asking developers for specific apps. i know for my self i have asked several software companies if they will be having a playbook app come in the future and the standard response seems to be along the line of "we have an app for iphone and will release one soon for android but currently have no plans for blackberry. if we get enough interest in a blackberry app we would then consider" - this just got me thinking that perhaps as users we need to speak up. bb smart phones have been a pain to develop apps for - from what ive heard anyway, but i truly feel that with the playbook we have a completely different situation. the playbook i feel can handle some seriously good apps.... so what do you all think? maybe we could start with flooding microsoft for Silverlight support in browser?
    05-09-11 02:20 PM
    It's a slow spiral upward of devices selling, and apps coming, and more devices selling, and more developers bringing apps over, on and on until (if) it explodes. Things go slow in the beginning, as developers wait for the device to sell in numbers that justify the initial attention (which is where we are now). So the best hope is strong sales that put the device at a level where it can compete with those other platforms for attention.

The iPhone sort of kickstarted the process, since they had a large user base by the time the SDK was available for third-party apps a year after the device first went on sale. In the case of the PlayBook, we're slowly climbing the spiral from scratch.
    05-10-11 07:39 PM
    Flooding for general solutions like silverlight support is a good idea. But as for individual apps in a lot of cases I don't see the need...

One of the reason the Apple mandates that everything is distributed through "Apps" is because of control and the itunes store. It's not so much the fact that everything has to be an "App".

As long as the browser works well, you eliminate the need for tens or hundreds of thousands of potential apps.
    05-10-11 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD