Hi all, so I am writing a small app that would need to download a couple of JSON files periodically from a webserver in order to update a couple of ListViews and since I've never done this before I wanted to get some feedback. The code works and the app downloads info from a folder in my own personal server but I don't know if that's good enough. So here's a few questions for you guys if you don't mind:

1. How do devs normally go about updating app data from the Internet if the info is not publicly available through say REST services? Do developers set up a new website for that purpose? Maybe one for many apps? Any other ways?
    2. If it is just downloading a file or two to populate controls, would it a non-secure connection suffice, or should one go the extra mile and have a secure server in all cases?
    3. How could I encrypt a connection in Cascades?
    4. Would it be at all beneficial if no personal info is being passed? (app only downloads info)

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 12:55 PM
    Hi all, so I am writing a small app that would need to download a couple of JSON files periodically from a webserver in order to update a couple of ListViews and since I've never done this before I wanted to get some feedback. The code works and the app downloads info from a folder in my own personal server but I don't know if that's good enough. So here's a few questions for you guys if you don't mind:

1. How do devs normally go about updating app data from the Internet if the info is not publicly available through say REST services? Do developers set up a new website for that purpose? Maybe one for many apps? Any other ways?
    2. If it is just downloading a file or two to populate controls, would it a non-secure connection suffice, or should one go the extra mile and have a secure server in all cases?
    4. Would it be at all beneficial if no personal info is being passed? (app only downloads info)

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Posted via CB10
    1. You can download the html file and strip that down to get the information that you need. Or you can use a website that does that for you and gives you an easy to use API to get the information needed : https://www.kimonolabs.com/
    I never used kimono website, I don't know if there's a fee or if they collect info about you and sell that info. Use at your own risks.
    2. If the data downloaded doesn't include any personal/sensitive data, no need for a secure connection.
    3. https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...onnection.html
    4. Same as answer #2.

Posted via CB10
    lmsilvam likes this.
    05-16-15 07:48 AM

If it isn't publicly available, I assume that you make the data yourself. You can either include the file in the app on build or have it downloaded when the app loads the first time.
    I have an unpublished app that uses an XML file to generate a game board. I used this method because the data wouldn't be updated.
    I know that I talked to one developer, where we decided that he should check the age of the file from the server before downloading, to prevent unneeded downloads.

But, as a developer, if you can afford it, you should setup your own website for more than just storing your data.

As Roger said, no need to be secure, but if you can do it without too much hassle, then do it, so the user knows you went that extra effort to keep data secure in the app.

What Roger said.

To repeat #2. All communications to your server should be encrypted, if possible. This is just courtesy to your users that you are taking the extra step in your development.
    lmsilvam likes this.
    05-28-15 10:23 AM