There must be a reason for why native apps like Adobe PDF reader, email bridged and non-bridged ignore folder/directory structures when opening files or searching for attachments.

This has been my main PB misgiving for a very long time.

Is there a logical reason for this, for presenting me with every single JPG on the device instead of my organised file directory structure to navigate my files... I'm wondering if developers here have an insight.

Many thanks in advance.
    04-18-12 02:57 AM
    i think its just ease of use. Most pictures you will take will be in the same folder ('camera' folder). All other pictures you add into your playbook will be in respective folders which you can select in picture app. In terms of documents, you can search the documents by location using Doc to Go. Lastly, there is AIR browser that you can use if you dont like the native file system
    04-18-12 08:50 AM
    There must be a reason for why native apps like Adobe PDF reader, email bridged and non-bridged ignore folder/directory structures when opening files or searching for attachments.

This has been my main PB misgiving for a very long time.

Is there a logical reason for this, for presenting me with every single JPG on the device instead of my organised file directory structure to navigate my files... I'm wondering if developers here have an insight.

Many thanks in advance.
    All this is because the "file chooser" with flat profile is the only file-manager RIM included in the APIs. It does not make sense that all devs have to make their own file managers, instead of waiting until RIM get their act together and implement a real file-manager with folder/file-info/tag support.
    04-18-12 11:21 AM
    All this is because the "file chooser" with flat profile is the only file-manager RIM included in the APIs. It does not make sense that all devs have to make their own file managers, instead of waiting until RIM get their act together and implement a real file-manager with folder/file-info/tag support.
    So all files are in a single virtual root directory... on adding a file to the said directory I assume a type of simple database is included with file name and an entry for the associated pretend/virtual directory giving an illusion of a hierarchical filing system?

Please say this isn't so.
    04-18-12 01:07 PM
    So all files are in a single virtual root directory... on adding a file to the said directory I assume a type of simple database is included with file name and an entry for the associated pretend/virtual directory giving an illusion of a hierarchical filing system?

Please say this isn't so.
    The files have folder attributes when saved,.. but - the file-chooser that RIM included in their API's - shows a flat one dimentional file storage... I agree - it is completely waste... Every day I have to attach picture files to my customers, and there are around 3000 to choose from - not a quick task
    04-18-12 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD