I'm working on a very simple app for a magazine where I'm pulling their articles via their RSS feed.

The thing is they want their readers to know when a new article has been posted. Should I do it with Push or should I have the app refresh at a certain interval?

I've noticed CrackBerry refreshes at a certain interval when the app is opened but then again they have an option to use background sync. So how are they doing the second option?

I'm not very excited about Push because it seems complicated and needs some processes setup on a server.

Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 12:21 PM
    I'm working on a very simple app for a magazine where I'm pulling their articles via their RSS feed.

The thing is they want their readers to know when a new article has been posted. Should I do it with Push or should I have the app refresh at a certain interval?

I've noticed CrackBerry refreshes at a certain interval when the app is opened but then again they have an option to use background sync. So how are they doing the second option?

I'm not very excited about Push because it seems complicated and needs some processes setup on a server.

Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    For the purpose you describe, Push would be preferred way to notify users about new content... (if users need notifications even when app is closed)

Else - use a normal ActiveFrame mode to refresh in intervals..

It's my personal opinion that we as developers should keep headless to a minimum, - but of course - it is an option if you really need it. If you do - just make sure to add option in the App itself to enable/disable background mode so that the users can choose weather to spend critical resources to have it running - or if a ActiveFrame mode is acceptable.
    02-10-14 01:14 PM
    Thank you Morton. Why do you say we should leave Headless to a minimum?

The magazine posts new articles maybe once every day or two, so it's not exactly a news site with urgent notifications. That's why I'm thinking that investing in push is not the best option maybe.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 04:26 PM
    Push is headless for the purpose of notifications it is just a type of headless.

Headless is being minimized to prevent 50 apps from running at once for 20 seconds every time you get an SMS message

Posted via CB from my LE
    02-20-14 01:37 AM