Every time I look at the Calendar app icon on my screen I keep asking myself: "How did they do that?" I mean, every day the icon shows a new day and a new day of week.
    Could anyone point me to an arctile in the docs where such an API method is described? Another question: did Blackberry prepare a large set of hundreds icons for an each combination of Day and Day of Week + locale-dependant or they "draw" these data programmatically?
    I understand that this question can remain unanswered for ages but maybe someone could recall something. I'm posting this just to feed my curiosity.
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-20 04:47 AM
    Every time I look at the Calendar app icon on my screen I keep asking myself: "How did they do that?" I mean, every day the icon shows a new day and a new day of week.
    Could anyone point me to an arctile in the docs where such an API method is described? Another question: did Blackberry prepare a large set of hundreds icons for an each combination of Day and Day of Week + locale-dependant or they "draw" these data programmatically?
    I understand that this question can remain unanswered for ages but maybe someone could recall something. I'm posting this just to feed my curiosity.
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not really certain, interesting though. If you point your browser or a capable filemanager to

file:///base/usr/share/icons/

Many of them are there.

I think the app would need to keep a pointer the next days icon like a linked list.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 01-15-21 at 03:15 PM.
    05-26-20 12:01 AM
    So you think there is a set of icons somewhere... the number should be around 31*7*<different resolutions> perhaps. But it's still unclear how to change the home screen programmatically. The question is whether it's an internal thing or undocumented or that's me who is missing something. There should be something for sure, at least they need to draw the notification spark.
    I've found an old post back to 2011: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...e-apps/8359562
    The fun part is that old bbos allowed doing that unlike other platforms.
    Anyway, thanks for the link, I found a couple of things to reuse. It takes a bit of time to find icons or other resources when you develop something.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-20 02:45 AM
    So you think there is a set of icons somewhere... the number should be around 31*7*<different resolutions> perhaps. But it's still unclear how to change the home screen programmatically. The question is whether it's an internal thing or undocumented or that's me who is missing something. There should be something for sure, at least they need to draw the notification spark.
    I've found an old post back to 2011: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...e-apps/8359562
    The fun part is that old bbos allowed doing that unlike other platforms.
    Anyway, thanks for the link, I found a couple of things to reuse. It takes a bit of time to find icons or other resources when you develop something.

Posted via CB10
    Yea or a grid of icons the app has x/y positions to change to everyday depending on device time with a transition or refresh to a precached final state.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-20 06:18 PM

Few more here.

file:///base/usr/lib/search/plugins/images/

Yea or a grid of icons the app has x/y positions to change to everyday depending on device time with a transition or refresh to a precached final state.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    05-26-20 06:22 PM
    Hey. I just came by to see what's in here. I have no coding knowledge or whatsoever. As for the calendar, the background is like a fixed container, the date has 31 days. And days have 7. It's like they code it to overlay images. It's my hypothesis. The entire calendar app is about 3MB (checked it in the autoloader as you call it) and approximately the size of the date and days would be less than 40KB each and my reference is the size of icons of most android apps since I love to tweak 'em. So they must have overlay it. And all in all, 1 background + 31 dates + 7 days... that's the number of images in PNGs the app has.

It's really amazing how many features BBOS has before apple iphones. The gesture touch for example. BB has it years ahead before iphone X or its iOs version and also the one you were discussing here apple must have copied it too. And Hahaha. My BB Classic has wireless charging long long before the birth of new gen. of smartphone today.

I really don't know how to program as I've said. But it's obvious to me that a code can respond to a time and any environment. So you set the time variable first and the corresponding results. I trust you can something like it guys.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-20 09:19 AM
    Hey. I just came by to see what's in here. I have no coding knowledge or whatsoever. As for the calendar, the background is like a fixed container, the date has 31 days. And days have 7. It's like they code it to overlay images. It's my hypothesis. The entire calendar app is about 3MB (checked it in the autoloader as you call it) and approximately the size of the date and days would be less than 40KB each and my reference is the size of icons of most android apps since I love to tweak 'em. So they must have overlay it. And all in all, 1 background + 31 dates + 7 days... that's the number of images in PNGs the app has.

It's really amazing how many features BBOS has before apple iphones. The gesture touch for example. BB has it years ahead before iphone X or its iOs version and also the one you were discussing here apple must have copied it too. And Hahaha. My BB Classic has wireless charging long long before the birth of new gen. of smartphone today.

I really don't know how to program as I've said. But it's obvious to me that a code can respond to a time and any environment. So you set the time variable first and the corresponding results. I trust you can something like it guys.

Posted via CB10
    WebOS had gestures long before PlayBookOS which became BB10..... Nokia too was bringing gestures to their OS.

But yes it's strange how Google and Apple depended on buttons for so long. I love getting back into some gestures with my iPhone XR. But then I know some that hate not having a button, couple even looking at going from an iPhone X or 11 to the SE. Just for the button. Just imagine what they could do with 35 of them....

As for wireless charging... I don't know who first had it on a smartphone, but I know way back in 2009 Palm had it on one of their new phones.

BB10 was great, and BlackBerry was wise to copy what others were having sucess with... it's just too bad they waited so long to do it.
    06-18-20 01:49 PM
    As for wireless charging... I don't know who first had it on a smartphone, but I know way back in 2009 Palm had it on one of their new phones.
    Yup - I have it on my Palm Pixi Plus from 2010. Phone and wireless charging puck still works.
    06-18-20 02:25 PM
    Yup - I have it on my Palm Pixi Plus from 2010. Phone and wireless charging puck still works.
    I really wish Palm had a few billion to burn back then.... WebOS had a much better chance of being a 3rd OS in 2009 than BlackBerry had with BB10 in 2013. A little more money, maybe they wouldn't have had so many poor build quality issues. And they might have caught on that people were trending bigger....

Even today many acknowledged how innovative the Pre was.

Still think Palm for $1.4 Billion would have been cheaper for BlackBerry than QNX at $200 Million (then another $4 Billion on development and three years wasted).

HP didn't have a clue what to do to fix Palms issues, but a marriage of Palm and BlackBerry. I'd give that about a 20% better shot than BB10.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-18-20 02:40 PM
    Motorola Droid Mini had wireless çharging as well as both CDMA & GSM and a bevy of cool stuff… Release Date: July 2013 Screen Size: 4.3″

Changing the app icon programmatically, can it be done?-465724445.jpeg
    06-18-20 03:04 PM
    I really wish Palm had a few billion to burn back then.... WebOS had a much better chance of being a 3rd OS in 2009 than BlackBerry had with BB10 in 2013. A little more money, maybe they wouldn't have had so many poor build quality issues. And they might have caught on that people were trending bigger....

Even today many acknowledged how innovative the Pre was.

Still think Palm for $1.4 Billion would have been cheaper for BlackBerry than QNX at $200 Million (then another $4 Billion on development and three years wasted).

HP didn't have a clue what to do to fix Palms issues, but a marriage of Palm and BlackBerry. I'd give that about a 20% better shot than BB10.
    Wow. You two have a great background on history. I really admire that. I'm an enthusiast and I love to explore various OS. If you guys had any plans to develop apps, I can volunteer to collect icons/image resources for you to pick from. And I would be glad to be putting up repository for it in an organized way. Anyways, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I do have a lot of respect for you guys. Keep it up!

Posted via CB10
    06-20-20 08:10 AM
    If you guys had any plans to develop apps,
    Lol, I can't speak for D3 but I could no more develop an app as fly an F-35. History, yes. I'm old enough to have used almost every OS out there. My favorite so far was definitely webOS.
    06-20-20 08:40 AM
    Lol, I can't speak for D3 but I could no more develop an app as fly an F-35. History, yes. I'm old enough to have used almost every OS out there. My favorite so far was definitely webOS.
    Yeah old.... but no app development capabilities at all.
    06-22-20 07:06 AM