Just letting my imagination run wild here.

I'm thinking when the hub goes on Android, BlackBerry will need to have the api of these apps that everybody is screaming for (I really don't know which ones) so that they can integrate them into the hub.

When BlackBerry implement these integration they can also effectively place them in the hub for BlackBerry 10. Indirectly, we using BlackBerry 10 can also have access to these apps without even downloading them.

Most of us don't even open apps on BlackBerry 10 anyway. We work directly from the hub. Do if these apps are integrated into the hub, we can get them.

What do you guys have?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 01:01 AM
    It won't happen like that, especially with 3rd party apps. The Hub receives data from an app and displays it there, the Hub doesn't go out and fetch the data by itself. Although you see the Hub displaying email, SMS, Facebook messages, etc. in BlackBerry 10, there's a lot that's happening behind the scenes which makes it appear as though the Hub is fetching this data. The Hub is just a place where other apps push their data into. For example, you can't have Facebook messages integrated into the Hub without first installing the Facebook app. The same applies to WhatsApp, BBM, Twitter, and many other apps.
    BlackBerry will most likely provide an API for developers to connect to the Hub on Android, just like what's done on BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry may choose to do their own thing with Facebook and others that have their own API that allows developers to connect (I suspect this will be limited to major apps like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) as it's much quicker for BlackBerry to do it than wait for Facebook to decide to do it.
    11-01-15 10:36 AM
    Well then that's really stupid. If I'm the developer I wouldn't waste my time with the BlackBerry Hub Rubbish. Who cares if it's the best, nobody uses it anyway.

A smarter strategy is for BlackBerry to get the api from the other app developers to integrate them. This is a more strategic way to ensure the survival of BlackBerry Hub rather than leaving their fate in the hands of other companies. Don't you think so?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 02:14 PM
    BlackBerry will most likely provide an API for developers to connect to the Hub on Android, just like what's done on BlackBerry 10.
    Of course they haven't actually done this yet. Regardless of facts, though, I get the impression that half the users on this site seem to be automatically assuming that they have. (Saw the same thing with Blend, and users asking apps for integration, despite its lack of a public API)
    11-15-15 09:59 AM
    Well then that's really stupid. If I'm the developer I wouldn't waste my time with the BlackBerry Hub Rubbish. Who cares if it's the best, nobody uses it anyway.

A smarter strategy is for BlackBerry to get the api from the other app developers to integrate them. This is a more strategic way to ensure the survival of BlackBerry Hub rather than leaving their fate in the hands of other companies. Don't you think so?

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure BlackBerry fully understands this, though I do agree with your assumption. I do think it would have been better if they managed to make the hub a complete drop-in replacement for Android's notification center (or whatever they call it). Sure, special APIs for enhanced integration are fine. But if that's necessary for even basic integration, then the hub will become useless.
    11-15-15 10:01 AM